Mark Does It.. Bill Does It... Perhaps You Should As Well!!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
comeypic-800x582.jpg

The importance of covering your webcam was highlighted earlier this year when an official photograph of Mark Zuckerberg revealed that the Facebook chief covers the webcam and microphone on his MacBook Pro.

Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates have made it a practice for some time.
Now, FBI director James Comey says everyone should put tape over their laptop webcam to prevent being spied on.

While the webcams on PCs and laptops allow us to Skype and make video calls, they are also easy to hack. Once a hacker gains access to your webcam they can use it to watch you and record videos.

The recorded information could then be used for blackmail, obtain confidential information or break the security used on other systems or online accounts.

Mr Comey said that all US government offices cover up their webcams and that citizens should also do the same.

Source ars

R

RETG

"Mr Comey said that all US government offices cover up their webcams and that citizens should also do the same."
Again, Mr Comey has trouble stating the truth. NOT ALL government offices cover up their webcams. Just discussed this with a friend I worked with before I retired from the US Government, and his office does NOT cover up all the webcams; nor has he been told to do so.
I will say that we both went to this agency from another Federal agency years ago, and the agency we both worked for DOES and has always covered the webcams. But the agency I actually retired from and he still works at, is a US GOVERNMENT AGENCY, and they do not require covering of webcams.
Just stating a fact....

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I suppose Mr Comey's practice of truth or making overstatements or under-statements doesn't change whether putting tape over your webcam should be a consideration.

Nothing much to see in front of my webcam but think I might do it anyway.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just disable it through "device manager", but I supposed covering it with tape is a better option....

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I just disable it through "device manager", but I supposed covering it with tape is a better option....
They can search the IRQ and turn it back on.

I've had tape over my camera's for years. I'll never get a smart TV for this reason as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Wouldn't full drive encryption make the hacks next to impossible? I have the option to encrypt my drive on my laptop, just haven't done it yet.

Also, at least on mine, when the camera is on, there is a white LED that comes on right next to the lens. So I would know if the camera has power.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Wouldn't full drive encryption make the hacks next to impossible? I have the option to encrypt my drive on my laptop, just haven't done it yet.

Also, at least on mine, when the camera is on, there is a white LED that comes on right next to the lens. So I would know if the camera has power.

Hard drive encryption has absolutely no effect on "hacks" or webcam/microphone activation. Also, it's easy for someone who already knows how to activate your camera to also disable the "on" light.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

I've had tape over my camera's for years. I'll never get a smart TV for this reason as well.

I actually did the same. I disabled mine on my work laptop. I **** you not, I just checked and it was re-enabled. I will be covering it from now on.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Smart TV's has its advantage.. Mine does not have a built in webcam...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Smart TV's has its advantage.. Mine does not have a built in webcam...
No but they can hack into the interface which gives them full control on your network.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
No but they can hack into the interface which gives them full control on your network.

My TV is plugged into my router which is firewalled.. What makes my TV more vulnerable than any other device on my network?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My TV is plugged into my router which is firewalled.. What makes my TV more vulnerable than any other device on my network?
A wifi enabled TV.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
A wifi enabled TV.

Yeah it has WIFI, but it is turned off..

Why not just hack my printer.. it's WIFI enabled..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I actually did the same. I disabled mine on my work laptop. I **** you not, I just checked and it was re-enabled. I will be covering it from now on.
Same here, been doing it for years on both my personal & work laptops. A small piece of sticky note is the best security.
eb963b7c0a01a896d20113b7df85b511.jpg

S5 tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yeah it has WIFI, but it is turned off..

Why not just hack my printer.. it's WIFI enabled..
Completely different devices and UIs. The smart TV can access the internet and open up a website a hacker created to be compromised. While a printer is a dumb device waiting for a print spool.