Maxx HD camera... is it realy that bad?

cjj2d

Reaction score
I am helping my dad out with getting a new phone (he is coming from a 6-8 year old flip phone hahaha).

Is the camera on the S3 that much better than the Maxx HD? From all I have read this is one of the biggest differences (that my dad would notice/use).

He has no experience with smart phones, so this is going to be a fun experience for me (many calls to "help" )

dan.dar

Reaction score
The biggest knock against it is its low light performance. I took a bunch of photos so far and thought they were fine. Then yesterday I took photos of my daughter next to a fireplace with fairly low light and my mom took the same shots at the same time with her iphone 4 (non S). Both cameras' photos were equally crappy. In fact the Maxx probably were a bit more usable, though neither were print worthy.

So if you think that iphone 4 took good enough shots, you will think that razr maxx takes good enough shots. In a vacuum the camera is a pretty crappy camera, compared to other cell phones (as long as they are not one X, S3 or iphone 4s/5) it's just fine.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Photos are adequate, but they come out soft, with low contrast, and very low vividness. It looks like a photo taken with a cell phone 3-4 years ago honestly.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
I am helping my dad out with getting a new phone (he is coming from a 6-8 year old flip phone hahaha).

Is the camera on the S3 that much better than the Maxx HD? From all I have read this is one of the biggest differences (that my dad would notice/use).

He has no experience with smart phones, so this is going to be a fun experience for me (many calls to "help" )

See this thread for further discussion: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6-pictures-taken-your-droid-razr-maxx-hd.html

charliez916

Reaction score
Not too sure its the camera. Transfered photos from my htc thunderbolt to my max hd and they looked better on the TB

ambrown

Reaction score
I'm not a Razr HD owner, but my anecdotal experiments yeilded decent photos, and the shutter seemed pretty snappy. It's certainly not the best camera on the market, but it's also not the worst. For a top of the line phone the camera doesn't quite match the best from Samsung and HTC (I have no experience with Sony or LG smartphones but some of their cameras get good ratings) however, the Razr will definitely outperform the cameras on most lower end budget smartphones, and it will blow flip phone cameras out of the water.

In low light situations it might be helpful to try and get the flash going, and you can always download a third party camera app to squeeze more oompf out of your smartphone, but unless your dad is a shutterbug I doubt he'll notice really negative problems with the phone. But if camera is your number one priority the Droid DNA is set to be out on the 21st of this month and it has the superb camera of the One X on it. So you may want to check the other options as well. But ultimately I'm a fan of Motorola hardware and I feel they make great phones. And even though the camera may not kill the iPhone, the Galaxy S3, or the One X (DNA), it's still a better camera then what you had two years ago.

I do wish that Motorola would sep up their game on the camera, and then it would be no contest which phone to buy, but overall the camera passes.

clintro

Reaction score
I took this one this morning with the HD MAXX camera.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm not a Razr HD owner, but my anecdotal experiments yeilded decent photos, and the shutter seemed pretty snappy. It's certainly not the best camera on the market, but it's also not the worst. For a top of the line phone the camera doesn't quite match the best from Samsung and HTC (I have no experience with Sony or LG smartphones but some of their cameras get good ratings) however, the Razr will definitely outperform the cameras on most lower end budget smartphones, and it will blow flip phone cameras out of the water.

In low light situations it might be helpful to try and get the flash going, and you can always download a third party camera app to squeeze more oompf out of your smartphone, but unless your dad is a shutterbug I doubt he'll notice really negative problems with the phone. But if camera is your number one priority the Droid DNA is set to be out on the 21st of this month and it has the superb camera of the One X on it. So you may want to check the other options as well. But ultimately I'm a fan of Motorola hardware and I feel they make great phones. And even though the camera may not kill the iPhone, the Galaxy S3, or the One X (DNA), it's still a better camera then what you had two years ago.

I do wish that Motorola would sep up their game on the camera, and then it would be no contest which phone to buy, but overall the camera passes.

The sad thing is that it's really not all that much better. The camera hardware remains largely unchanged from the hardware in the Droid X. For whatever reason, Motorola has just been content to coast by on hardware that they deem good enough and tinker with slight improvements in the software.

Good pictures can be taken with the camera on the MAXX HD. The various shots users here have taken provide excellent examples of that. And it's definitely a better performer than most low range to mid range devices out there. It's just disappointing that Motorola hasn't seen the need to jump into the big leagues on this front with Samsung, HTC, and Apple. I'm really hoping they get their act together next year when Google's influence will start being directly felt in the devices that get released.

mgrande

Reaction score
I think it takes good pics, to get the most out of it you just have to be aware of your environment and adjust the exposure accordingly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

niXerKG

Reaction score
I don't really care about the camera on a cellphone since I have a ton of camera gear already but it's nice to have for quick shots, though with an eyefi card you almost eliminate the advantage of a cellphone camera.

Anyways I will say compared to my other phones the Motorola camera is not terrible, it's not great though. In low light it's pretty much unusable and if you pixel peep you're sure to find noise but as a camera for quick shots for Facebook or something where it will be down-rezzed it's pretty good.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I don't really care about the camera on a cellphone since I have a ton of camera gear already but it's nice to have for quick shots, though with an eyefi card you almost eliminate the advantage of a cellphone camera.
Even with the EyeFi you still need to lug around your camera gear. When I go into the city I very rarely bring my DSLR, it's bulky, and a prime target for thieves.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The thing about Motorola vs some other manufactures.....they have different fields of importance. For Moto, its reception, phone features. I will even say battery life. For others...its multi media features. It is what it is....there are folks that have switched to and away from Moto for these reasons.