MattyP's .215 Leak Classroom

pelicanbill

Reaction score
on a canal narrowboat somewhere in England
I've edited this post because i don't think it within the spirit of this fine forum. I apologise for my lack of tact. I do feel that this thread has widened somewhat but maybe I'm just being jealous :^)

Whatever, i would appreciate some help on resolving the problem of not being able to instal the 215 update onto my phone ...... Cheers!

Last edited:

eek88dj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I too have a Razr Maxx and I live less than a mile from my cell tower, but in what Verizon now calls a "variable signal area" - which means we get crappy signal (often 1X) most of the time if we're lucky. Distance from the tower is only part of the signal strength equation. The .215 upgrade did not impact my signal strength at all.

When I got my Razr Maxx, it too showed less signal bars than my previous phone and I was concerned. By checking the signal strength values in settings, I discovered that the bars my Maxx showed did not agree with the signal strength numbers. I think it's a problem with at least some of the Razr Maxx's. (Check signal strength by going to system settings -> about phone -> status -> network type and strength.) As a workaround, I installed the Signal Notification app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logicmonkey.signalnotify), which can display the real signal strength as a numeric value in your status bar. That way I know the real signal strength, not just the inaccurate bars readout.

Also, Rootmetrics (RootMetrics | Measuring mobile performance for you, and with you) provides a great tool for collecting signal strength information and uses it to create a database that lets folks see the real signal data in areas where data has been collected. It shows clearly how often the carriers lie about coverage, but that's another conversation.

The problem may be your particular phone set getting worse reception, but it could just be its signal bars lying to you. Hopefully I have given you some tools to figure that out.

I ordered a replacement yesterday. Im sick of it. I try your signal mines rt-115dbm..like i said i had the bionic had full data signal since i went to the Maxx it sucks bad!!! There no trees blocking my signal or hills. I live in town. I live in town. We have great signal here.

Last edited:

eek88dj

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
My signal with one bar is-115dbm. I downloaded what you said its the same reading. Thanks for trying to help.

jimmysif88

Reaction score
Im trying to do the .215 leak and the link brings me to a dropbox error.
can anyone help

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
eek88dj said:
I ordered a replacement yesterday. Im sick of it. I try your signal mines rt-115dbm..like i said i had the bionic had full data signal since i went to the Maxx it sucks bad!!! There no trees blocking my signal or hills. I live in town. I live in town. We have great signal here.

Possibly not a factor in your situation eek but it is possible your actual signal strength was as good or better on your Maxx. When the Maxx's upgraded to ICS, many people reported that they thought they got worse signal because they judged their signal strength by the # of bars but the reality is that Motorola decided that giving more of a range on the bars was a better way to report signal strength... so less bars did not mean less signal. Comparing ICS bars with GB bars on Motorola phones proved that to be so. Two bars on ICS tended to be the same "actual" signal strength as 4 bars on GB.

If you didn't get the actual signal on the bionic, it's possible your Maxx actually has better signal strength.

While you wait for your replacement, track the actual signal strength by the dbm number in various areas. When you get the replacement, track the signal strength in the same areas. If it is not any better then keep your original.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Downloaded to my phone

Open your app drawer, and then open your "My Files" app, and then tap "Internal Storage"

Scroll down to the "Download" folder, and tap to open it.

Find the .zip file, then press and hold it until a menu opens, then tap "Move" (a "Paste" button will appear at the bottom)

Hit the back button twice until you get back to where it says "Internal Storage" and "SD Card", then tap "SD Card" and hit the paste button that appeared.

Simple as that, you will be ready to complete the course. :)

jimmysif88

Reaction score
Thank you so much it is installed I hope it takes out some of the glitch that ice cream sandwich has caused and I hope it gives me the battery life that it used to have on Gingerbread

Thanks again for all your help you are the man

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you so much it is installed I hope it takes out some of the glitch that ice cream sandwich has caused and I hope it gives me the battery life that it used to have on Gingerbread

Thanks again for all your help you are the man

No problem! Glad you got it installed! You should see improvement in battery life, almost everyone has, but everyone's phone setup is different. :)