Maxx owners: do/have you sold android phones you used to use or keep them?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those who have sold their old Android phones. Aren't you worried about someone getting your information from the old phone? I know about factory resets, but I have read that one of the downfalls to Android is that even with a reset, all of your information is not completely removed. Granted, the person would have to be VERY good with getting into the internals of the phone, but it's possible, from what I read.

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
I have a question for those who have sold their old Android phones. Aren't you worried about someone getting your information from the old phone? I know about factory resets, but I have read that one of the downfalls to Android is that even with a reset, all of your information is not completely removed. Granted, the person would have to be VERY good with getting into the internals of the phone, but it's possible, from what I read.

I change my password to everything when I get a new phone, so if someone was able to get into anything on a phone I sell, the pw is already changed.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
mysticalmalissa said:
I change my password to everything when I get a new phone, so if someone was able to get into anything on a phone I sell, the pw is already changed.

From the article I read, if you've ever entered a credit card number, bank number, etc, that info can be found in the phone

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm no expert, but go into settings, privacy, and unselect the backup and restore boxes. Go into storage and reformat the Ineternal storage, then go back Into privacy and do a fdr and i think you're covered.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

steeveegee

Reaction score
i was gonna keep my droid x as a spare after i got my maxx. But i figured it was a waste to let it depreciate sitting in a drawer,
I have insurance so hopefully i wont need a backup phone.
so i sbf'd the phone formatted the sd card (not that i was paranoid about someone getting my info but because it had custom boot logos and animations on it)
i probably would have just done a factory reset and formatted the sd card if it was stock.
anyway i ended up selling it for 100 dollars on craigslist. it was nice to recoup some of the money i laid out for the upgrade.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
McAfee identity theft expert on which devices are safe to resell - Los Angeles Times

"
Siciliano said it came down to the type of device that was sold and what kind of operating system it was running.BlackBerries were totally impenetrable, “RIM has fantastic software,” he said. “They did a really good job of destroying data when you reset the factory settings.”
Similarly, he was unable to get data off devices running iOS such as the iPad and the iPhone. Devices running Windows 7 that are wiped by their owners also got his vote of confidence.
As for smartphones running the Android system and computers running Windows XP, Siciliano said he recommends people don’t sell them at all.
“Put it in the back of a closet, or put it in a vice and drill holes in the hard drive, or if you live in Texas take it out into a field and shoot it,” he said. "You don't want to sell your identity for 50 bucks.""

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Whoa, good info Jackie. I guess it's good my devices get run into the ground. I have managed to get the latest and greatest using one of my four upgrades and then one of my three sons gets my reject as their new phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Whoa, good info Jackie. I guess it's good my devices get run into the ground. I have managed to get the latest and greatest using one of my four upgrades and then one of my three sons gets my reject as their new phone.

Lol that's how I do it too :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yeah, usually its the one who's phone is on its last leg that gets my phone but my one child goes through phones like tp so many times it is a phone rotation unless he truly has the oldest phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Lol, I don't have that issue. I just got my son a maxx too.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I don't think most people would know how to get the info off the phone, I know I sure don't lol. But, when you're selling a phone, how do you know that that person isn't a phone geek to the extreme? I wish Android gave a clean wipe like Blackberry.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well a factory data restore, if the erase checkboxes are selected, should result in what you mention, a full wipe. At least that's what instructions say it will do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That's what I thought too. But according to the guy in the article that's not the case. But how do we know that maybe he just doesn't like android? We don't know any of this for sure, but from what the article says, android users shouldn't even worry about apps that remotely wipe your device.....

So idk how much to buy into what the article says. I'd have to research this more and see for myself :)

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
After hearing all this it doesn't sound worth it to get 100-150 bucks for my old phone...but then again what are the chances one can access your info after taking so many pre cautions ya know...