Maps Forceclosing after Froyo update?

droible

Reaction score
Maps Forceclosing after Froyo update? (Update: Fixed!)

Anybody else getting this or know a fix?

I tried google maps right after the update and it was fine. But for some reason now (only an hour later) whenever I open it, it forcecloses after about 2 sec.

- I tried GPS status to see if it was GPS crashing, but that works fine.
- I tried turning GPS off and Maps still forcecloses
- I tried restarting the phone
- I tried uninstalling the app (renamed via root explorer) and reinstalling from the market

None of these things fixed it. Any hints?

Update: As posted below, this error is actually caused by the "welcome to maps" popup that you get any time you run Maps after clearing it's app data (old search results, settings, etc...).

So if you get this error, just try to press "OK" on the welcome popup really quick before it forcecloses, and Maps is back to normal, and will start up correctly after that.

WHEW

Last edited:

just4747

Reaction score
Same happens for my new battery manager statistics sometimes too. It works one time and force closes another. Also, on almost every bootup, LauncherPro FCs and then works fine after. And if that's not enough, my sync icon won't go away either lol.

OP
D

droible

Reaction score
I had the sync icon thing on the screen for a while but it eventually went away. It seemed to happen at the same time i turned on my wifi but that might have been a coincidence.

OP
D

droible

Reaction score
Huh... apparently the problem only occurs after you clear all the app data for Maps (via system settings->manage applications).

If you try running Maps after clearing the data, then it starts up with some "Hey here's what's new" popup, and it seems to be that popup that causes the forceclose. After a couple of tries I was able to hit "ok" on the popup before the forceclose message, and Maps loaded up just fine, and it has ever since. Reproduced this a few times by clearing the data again.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you go to settings>search settings>google>make sure my location is checked and try again see if maps FC.