Maxx Illiteracy?

dmont

Reaction score
Why can't my Maxx read?

I have tried Drivesafe.ly, Text'n Drive & a couple of others. I still cannot get my Maxx to read text messages out loud. It will read email, but not SMS.

I depended heavily on this service on my Droid X. Not having it available of the new phone brings *Massive* frustration.

OP
D

dmont

Reaction score
Yes, to both.

Handcent is my text app of choice. I used it with DS.ly on the X with no issues (except the 'DS.ly can't read texts from Twitter' thing).

Because no app will read, I suspect the Maxx but can't imagine why it would be the problem.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've used SVOX with very good results. I've also used ShoutOut and was impressed with it as well. Text to Speech Extended has a large download number (popularity is usually a sign of performance, but not always). I also found that IVONA voice engine has some very nice sounding voices and often does a much better job of giving directions on Navigation than the stock voice.

There are many different Text to Speech tools for SMS, MMS, Email, Navigation and basic text. What you may not have realized is that when you find a result in search on the Play Store that fits the search, but isn't quite what you wanted, if you scroll down the page for the app, you'll see on the left a list of a few other apps that people have downloaded when looking for the same thing you are. Often times I find those alternate choices to be better than the one I found.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I use SafeReader (within Vlingo) and GoSMS Pro as my messaging app, and it reads back both texts & emails very well.

**tap'n**

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I use My MotoSpeak. It reads my text's and understands my TN/NY accent enough to be able to send a reply back. I use GoSms Pro as my text app.

Yeah, MotoSpeak was another one I forgot to mention...good call! I still have it installed, but like most everything I gyrate between a couple apps for a particular purpose. I don't know, I guess I'm just fickle! :icon_eek:

OP
D

dmont

Reaction score
After several days I think I have it.

Thank you for all the suggested apps. But it seems the problem wasn't the apps themselves. None of them read my texts.

I finally started deleting other apps that have voice functions and when Waze was gone everything else cleared up. I have reinstalled DS.ly and it works fine.

Too bad. I really liked Waze.

dondidondi

Reaction score
Still working?

After several days I think I have it.

Thank you for all the suggested apps. But it seems the problem wasn't the apps themselves. None of them read my texts.

I finally started deleting other apps that have voice functions and when Waze was gone everything else cleared up. I have reinstalled DS.ly and it works fine.

Too bad. I really liked Waze.

Is it still reading text messages? My maxx HD has never read messages and Handcent and drivesafe.ly were the first two apps installed

OP
D

dmont

Reaction score
Is it still reading text messages? My maxx HD has never read messages and Handcent and drivesafe.ly were the first two apps installed

Not in that configuration. Drivesafe.ly became way too unreliable and unpredictable. I have reloaded Waze and now use Dragon Assistant. It's not as seamless as DS.ly use to be, but performs acceptably.

dondidondi

Reaction score
Just got it to work, in the Handcent settings check lower priority and dont make Handcent the default messaging app and it'll work. Handcent will still get all of your message and drivesafe.ly will read messages aloud.