Market Restore and GPS Bugs

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by nukem, Jul 8, 2010.

1. nukem

nukem New Member

First I want to say your doing a great job on this mod. Its incredible how fast it is. As a Gentoo user I also like how your building from source ;)

While I understand you have your own backup and restore apps and settings I'd personally prefer to have Android do it for me. What I am saying is when I wipe my phone I'd rather have Google just auto download all of the apps I previously had and restore the config. Bugless and stock both do this fine but SS doesn't for some reason. I do have the settings checked to do this, it just never happens.

Another issue I am having is with GPS. I don't get great GPS signal in my apartment but I will get in the general area(probably using AGSP). On stock and Bugless it gets it within about 50 meters on maps. In other apps it at least gets my city. When I'm running SS it just says GPS signal not found and dies.

Finally one suggestion Bugless has the Chrome to Phone app. I pulled it from Bugless and installed it on SS and it works great. You might want to consider putting it in your standard build.

Again, great job,

nuke
  2. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT New Member

Yea the GPS does not work at ALL for me.
  3. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

There is a thread with a patch to fix the GPS among other things...

since I'm feeling rather lazy atm... I won't link the thread... but I will tell you it's clearly labeled... and in this section of the forums.

:icon_eek:
  4. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd New Member

^^^^^lol..... was just going to say the same thing. However to assist I tracked the link down

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/56941-gps-weather-widgets-location-fix.html

As for the APP question one thing you need to keep in mind. SS is built from source which is totally different then a stock ROM or what Pete puts out. Pete does not build from source as far as I know of. His worked is based off the leaked SBF file which is stock and then he mods it with his stuff. Being I'm a fan of source built ROMs in place of ROMs like Pete's work I've yet to come across source built that will fully sync like you are asking.
  5. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

The only problem with doing it this way... is your apps that you don't get from the market... ie. Flashplayer, chrome to phone, swype, and other things you have to manually install the .apk on will not get restored this way.

Not saying your way is stupid, or any other way is better...

but the nature of the rom... especially on leaked . incomplete source code like the previous versions of FroYo; may not allow you do easily do it this way.

bk- and rstapps is a really simple way to do this and avoid any possible market issues you may encounter.

Also; I've had Chrome to phone since SSv4.0... it's just a matter of installing the .apk and then backing up your apps :)
  6. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

Said even better than I could have imagined myself saying. dancedroid
  7. nukem

nukem New Member

I didn't try the GPS fix since I just downloaded the image last night, I assumed that was already in. I guess I'll have to try when I get home.

As for the syncing Android with Google for settings and applications in market I don't see why source code downloaded from Google wouldn't have this. I'm thinking this is some sort of setting in the build system. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like this features and its not like you can't turn it off in the settings gui. If the standard google code doesn't have it which Android program does this? The market app? If we can narrow it down to the app I could build from source and include the pre-compiled package from BB.

JBPruitt: I know I did that too. I'm just suggesting its in the standard build.