Market constantly force closes and cannot update phone

kmwf13

Reaction score
I bought my phone in October and have downloaded only one thing from the market when I first got it and didn't have any problems. Other than that, I haven't used the phone to do anything other than make calls and go on the internet. So my phone is not rooted.

At the beginning of January, I started experiencing problems with the market crashing. If I try to download something, I get the message: The application Market (process.com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. and the Force close button is present. Then this morning when I looked at my phone, it said there was an update available. When I tried to install it, I got the market message again.
I don't know what prompted this problem because I haven't done anything to the phone other than take the updates that are pushed to me.

And I have tried clearing the cache, etc, but it doesn't do anything - still won't let me download anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
K

kmwf13

Reaction score
Thanks, but that didn't work. After doing that, and clearing the cache, etc, I am still getting the same error.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you tried: From the Home Screen/Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All/Market/Clear Data ?

If that doesn't straighten things out I would recommend trying a factory hard reset:

• [FONT=&quot]Turn the power off. If your HTC DROID Incredible is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Hold the Volume Down button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Press and release the Power button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Press and release the Power button[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.[/FONT]

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
^^^^ what BFF said. I had this happen on my daughters Incredible. We had to reset the market app by going into settings>applications>all>market>clear data. Then I backed out of the settings rebooted her phone and then had to sign into the Market using her google sign-in and all was fixed.

Let us know if this works for you or not.