Market Crashing

Discussion in 'Sourcery ROM' started by buellboy9, Jun 9, 2011.

1. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Not sure what's happening. I was downloading an app from the market. The app finished downloading and was successfully installed (it was the "iBeer" app, if that's important). Right after the installation finished, the Market app crashed.

Now, I keep repeatedly getting "The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

This pops up at random, or when I try to open the Market app itself. I've rebooted the phone, and it makes no difference. I've uninstalled the app, and again, it made no difference.

HELP!! Everything was working fine up to a half an hour ago. :icon_eek:
  2. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

You might picked up something else while downloading that app.. i would do a factory reset to see if it helps. I get those crashes on the Amazon appstore app sometimes..

Tapped from my Sourcerized D1
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

I tried two things. The lease drastic was to clear the data for the market app. That ALMOST looked like it was going to work... I opened the market, and it wanted me to agree to the terms... and as soon as I did, it crashed again.

So then I just used ROM Manager to restore my last good backup and I'm up and running again. I just have to re-sign into all of my financial apps again, as that backup was taken BEFORE I'd gone through all of that.

I've a feeling doing a factory reset would've been an even BIGGER pain in the .... Thank goodness I'm a firm believer in backing stuff up.
  4. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

I spoke too soon. Looks like iBeer had nothing to do with it, it was just the first symptom. It looks like if I try to download ANYTHING from the market, this situation arises. I had a couple of updates to my apps this morning, so I hit "Apply All." The first app downloaded, installed properly, and then the market crashed. I started getting the "market crash" pop up over and over again. As before, rebooting didn't fix anything... I had to restore an older backup of the system to stop it.

So I tried updating just ONE app, instead of all three at once. Same thing... app installed successfully, market crashed, and then the incessant pop-ups began again. I can't use this ROM like this, this is NUTS. Maybe if I flash a theme that has the older market app?? I flashed the "GB" theme to get the new one but that might've been a mistake.
  5. Chizzele

I believe most of the Themes have the newer market app. Some of them might have it themed in colors. Not sure why this is happening, are you doing the auto sync or manual, are you restoring any data at all?
    Are you using 3g or wifi?
  6. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

When I woke up this morning, I had the little notification that there were updates available. I went to the market, selected "My apps" from the menu pop-up, and saw three apps have been updated. I selected "Update All" and all three began downloading.

After the first one finished downloading and installing, the market app crashed. Every attempt to reopen the market resulted in it crashing before ever opening. When I rebooted, I just kept getting the pop-up of the market crashing over and over, despite me not even trying to open the market. At that point, I restored again from ROM Manager, because the constant pop-ups were making the phone unusable.

So I went back into the market and figured I'd just do each app, one at a time, manually. I selected the first app, it downloaded, installed, and the market crashed again. And again, the same, incessant pop-up of the market apparently trying to restart a background thread and crashing over and over and over.

So again, I restored from my backup just so I'd have a usable phone, but I still have three updates waiting to be applied. Not sure how to proceed.
  7. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Oh, I was doing all of this at home on my home WiFi connection, but this first appeared yesterday afternoon over a 3G connection, so that doesn't seem to matter.
  8. Chizzele

Hmmm.... not sure what to say my friend... we never had that issue before. i'm trying to think if the vending.apk there is in some of the themes wont agree with some of your apps... can you flash a separate vending app?
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  9. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Where would I get one (n00b here...)?
  10. Chizzele

Here try this market app its 2.2.11 the newer one - Vending.Apk 2.2.11

Not sure if it will but might do the trick, flash it over your current one no need to wipe or anything.
    This is a .apk file, install through file manager or astro not through recovery. If you are having a hard time with it let me know and i will zip it for you.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  11. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

How do I flash an .apk file? Just like a .zip?

By the way, I just went into the market just now, and without even trying anything, it crashed... Could it be a memory issue? How can I tell how much working free memory I have? "About Phone" reports 43MB available out of 225MB... that SOUNDS like it should be plenty...
  12. Chizzele

Just like your installing an app, i'll zip it. hang on..
  13. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Okay, I installed it... but it didn't make any difference... it crashed when I tried to start it. :icon_evil:
  14. Chizzele

Here is a link to a zipped Market app - Vending

If this was memory issues the market would of just disappeared not FC so i don't that's the issue.
  15. Chizzele

Hmmm i'm out of ideas... Eagle.. any thoughts ?
  16. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

I tried wiping the data, but the same thing happened as when I tried this before. I launched the market, it asked me to agree to its terms, and as soon as I did... it crashed. Is there some way to save the "crash data" so that I can send it to you? I'm not sure where it's being sent right now... Google?
  17. Chizzele

If you restore a working backup and install the new market 2.2.11 over it and restore your apps manually not with the auto sync one by one... would that work. I'm just thinking there is an app that might started all this.
  18. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Final thought... If I go back to the ORIGINAL "Full Sourcery 2.2" ROM, can I just install this market app on top of that? I realize this means going through the full "reinstall all apps" again, but I'm sort of at wit's end here.

I would almost think it was the "iBeer" app, BUT I reinstalled a backup that was taken PRIOR to my installing that package, so it shouldn't be a factor.
  19. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Just did a full factory reset, and when the market started reloading my apps, it loaded the first one down, then died. Damn it!! What the heck happened???
  20. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Tried this. Did a full factory reset. Wiped the Dalvik cache, then restored my last working backup. Installed the new market apk, and as soon as I went into the market: BOOM! FC again.

I think this weekend when I have some time, I'm going to start ALL over again and reinstall from scratch (unless you, eagle or gflam come up with something else to try).
Search tags for this page

android market crashes on open

android market keeps closing after i open it
com.android.vending crashed
com.android.vending crashes
droid x2 process com.android.vending
market keeps crashing can't download apps
market process com android vending has stopped unexpectedly
vending.apk has stopped unexpectedly
why is android.vending popping up on my phone