Maxx HD & Google Wallet

arsci

Reaction score
I did some searching, and didn't find anything that would help me much so here it goes. I know Verizon blocks Google Wallet, and when I go to the app in the market it says not compatible, etc. Now I used to have a Nexus and I found the apk online and downloaded and it worked great. When I upgraded to the Maxx HD I was really disappointed this method didn't work. I even tried it for myself, and quickly found the phone blocked it from installing completely. I forget the message, but anyone that's tried it knows the result. I recently rooted my maxx hd, and using the Voodoo root keeper upgraded to 4.1.2.

Just for giggles, I tried to install wallet again to see what would happen and to my surprise...it worked! It installed with no problems and when I clicked "open" the app started launching and quickly threw a popup that said: "Not supported: Unfortunately, Google Wallet has not yet been certified in your country or on your device / carrier." Obviously it's still blocking the app, but it got further than before.

I did some google-ing and found a couple threads for the Galaxy SIII that has a workaround that involved modifying the build.prop file. Here is the thread I found:

Google Wallet Working Through play Store! (W/Root)
and
Google wallet fix for SGS3 US variants AT&T, T-MOBILE, US Cellular, VERIZON, etc

From what I can tell, it involved changing these values in build.prop to this (the second link is the same, but uses different values. "htc_jewel"):

ro.product.model=SPH-L710
ro.product.name=d2spr
ro.product.device=d2spr

My question is would something like this work on the RAZR MAXX HD? I have enough ability to work through rooting/rom'ing, but changing up my build.prop file was a little more than I felt like experimenting with on my own so I though I'd ask first.

BTW, here is the thread that had the link to download the apk: [APP] Google Wallet (APK: 1.1-R57v5, Play | Galaxy Nexus > XDA
I clicked on the link that says "com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel.apk" from the phone and it downloaded and installed with no problems.