1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Maps/GPS issue on Froyo

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tonyr0802, Jul 2, 2010.

1. tonyr0802

tonyr0802 New Member

I've seen posts around about a Maps issue on Froyo, but I cannot seem to locate a fix. I've searched, no luck though. My specific issue is in regards to Setting Profiles app, it doesn't seem to detect my location any longer. I'm wondering if it is related to the Maps issue on Froyo. I'm running Kangerade v4.0.7 but I've also experienced the same issue on BB.
  2. gavron

gavron New Member

Did you wipe all partitions prior to installing? The recent Froyo-based ROM releases have addressed this issue...

The other thing to try (the 2.1 solution) is... settings->applications->maps (or com.google.something.maps...) and select "uninstall"... then go reinstall from the market. (it's free).

E
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Is it a Maps issue or a GPS issue? There is a difference. Use GPS Status or a similar app to determine.
  4. tonyr0802

tonyr0802 New Member

I wipedcache three times, factory reset three times. What's weird, maps can find my location but certain apps can't seem to. Setting profiles and the news and weather widget can't.
  5. tonyr0802

tonyr0802 New Member

Not sure if this was the problem or not, but i've got things working now. What I did was to factory reset/wipe cache 3x and then I installed the "clean frf84" rom. In previous rom installs I had been unchecking the "...google location service..." message when you begin activation, and every time I would have GPS issues. This time I left it checked and have had zero issues so far, all apps the previously wouldn't work are now working.
  6. sogon78

sogon78 New Member

I have the same Issue.

Seems like froyo is having problem detecting my location using wireless network.
    -> therefore my weather service and other apps using location are getting screwed.

If I turn on the GPS it has no prble.
  7. cfdelaune

cfdelaune New Member

I have the same issue with my Verizon Moto Droid after manually upgrading to Froyo (2.2) via what looks to be one of the many "official" ROMs. More specifically, I'm now running Build: FRG01B, Kernel: 2.6.32.9-g103d848 (android-build@apa26 #1).

So, basically, after I flashed the thing, everything worked except that the weather widget could not figure out my location and Google Maps (4.4) also had no idea where I was. After testing everything I have found online so far, here are the details of what I did to try to fix this and what I found out...

I did a complete factory reset via the Recovery console (hold X while powering up, etc...). I also blew away the cache partition. Then, reloaded Froyo from the leaked ROM I downloaded.

What I found was that when I booted in, the location stuff all worked fine (just using GPS, not WiFi). Everything seemed peachy. Then, as soon as I launched Google Maps, it could not figure out my location anymore. I tried this with the Google Maps version that was included with the ROM and after downloading v4.4, no luck.

So, I have to think that Google maps is changing a setting somewhere that is turning off or changing how it thinks it is supposed to figure out my location. I have searched high and low and cannot figure out anything.

Basically, where I am now is that my weather widget cannot find my location, Google Maps cannot find my location (or even my closest cell tower to give me a range of where I am), Google.com says my location is "unavailable" and even the RF Signal Tracker app shows no information related to GPS. But, like I said, I know it is something OS/Software related, because the GPS works after a factory reset and before running Google Maps for the first time.

I hope someone can figure this out because it's driving me NUTS!!! Thanks!
    Christian