Market Apps That People Want But Don't Know Exist

km75

Reaction score
In light of apples implementation of siri and samsungs use of facial recognition in the new nexus phone it seems to me like quite a few people are unaware of what we have available to us via the market. I saw a forum that had people talking about the whole facial rcognition thing and all I was thinking is wow, I've been using VISIDON for a while now. Works great btw! And now its been documented all over the place about the many different voice action applications in the market. But I was using the VOICE ACTIONS app before I even heard about siri. There seem like there are so many apps that people would love to have that people don't even know exist.
Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

SupperDroid

Reaction score
That's the power of marketing by a known company. You take old technology that has been around for a while, repackage it and all of a sudden it is cutting edge, And it sells 20 Million devices in 3 days. You are right, there are all kinds of neat apps the people don't know about and do not unlock the full potential of their device. I use Speaktoit with the Svox voice engine and it is as good as Siri would ever be.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I'm always using Google Voice Search by holding down the search button on my phone. Usually I do "Navigate [address]" or simply ask it a question so that it gets googled. What are the advantages of an app like Speaktoit. It seems like it does pretty much the same thing as Google's version.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
I'm always using Google Voice Search by holding down the search button on my phone. Usually I do "Navigate [address]" or simply ask it a question so that it gets googled. What are the advantages of an app like Speaktoit. It seems like it does pretty much the same thing as Google's version.

These other apps are a little more interactive than google search. I would suggest to give them a try and see if you actully like all the extra features. For some individuals it might seem a little over the top having your phone carry on a conversation with you. But for others like me its about seeing what our phones are capable of doing. And when it comes to practicality sometimes when you ask a question you don't get sent to google you actually get an answer verbalized to you. 1 less step. Just got to try it out I quess.

davishusband

Reaction score
In light of apples implementation of siri and samsungs use of facial recognition in the new nexus phone it seems to me like quite a few people are unaware of what we have available to us via the market. I saw a forum that had people talking about the whole facial rcognition thing and all I was thinking is wow, I've been using VISIDON for a while now. Works great btw! And now its been documented all over the place about the many different voice action applications in the market. But I was using the VOICE ACTIONS app before I even heard about siri. There seem like there are so many apps that people would love to have that people don't even know exist.

I use voice action app too, i love it

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!

brandon9559

Reaction score
Love voice actions...who needs siri when you have jeanie

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It is actually a Google feature. Any ICS phone will have it.

And it is true. A lot if the features in both iOS and ICS have been done before.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
There are forum areas for 'Droid Apps" and within this Droid Apps for "App Announcements". I wish more individuals posted app information in these forum areas. I would also like developers to post information on new apps and app improvement here.

I browse these daily to see what is new in app land. It is much easier to see the incremental here that searching the App Market.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Here is a good discussion of the difference between Siri and Google Voice Actions:
Speech Smack-Down: Siri vs. Android Voice Actions - Businessweek

Here is a discussion of Siri, Vlingo and Dragon Go:
Apple's Siri Versus Dragon Go! and Vlingo | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

As I read these, Siri looks to be a major improvement in interaction using your voice (and ears). Android has its benefits like the ability to search for a business and call it, and ICS brings open mic, but both seem less intelligent than Siri when it comes to commands. I'm not so sure that matters much, but would like it if Android had a bit of fuzzy logic.

Here is a comparison that looks at ICS also:
Apple's Siri vs. Android's Voice Actions: Feature Showdown | PCWorld