Market downloads....want to eliminate a few....HOW?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by chevycam94, Jul 29, 2010.

1. chevycam94

chevycam94 Steel Droid ROM Developer Developer

I am loving the automatic download feature with the market when I reinstall a ROM. But it still downloads apps that I tried ONCE, about 4 months ago, and never use anymore, and dont want to. Is there any way to permenantly remove them from my downloads list, so they wont be downloaded anymore automatically?

Also, some of the new apps I download wont redownload automatically when I reinstall a new ROM. What gives?
  2. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

Did you uninstall them through the market or an uninstaller app?
    I think it could be ROM specific, but not 100% sure.

Try uninstalling through the market if you haven't done it that way. Reinstall/Uninstall using the market.
  3. chevycam94

I usually just use the manage applications menu in settings to uninstall stuff. I just did the install/uninstall via the market, so we will see if that works.
  4. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

Did it work?
  5. chevycam94

Ive been using my phone almost all day, non-stop. Seems BB v0.4 is doing a damn good job of keeping up with me. :) I will give it a wipe, fresh BB install, and see if it works, and get back to you in about 20 minutes or so.

I installed all the apps I didnt want via the market, then uninstalled them, also via the market. So hopefully this will work.

Also, while I am wiping and such, do you know why my recently installed market apps (from within 2 weeks) are not automatically reinstalling with a fresh ROM install, when much older apps DO?
  6. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

No clue, it may be a server syncing issue. It happened to me with 1 app as well. I would expect it is a glitch/bug or something on google's end.
  7. chevycam94

Ok, so the uninstallation of apps from the Market instead of the apps manager in settings does nothing.

I did a bit of digging, and I think I found out why its doing what it is.

When I made a backup of a clean install of FRF84B, I had apps that automatically installed from FRF57. I uninstalled all the apps that I did'nt want in my backup from the apps manager in settings. Then I made a NANDROID backup. (how I make my clean base installs, with everything running and activated and the settings I want)

I found this file while digging around:

/data/data/com.android.vending/databases/assets.db

It contains the list of apps that were downloaded/installed/uninstalled from the Market. It always ADDS to the list, but nothing is ever REMOVED from the list.

So my question would be, can I use my SQLite editor and remove the lines containing the apps that I DONT want from "assets10" in the assets.db file, and save it back to its original location, then make a NANDROID again. Then when the NANDROID is restored, will it only use what it finds in the assets.db file and automatically download the apps in the list?

Maybe even Pete could shed some light on this. I'm getting a lot more adventurous in my attempt to do what Pete does, and tinker until I find something that's cool or that I want to learn.
  8. chevycam94

I take it this is something that 98% of the people on this forum have even messed with, so there is not much knowledge floating around out there on this subject. Am I really the only one peeking into dark corners expecting to find something?
  9. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

If you're comfortable using SQLite to delete the rows, why not just select the data into a second database/table first, give it a shot, and at least you have a restore path. I've never messed about with it, but hey, taking chances is how knowledge gets generated ;)