Maps let me down again last night...

niraj

Reaction score
Whatever happened to using your eyes? Be happy your PHONE could direct you to the street that its on... After that, just look for the big well lit sign with its name on it.

Hmm, so now we should not expect the software to do what it's designed to do? :::scratching head:::

It's funny, when someone says a negative thing about ANYTHING having to do with a Droid (or Google), everyone makes excuses for them. This is a problem Google should fix. They have had a problem with their database for YEARS. I know this because I've been using Google maps for YEARS and have run into the same kinds of problems for YEARS. So why, exactly, should I cut them slack?

It's a NAVIGATION program which they claim NAVIGATES to various places (including an address). It's not designed to take me to the street so I can, "use my eyes," to find what I'm looking for. It's designed to take me DIRECTLY to the address I am looking for. If it doesn't do this, then it should be fixed.

Sorry to be blunt, but maybe you shouldn't rely solely on technology/software that isnt perfect? What do you expect from google, all the services they provide are free and are in some cases better than paid alternatives. You could have checked to see if maybe an address next door or across the street showed up?

micp1480

Reaction score
Well, what I find most confusing on my Droid in regards to navigation is how many programs that there are in locating an address, restaurant, or place of business. Why so many? And your answer is? What I am talking about? this is what I am talking about, there is, Car Home, Maps, and Voice Search. Can someone tell me when you would use one application over the other when conducting a search? This would benefit us all.

MICP 1480

niraj

Reaction score
Well, what I find most confusing on my Droid in regards to navigation is how many programs that there are in locating an address, restaurant, or place of business. Why so many? And your answer is? What I am talking about? this is what I am talking about, there is, Car Home, Maps, and Voice Search. Can someone tell me when you would use one application over the other when conducting a search? This would benefit us all.

MICP 1480

This is how i understand it:

Car Home: This is just a nav like interface that launches when you plug the droid into the car dock. This GUI basically gives you the look and feel of a Garmin/Tom Tom stand alone nav unit.

Maps: This is the core app that car home will interface with to grab driving directions. If you are not plugging into the car dock, you would just launch this app to get your directions.

Voice Search: Makes it easier to search for things on the internet/phone. Use this program as an alternate method to plug an address into your phone instead of typing it.

These apps do all integrate one way or another, but if you aren't using the droid dock, you don't need to launch car home. This co-mingling of apps is what makes the android platform so awesome. If you are developing an app you can have your app interface with another already written program, so you dont have to re-invent the wheel so to speak. For example, when you use shop savvy you can have the option to get directions to a local store that has the product you are after. That link will interface with maps to get you to your destination. Shop savvy itself does not have the ability to provide turn by turn directions.

All these similar apps out there that accomplish the same thing are just different flavors of the same general concept. For example....camry vs the accord...same car segment, different take on how the car should be designed. You pick the design you like best.

Last edited:

PatG

Reaction score
I guess no app is perfect. Arrived in West Palm Beach tonight and looked for Hyatt Place. The app put me one block south and two streets away from the actual hotel. Unfortunately I could not see they Hyatt from the road (small building) and had to asked for directions.

It did have the address correct, but never put me on the right street.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess no app is perfect. Arrived in West Palm Beach tonight and looked for Hyatt Place. The app put me one block south and two streets away from the actual hotel. Unfortunately I could not see they Hyatt from the road (small building) and had to asked for directions.

Did you try to give your audible voice to find the Hyatt Place for you?

djstar2k2

Reaction score
idk seems to work find for me. sometimes it may take me the long way but hell as good as my onstar

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
UMMMMM HELLLO google naivgations is still BETA so bring your issues to them not here I can only say from experience google nav has been on the money for me in accuracy and for the traffice layers works awesome for my daily trips to NYC estimated travel times with traffic included are on the money...

Ummm HELLLLLOOO...have you been reading the whole thread? Beta is not an excuse. I have reported it to Google and am reporting it here. So, should nobody ever post about a problem here on this board?

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
"Well first of all, I've posted in the appropriate Google support area. Done that for many problems in the past. Guess how much of a response I've gotten from Google...ever?"

Where did you post it? I used the link on the map ('Report a problem' in the lower right corner of the map) and they got back to me within few days,

ero
Posted it in their help area under the appropriate area. Lots of other threads about just this sort of problem...with no response from Google. They do, in fact, respond to certain questions in those areas as I've posted about other issues with other products and gotten responses before.
Don't see inside Google's mind but it seems like it's better to report a map problem using 'Report a problem' in the map itself (since I got a response).

ero
I will have to go look for that and try that. Just sort of figured if they went through the trouble to set up a, "Help," section specifically for their products, they'd be reading those areas... :)

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Whatever happened to using your eyes? Be happy your PHONE could direct you to the street that its on... After that, just look for the big well lit sign with its name on it.

Hmm, so now we should not expect the software to do what it's designed to do? :::scratching head:::

It's funny, when someone says a negative thing about ANYTHING having to do with a Droid (or Google), everyone makes excuses for them. This is a problem Google should fix. They have had a problem with their database for YEARS. I know this because I've been using Google maps for YEARS and have run into the same kinds of problems for YEARS. So why, exactly, should I cut them slack?

It's a NAVIGATION program which they claim NAVIGATES to various places (including an address). It's not designed to take me to the street so I can, "use my eyes," to find what I'm looking for. It's designed to take me DIRECTLY to the address I am looking for. If it doesn't do this, then it should be fixed.

Sorry to be blunt, but maybe you shouldn't rely solely on technology/software that isnt perfect? What do you expect from google, all the services they provide are free and are in some cases better than paid alternatives. You could have checked to see if maybe an address next door or across the street showed up?

Sorry to be blunt back but OMG, can you be any more of a fanboy for Google? I mean, not like I'm attacking them as a company or this as a product. I'm just stating a fact--which has been backed up by NUMEROUS other people--about their database. So we should all just say, "Well, I found a problem but I'll just deal with it and not let anyone know so they can't fix it?"

Seems like everyone wants to deny this is a problem which should be fixed. I never said it happens ALL of the time. I never said the program SUCKS. I've actually said--more than once--this is a great program, however, it could be greater if they'd fix the problem(s) others have found. Will they fix it? I hope so (and I'd guess they'll work everything out), but they can't fix something if they don't know about a problem can they?

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score

Surely you're not saying there's a bug in Maps? I mean, you have to be careful about saying these kinds of things around here. They'll surely tell you why you should get rid of your phone and why Google shouldn't worry about fixing a (known) problem... ;)

OP
G

GadgetRick

Reaction score

Did you try to give your audible voice to find the Hyatt Place for you?

This is the 2nd time someone has mentioned this. Serious question (not sarcastic here) but why would putting in the address directly, from a web page or via voice going to be any different? If it truly is different, then this is a much bigger problem than I thought. Shouldn't be any different.

niraj

Reaction score

Sorry to be blunt back but OMG, can you be any more of a fanboy for Google? I mean, not like I'm attacking them as a company or this as a product. I'm just stating a fact--which has been backed up by NUMEROUS other people--about their database. So we should all just say, "Well, I found a problem but I'll just deal with it and not let anyone know so they can't fix it?"

Seems like everyone wants to deny this is a problem which should be fixed. I never said it happens ALL of the time. I never said the program SUCKS. I've actually said--more than once--this is a great program, however, it could be greater if they'd fix the problem(s) others have found. Will they fix it? I hope so (and I'd guess they'll work everything out), but they can't fix something if they don't know about a problem can they?

Good luck....I for one am not going to hold my breath waiting.

Whats with people calling others fanboys? Have we somehow been transported back to elementary school? I understand that you are a little ticked off about this, but you have to deal with it. Google will fix this when they fix it. Get angry with google, not people on the forum.

Last edited:

silverjk2007

Reaction score
We are on vacation from Indiana to Florida. I used my Garmin and Droid to see which would work better. They took the same route the entire trip, even took the same short cut in Florida. I never lost a signal either. More bars in more places, that is todays Verizon!!

cuskit

Reaction score
"What do you expect from google, all the services they provide are free and are in some cases better than paid alternatives"
Not quite true. Nothing is free these days. Why do you think your phone and the service cost so much? Those "freebies" have have their costs built into either the phone or the plan..

You would be correct in saying you do not have to pay to buy the app separately.

I for one love the map app, but have found on many occasions that it does have inaccuracies. My wife and I arrived at our mapped location yesterday, pulled into the parking lot, and sat for a few minutes while our "friendly female navigator" continued on in an attempt to have us back out of the lot, and proceed two blocks away to the correct address. Despite us being exactly where we wished to go. :)

I can live with this. Buying the Droid saved me buying the $249.00 Garmin I was all poised to purchase just before taking possession of my Droid! I haven't looked back since! :)

cuskit

niraj

Reaction score
"What do you expect from google, all the services they provide are free and are in some cases better than paid alternatives"
Not quite true. Nothing is free these days. Why do you think your phone and the service cost so much? Those "freebies" have have their costs built into either the phone or the plan..

You would be correct in saying you do not have to pay to buy the app separately.

I for one love the map app, but have found on many occasions that it does have inaccuracies. My wife and I arrived at our mapped location yesterday, pulled into the parking lot, and sat for a few minutes while our "friendly female navigator" continued on in an attempt to have us back out of the lot, and proceed two blocks away to the correct address. Despite us being exactly where we wished to go. :)

I can live with this. Buying the Droid saved me buying the $249.00 Garmin I was all poised to purchase just before taking possession of my Droid! I haven't looked back since! :)

cuskit

That's an entirely different discussion my friend....i'll leave it at that.