maps no longer sucks

wolf102

Reaction score
The new maps update from today is working great.no more reboots.thanks google.

gixxer340

Reaction score
Only time will tell if the increased battery drain has also been addressed. I will stay on the previous version until I hear that it has. On the last update I was seeing the maps use 30-40% of my battery usage. On the previous version it is using like 4%.

Jeff

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only time will tell if the increased battery drain has also been addressed. I will stay on the previous version until I hear that it has. On the last update I was seeing the maps use 30-40% of my battery usage. On the previous version it is using like 4%.

Jeff

I'll post back with results either way.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

acejavelin

Reaction score
Installed and working on new version, I can confirm no reboots... Will test Navigation this evening and report back if any issues.

On another note, when using 6.9.2 I noticed my phone got VERY warm well using Navigation, but when I used Waze for Navigation it didn't get warm at all... Very interested to see the comparison on this version.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Installed and working on new version, I can confirm no reboots... Will test Navigation this evening and report back if any issues.

On another note, when using 6.9.2 I noticed my phone got VERY warm well using Navigation, but when I used Waze for Navigation it didn't get warm at all... Very interested to see the comparison on this version.

Using Maps,I didn't notice the battery warming up but it did take a sudden dip while using. Perhaps the stand alone GPS did that.
I've always noticed Nav being a battery hog and warmer, even in my Incredible1.
It did stop using CPU once I exited, something it didn't do before the update.
I'm still going to finish my 30 day free trial of vznav before freezing it again but Maps, so far, seems to be fixed.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

acejavelin

Reaction score

Using Maps,I didn't notice the battery warming up but it did take a sudden dip while using. Perhaps the stand alone GPS did that.
I've always noticed Nav being a battery hog and warmer, even in my Incredible1.
It did stop using CPU once I exited, something it didn't do before the update.
I'm still going to finish my 30 day free trial of vznav before freezing it again but Maps, so far, seems to be fixed.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
When I was running 6.9.2, the phone would get hot after just a couple minutes of navigation and within 10 minutes was downright uncomfortable to hold, and would chow through battery like a dog eating bacon... Installed 6.11.1 today and used it on every delivery run I made tonight and it ran room temperature cool the whole time, and additional battery usage was negligible, going through about the same as screen on only for the same time frame. Voice recognition for addresses seems much better too, I usually have the XM radio turned up quite a bit and it got every address correct every time without having to turn down the radio once... My final conclusion? This update does not suck!

gixxer340

Reaction score
Nope, the battery drain still remains. I woke up this morning and took my phone off the charger (like I always do). By 8:30 it was down to 92% on my extended battery so I took a look at what was using the battery and low and behold maps 70%. So about 6 of the 8% used was by the maps. Yesterday after all day with the phone (using the old maps 6.9.1 I believe) it had only used 4% of the overall battery usage. Since I have the extended battery installed this is by no means a deal breaker for me but when I am using the standard battery it makjes a huge difference in how long the battery will last. Not to mention, the old map program seems to do everything I need it to. I guess I will just stick with that for now.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, the battery drain still remains. I woke up this morning and took my phone off the charger (like I always do). By 8:30 it was down to 92% on my extended battery so I took a look at what was using the battery and low and behold maps 70%. So about 6 of the 8% used was by the maps. Yesterday after all day with the phone (using the old maps 6.9.1 I believe) it had only used 4% of the overall battery usage. Since I have the extended battery installed this is by no means a deal breaker for me but when I am using the standard battery it makjes a huge difference in how long the battery will last. Not to mention, the old map program seems to do everything I need it to. I guess I will just stick with that for now.

I just checked mine. Maps has used .1% on mine. I wonder what the difference is? Again, when ICS first came to my phone the 6.9.1 was a battery hog on mine. I had to freeze it when I wasn't using it.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From my Beano

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark!
1003 posts!
You one busy dude!

If you think about it that's under 2 a day. It's just under 2 years since I joined.
Anyway Maps is still doing ok in mine, Swype got an update that makes it fit the phone correctly, more apps are getting bug fixes so my phone is getting better by the day.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Islander53

Reaction score
I just checked mine. Maps has used .1% on mine. I wonder what the difference is? Again, when ICS first came to my phone the 6.9.1 was a battery hog on mine. I had to freeze it when I wasn't using it.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From my Beano

Just checked mine anewaew map version using 8% during use and 2% during standby. I believe the difference in power consumption might be attributed with the layers setting. I had mine set for traffic.

Last edited: