Maxx Shuts Off by itself - False Low Battery?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
^^^^^they have a good point..

But I'd say power it off, plug it in and let it charge 100%. Power it back on and try it out. If it continues to happen... See below...

If it keeps happening, theres a couple of ways of handling it.. One is to download gsam battery monitor from the play store and use it to monitor what's happening... If you're inexperienced.. This could be frustrating and bothersome... But it could show you if there's a battery drain causing your device to shut off..

Option two.. Back up your pics and contacts and music, do a factory data reset.. Then if it continues to happen, you know its a hardware issue and you would then request a warranty replacement device.

I think charging your maxx to 100% powered off will get things going in the right direction..

Remember to turn off your gps and other features you're not using... This will prolong your battery life.. Remember that signal strength and screen on time will greatly effect your battery life as well.. Hope this helps.

BEEonTHYME

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Razr Maxx
I know this is an old thread. I've had this phone since November 2011. RAZR Maxx. I have been getting the BSOD ( black screen of death) every Saturday or Sunday for months and months. Interestingly...every weekend.
The exact thing happens that the person who started this thread described.
I had issues with battery in May 2014. Not holding a charge. So I bought a replacement battery and switched it out. I watched YouTube videos on how to do it. Much easier than I thought it was going to be. The battery holds a charge again. However...every Saturday or Sunday early morning ...like 4 am or 5 am the phone goes black screen. I know the battery is fully charged. I keep phone next to my pillow as it is my alarm as well as my only source for internet as I am in rural area. There is a tower about a mile away from me.
I turn it off and on for sometimes hours...until it gets tired of the game and stays on.
I unplug and plug it in. A white light flashes on and I keep turning it on and it keeps dying and I don't give up. Eventually... it stays on. Until next weekend... I am a conspiracy theory type. Ha. I think Verizon has a switch they flip to force people with old phones that they think should be upgraded.
It certainly is odd. Especially since its NOT RANDOM.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I know this is an old thread. I've had this phone since November 2011. RAZR Maxx. I have been getting the BSOD ( black screen of death) every Saturday or Sunday for months and months. Interestingly...every weekend.
The exact thing happens that the person who started this thread described.
I had issues with battery in May 2014. Not holding a charge. So I bought a replacement battery and switched it out. I watched YouTube videos on how to do it. Much easier than I thought it was going to be. The battery holds a charge again. However...every Saturday or Sunday early morning ...like 4 am or 5 am the phone goes black screen. I know the battery is fully charged. I keep phone next to my pillow as it is my alarm as well as my only source for internet as I am in rural area. There is a tower about a mile away from me.
I turn it off and on for sometimes hours...until it gets tired of the game and stays on.
I unplug and plug it in. A white light flashes on and I keep turning it on and it keeps dying and I don't give up. Eventually... it stays on. Until next weekend... I am a conspiracy theory type. Ha. I think Verizon has a switch they flip to force people with old phones that they think should be upgraded.
It certainly is odd. Especially since its NOT RANDOM.
Wow. Maybe the phone needs to be exorcized... Just kidding. Really though, that's a very strange one. I'm wondering if somehow the local tower may be going into a system update or some other type of maintenance state on the weekend and it's causing this. The regularity of it seems to suggest a schedule of some sort and not just the position of the pin on your calendar.

Getting it back in normal operating mode seems morbidly frustrating. So sorry you're having this trouble but I'm stumped as to how to fix it. Have you tried a full factory restore?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yup.. Exorcized.. Make it do some push-ups lol :)

BEEonTHYME

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Razr Maxx
Hello. I'm back. It's Saturday.
You'll never guess what my phone did?! It shut off! I happened to be holding it and looking at it when it shut off. I looked at clock. It was exactly 5 p.m.---I kept trying to restart it...and it took until 8:20 p.m. to stop its nonsense. It usually happens at 5
a.m., but it waited until 5 p.m. today. Exactly 5p.m.
You Asked if I had done a factory restore, and I have. I had to be at work because I needed the "other" phone to talk to Verizon tech support while we tried "everything". The factory restore was done in May 2014.
I uninstalled all apps too. I waited to reply here, because I was kind of hoping it would stop once I complained out loud to the universe.
I plan on posting this phone problem on my towns Facebook swap/sell site. I am rural, as I have stated previously... and I don't
really know my neighbors. But I have to put it out there and see if anyone else is experiencing this power issue with their Android. Someone else HAS TO BE HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM?! It's just too well timed to be a coincidence.

BEEonTHYME

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Razr Maxx
I only have internet on phone. It was exceptionally annoying when it shut down because I was in an auction bidding situation and phone died and I lost the auction. GRRR!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I only have internet on phone. It was exceptionally annoying when it shut down because I was in an auction bidding situation and phone died and I lost the auction. GRRR!
Bummer. Wish we could help. Yours is perhaps one of the top 5 in strange phone issues I've seen here.