1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Maps and Navigation Gone?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by themuttt, Jul 11, 2013.

1. themuttt

themuttt New Member

a freind of mine texted me yesterday and said that her RAZR no longer has the Maps or Navigation app, to get home she had to download VZW Navigator app. All tech support would tell her was to factory reset. I'm guessing this had to do with the latest Maps update, so should she uninstall the update to see if it pops back, or is there a way to hunt for the apps?

BTW: I did try to search and found nothing :p
  2. 2razrmaxx

2razrmaxx New Member

Mine disappeared as well. However, I still have a short cut to maps but no shortcut for navigation.

When I open maps I can input my destination: to navigate to it but there is no shortcut. It now takes several steps
  3. YellowJacket

YellowJacket Active Member

Hmmmm... Still on mine.

Is she on Jelly Bean? Rooted with a custom ROM?

EDIT/UPDATE: Ahhhh... now I see what you are talking about. Apparently you got the update before I did. Got pushed the update the other day and now my "Blue Arrow" is gone too. However, as others have suggested, all you have to do is access navigation from within google maps now. IMHO, it does cut out some extra steps.

David
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  4. themuttt

themuttt New Member

stock, no rooting, no custom roms, nothing like that
  5. 2razrmaxx

2razrmaxx New Member

If you still have the arrow you don't have the latest version. Its gone on the new version per Google data. Functionality is still there just moved around a bit.

There are some changes....none that affect me too much so I can deal with it...ha :)
  6. themuttt

themuttt New Member

what version of Maps are you on?
  7. 2razrmaxx

2razrmaxx New Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  8. themuttt

themuttt New Member

neither my S4 nor my old Bionic has updated so I have not been able to play with this. I will forward this, thanks
  9. Razrhead

Razrhead New Member

When I updated to the new version of Maps the icons vanished from the home screen and all apps. I had to go to google play and start maps from there. The maps icon then reappeared in my apps. The new version of maps losses the navigation icon that used to exist separately. I like the old version of maps so I uninstalled maps and rolled back to the original factory version. I like Navigation with access to my contacts and voice search where I need them. The new version of Maps requires more hunting through menus to get anything done.
  10. cris

cris Member

I too also updated then tried to find my maps, couldn't find it. After some searching found out that the newest update dissent have that in there. And a work around is to open maps in your browser. Screw that. I went back to the stock app.
  11. 2razrmaxx

2razrmaxx New Member

My maps icon is still there... The blue arrow is gone but no biggie
  12. Razrhead

Razrhead New Member

It's no biggie until you try using the new maps app. When they make things more complicated and take away features it's a little hard to understand someone's idea of improvement. Update for the sake of update. Microsoft does this to make you buy the newer version of office or windows. I don't know why google would inflict this update on us unless they are working toward a paid app.
  13. gloydian

gloydian New Member

I would appreciate you telling me how to 'roll back to the original factory version.' I hate the new 'improved' version, as it requires a lot more work to enter an address. The old version was quick, clean and convenient. Thanks
  14. Razrhead

Razrhead New Member

To roll back the Maps app go to manage apps on your phone and find the Maps app. On some phones you have to go to phone settings to manage apps. On other phones there is an apps manager option at the bottom of the home screen. You may have to check uninstall or check uninstall updates. The original factory version of Maps will be installed. The Maps and Navigation apps will return. For the time being you need to avoid google maps update.
  15. tnronin

tnronin New Member

I had to go to the play store and tell it NOT to update maps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  16. 2razrmaxx

2razrmaxx New Member

I have not had any problems using the app...its moved around a bit but again...no biggie
  17. Razrhead

Razrhead New Member

Down the road I guess we may not have a choice but to accept the new version. To me the new version is not driver friendly. As you say, things have been moved around a bit. I still wonder about the logic behind the redesign.
  18. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

I tried to use the new Maps this past Monday morning, and this is when I noticed it had changed. Really, what the &%##, Google? This is NOT driver friendly. I have no idea how to find "Home" on this new layout and by default, my destination is Beijing, China, which is pretty interesting, considering I live in Southern California. It's a bit hard to drive over the ocean, ya think? Not too many of us own our own private ferry.

On a similar note, I use Car Home Ultra. I looked at it and noticed I still have the blue arrow as one of my icons. It links me to Maps.

In fact, nothing is driver friendly anymore, and you practically have to use a Stylus to tap everything on screen since the ICS update. I'm at least lucky I have an old APK file for Pandora that has Gingerbread Style buttons.

I think I'll be using Waze until Google gets its act together and puts Navigation back.

I'm not impressed with Google, lately. It started with the new Google Play store look. Supposedly, it's more finger friendly, but I can't see app detail as well, nor can I set a filter to view only reviews with the same phone I have.
  19. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

I uninstalled the Maps app update and it works great in the dock again. Yes, my Maps app is now the older version....but my phone works in my car dock and that's more important to me.
  20. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

I love the new Google Maps update. Navigation is built into the app now. No need to open a separate app for navigation. Not sure why everyone here is so upset.
Search tags for this page
android google navigation gone
android navigation disappeared 2013

droid bionic navigation missing

google maps navigation disappeared
google maps navigation icon missing

google navigation disappeared

google navigation gone

google navigation icon missing
google navigation missing
google navigation shortcut missing
my navigation app disappeared