Market apps downloading to sdcard wtf?

Discussion in 'ShadowROM' started by Squadalah_man, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man Member

mountain view, callifornia (home of google and the
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I update or download from the market it downloads but does not install... then I found all my failed downloads in the download folder on my sdcard... they install fine but don't show in the market as installed and are also unamed.
    How can I fix this? Its pissing me off big time! This is surely the trechery of duke onklet :/

Squadala we are off!

2. dbscothorn

dbscothorn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have also had this problem ever since Froyo. I would estimate over half of my downloads, from AppBrain or the Market, happen in the same fashion you have described. I have cleared cache and data in the Market app. It will work great for a few downloads but then resume with said issue.

On a side note, I've noticed when I switch roms and "redownload" all my apps from Appbrain after a clean install there are no download issues.

This is a persistent issue regardless of 3G, Wifi or roms and themes. As always, any help or directions are greatly appreciated.

3. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Froyo gave developers a NEW option for installing their apps from market. DEvs now have the choice (unknown to YOU) where they prefer the app be installed:

App Install Location | Android Developers

There are ways to override this developer decision (since it is just a preference):

Android 2.2 Froyo Tips: Install Applications to the SD Card by Default | Mobile Phone Blog

Another method I've recently heard of is deleting a certain file that doesnt get deleted when switching roms:

/mnt/secure/asec/smdl2tmp1.asec

4. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will going to shrom settings> applcation pref> install internal make this work better. Also I did not find that file with root explorer, is it only accessable with adb?

Squadala we are off!

5. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    If its not there, then you are not effected by it.

Yes, setting to internal helps. Also turning off Apps2SD helps.

6. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I suppose I will have to turn off the a2sd untill they figure this problem out. Oh by the way what does the sd-ext partition do? There is nothing inside it and it shows it in Clockwork, it appeared after I formated the sd card.

Squadala we are off!

7. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no problem, its working exactly how it was intended. You need to research how Google designed Apps2SD for Froyo to learn more.
    sd-ext is the oldschool partition used for Eclair's Apps2SD program. It is unused in Froyo, and you do NOT have to partition the SDCard this way to use Froyo's built in Apps2SD.

However, Chris Soyars is working on Apps2EXT which will utilize the sd-ext partition again, and that one is designed to work like the oldschool Eclair Apps2SD. Talk to him to find out more. We do not support Apps2EXT.

Search tags for this page

path:/mnt/sdcard/mydownloads