Massive problems with BB v0.5

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Beardface, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    They all started developing over the past week. I've been having big issues with force closes, phone resets, overhearing, etc. Redraws take horribly long. Handscent has stopped storing text messages as they come in. I only get the notification, but it never shows up in the app itself.

I have loved this for a while, but recently, I just can't take it anymore. Anyone have similar issues in the past, or am I pretty much screwed? If I can't get any help, I'm going to wipe and go back to stock.

I mean, a simple example... I can't use Google Navigation anymore. It will run for a couple minutes, then force itself out of the program, then when I try to reaccess, it goes into an overheating loop and just resets itself. Heck, anytime I'm on 3G instead of WiFi anymore it overheats... from doing nothing but accessing the network.

2. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been running BB v0.5 since it launched with Chevy's LV 1.0 ghz kernel and it's been rock solid.

What kernel are you running, and at what speed?

Install anything new lately that might be running in the background?

3. ndhill1976

ndhill1976 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is most likely your kernal.

4. TangoSucka

TangoSucka Member

Ratings:
    +0

Mine's been acting like this for awhile now too. I still have part of a Kold Kooks Fusion blue theme on mine too. And I'm not going stock, but I'm almost ready to just ready to reflash .5 and start from scratch. But, I'd rather not. I know it's my kernal, but I can't figure out how to install a new one.

I have a clockword mod. If someone could just point me in the general direction to where to download them and how to install them, it'd be much appreciated.

dancedroid

5. xkape

xkape Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Do a search.. I know the 3 main kernels out there are Chevy1's, p3's and slayher's. BUT.. you will need to check to make sure they work with BB 0.5. I don't run BB so I have no idea. Just trying to give you a direction to go in.

Installing a kernal is like installing a ROM. just boot into recovery and flash it as an update.zip.

6. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Took your advice and backed my kernel down a bit and it seems to have helped quite a lot. Not getting any real heating issues so far, unless I'm just on the phone for a while, but it doesn't get as hot as it used to.

I have only tried Chevy kernels before, so I don't see why I should change. I was using 1.25Mhz with Med Voltage, so that probably wasn't too wise. Backed it down to 1.10Mhz with Ultra Low Voltage, and its running as cool as a refrigerator. Although it seems the battery life may have taken a bit of a hit, and I'll have to keep playing with it to figure out. I was getting close to 17 hours with the previous settings, and now it looks like I'll be getting close to 14. About 20 minutes of chatting on the phone a little while ago zapped what my phone thinks is about 20% of the battery life. Who knows if thats even true, cause I reset my battery stats in nandroid as well...

Out of curiosity, anyone be able to explain the big difference between Medium, Low, and Ultra Low Voltage for these Kernels? I know the difference in Mhz and how it relates to everything in it, but whats the big deals with the Voltage and how it affects the phone?

7. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    I was getting my kernels from ROM Manager, which I downloaded in the market. However, it looks like the link within the App to the Chevy kernels is a bit broken right now.

Have no fear, though, as Chevy is a DroidForums user, and has his own message list on here. Just look a couple down from the Bugless forum and you'll see his, and he has a few threads with his kernels included. Just download the zip file, rename to update.zip and put on your SD card and do a clockwork update and you should be fine. As always, make a backup before you update.

His kernels are for anything from 800Mhz to 1250Mhz and have Medium, Low, and Ultra Low Voltages for each.

Don't know anything about the others. I know the slayher ones are also found in ROM Manager, but I have not experimented with any of them, so I can't help you out at all... Sorry

8. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Do you have to rename a kernal to update.zip to install it? I've been having prblems installing and if you do have to then that explains it. I've just been downloading after download is complete I pull down notification bar and click on it. It then takes me to rom manager and asks to boot into recovery to install so I hit ok and it extracts and installs. But here lately it will install and then get stuck at logo.

Sent from my Droid

9. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    I am not 100% sure the way you are doing it is right. It sounds right, but I just did it this morning, so I know the way I did it works, so I'll explain now...

Download to your computer. Put on your desktop and rename the file to update.zip. Then connect your Droid to your computer via USB and place the update.zip file directly onto the root of the SD Card. Unlink phone from the computer and then go into ROM Manager and choose 'Reboot into Recovery'. This will take you into clockwork and I would suggest backing up your phone first. Then on the main clockwork screen choose to apply update.zip. Should be fine after that.

10. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3

Yea I will try that the next time I decide to try a differnt kernal. I just figured since you can download stuff from rom manager that you should be able to click on the download and let rom manager do its thing. Its weird bc my way worked with no problems until recently and that's when it got stuck at boot logo. I then went back into recovery and rebooted recovery then rebooted phone again and then it finally worked so idk why it worked for like 3 kernals and then not for another. Thanks for your help
    Sent from my Droid

11. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Well, I should clarify. Before Chevy's links in ROM Manager went awry, I was downloading and applying his kernels through ROM Manager itself, so the way in which you did it should be fine.

But considering I am personally unable to access the Chevy kernels in ROM Mgr (I just tried), you might want to do it the way I have described above.

As I said, I have been using this for about 24 hours now, and I am seeing a noticeable difference in performance. Seems much more stable and nowhere near as warm temperature-wise. In fact, I don't think it has gone above 100F today when it was regularly running between 102F and 120F with normal use.

12. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    and which of chevys kernels are you using? where can i find them to try them?