Maps direction while stopped?

brochaos

Reaction score
has anyone noticed that with one of the new maps updates they changed they way in which they calculate the direction of the arrow?

before, when you were stopped, it showed you as a blue dot. not until it could calculate your change in direction did it change into an arrow.

now it seems like instead of doing the calculations, it just references the compass. it's nice, except when you use your phone in landscape. then, every time you come to a stop, it shows me perpendicular to the street i'm on.

not a big deal, just catches you off guard at first. anyone else notice this?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It was always a dot when motionless, a few updates ago, in labs, one could select to use compass position when stationary, because some people cannot figure out which way they are looking when stopped :icon_eek:

With latest update, now the thing is always an arrow, and flashes as well, for those with bad eyesight.

Interesting thing though, is that I've seen reports how they must not have thought that through, because if it is in a car dock, you have a magnet right by it, and people are seeing strange behaviour from the arrow while stopped in cars.

Personally I'd like both blinking and compass arrow while stopped to be returned to labs, or settings options for one to turn off.

OP
brochaos

brochaos

Reaction score
damn so it used to be an option, and now it's forced? that seems like an odd change to make. they at least need to have an option for people who use the phone landscape, and so the phone isn't point the same direction as the car.

also, i never noticed it started blinking until you said that lol.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
It was always a dot when motionless, a few updates ago, in labs, one could select to use compass position when stationary, because some people cannot figure out which way they are looking when stopped :icon_eek:

With latest update, now the thing is always an arrow, and flashes as well, for those with bad eyesight.

Interesting thing though, is that I've seen reports how they must not have thought that through, because if it is in a car dock, you have a magnet right by it, and people are seeing strange behaviour from the arrow while stopped in cars.

Personally I'd like both blinking and compass arrow while stopped to be returned to labs, or settings options for one to turn off.

lol great, for those with bad eyesight, they will be able to see the dot on top of 4 other cars after they crash ..

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Never thought of that. I'm glad my car mounts don't have the magnets. Though, really, the arrow doesn't really matter to me. It's amusing but not a make-or-break feature IMO.

damn so it used to be an option, and now it's forced? that seems like an odd change to make.
Not really. Labs exists to allow people that choose to test out new features before they're released.

they at least need to have an option for people who use the phone landscape, and so the phone isn't point the same direction as the car.
Why would that matter? North is north. Portrait or landscape is irrelevant.

You'd have to face the back (or sides) of your car with the Droid in front of you for it to be "pointed" in a different direction than the car.

Last edited:

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Why would that matter? North is north. Portrait or landscape is irrelevant.

You'd have to face the back (or sides) of your car with the Droid in front of you for it to be "pointed" in a different direction than the car.

Nope not true. I was using the navigator today and it was pointing away from the direction i was going. I had to get back to the street (i was in a parking lot) and it started up working again.