Maybe it's just me? Reboot Trouble

Discussion in 'Team Chaos' started by eclsnowman, May 11, 2010.

1. eclsnowman

eclsnowman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I am not sure why, but both 1.2 and 1.3 have had a lot of random reboots on me. I have been trying my best to figure out why, but I just cannot pin it down. It happens while running random apps (everything from k9 email, browser, and Gmaps, to all my random other apps). It happens at medium temps (25-32 degrees clocked at 800mhz, and even 600mhz). It is killing me because I really... really want to be able to run this rom. It is weird because I have tried almost every rom at least once, tons of kernels, high clock speeds and I never had these problems before RedRum. I have reinstalled every app, wiped and reinstalled no apps, ran RedRum themed and naked versions. The only thing I haven't played with much on this is different kernels on these builds.

I left the kernel alone because stock the rom is plenty fast, and 1.2 & 1.3 are the only roms I can go 2 days on a charge without issue. This is the most battery conserving rom I have ever run by far.

If anyone can give me a hint on how to hunt these crashes out of my logs or something and find a solution you would be my savior.

2. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Hey there, would you be willing to try one of p3droid's kernels to see if the stability increases?

3. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    was going to suggest a p3 kernel as well. I run his Low Voltage 800mhz one right now, and it seems rock solid on my droid. It may just be a kernel issue, so it wouldn't hurt to give one of his a try. I'd start with a Low Voltage one, and if you have still have problems, move up to a Medium Voltage one.

4. mikedav1

mikedav1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From noob's POV. i have used Chevy's 1.2 mv, running at 1g and have never had a problem. I did with the stock kernel in the rom, dunno why, just did. This has been Gibralter aver since.

5. jayman350

jayman350 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    i tried out the p3 7 slot 1ghz kernel and it sent me into a constant boot loop so I went back to stock kernel that came with the rom. I've had good luck with ChevyNo1's kernels in the past.

6. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, love the way you described it!

7. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Folks, please don't feel you need to stick with my kernel. I know I am not the greatest kernel dev/hacker out there, so if you find a better one for you, by all means, do it.

:)

I personally really like chevy's kernels. I believe they are from a different source version, but that doesn't mean its a bad thing.

#7 adrynalyne, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  8. eclsnowman

eclsnowman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have used both P3, and Chevy kernels... just not on Redrum. I will give them a shot if you think it is likely be a kernel instability issue. I just hope my battery life stays this good. I am serious when I say I get two FULL days of Talk/email/browsing with the stock RedRum Kernel and on the naked rom (6 email accounts pinging away, 20 RSS Feeds syncing on newsroom, facebook and twitter widgets updating).

I will load up a new kernel when I get home and let you know the results.

p.s. I wouldn't go knocking your kernel ability Adrynalyne. If it is your Kernel that is giving me this battery life that is unreal.

9. eclsnowman

eclsnowman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy low voltage 1.0ghz running at 800mhz and low temps reboots too. On to P3. But I can already tell battery life is not as good on chevys as adryn's kernel. Plus on this rom chevy's at the same mhz lags more when typing in swype, and browser runs slower. If P3 doesn't fix it I will be at a loss.

10. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Can you reliably reproduce these reboots at will?

11. eclsnowman

eclsnowman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Totally Random, its not heat, load, or program dependent.

P3 1100_LV_Wi_USB_Teather has been stable today. And lag seems a lot less than with Chevy at the same clock speed. Weird thing is this 1100 Kernel stops at 1ghz in setcpu? Weird.

12. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, it is physically impossible for one kernel at 1Ghz to be slower than another kernel at 1GHz. I have about 5 hours of testing across 20 different kernels to back that statement up.

Now what can cause your issue is the Voltage settings for a particular kernel. And that will show up as faults, FCs, random data loss, and reboots.

Each CPU is unique in this aspect. So you have to test the 4 major kernels to see which work best for you at your chosen clock rate.