Mapping, old school

harv2000

Reaction score
To make a long story short, Google Maps just left me hanging in Las Vegas as I was rushing to drop off a rental car ... no, I don't think the rental car drop off is an apartment complex NORTH of the airport. I resolved my issue old school style with a paper map and road signs.

Having said that, and having read many mixed reviews of Google Maps, I dug around a little bit and downloaded Copilot, which appears to have dropped $10 in price to $19. Having done that, I am impressed with Copilot and have begun working with it. One quick impression is that it BURNS the battery rapidly unless plugged in. No huge surprise there, but I'm curious about what other users are doing for mapping. I do run a separate Garmin Nuvi most of the time, but it wasn't available in this case, and frankly, I've been toying with replacing it with the phone. Given the experience with Google Maps, I can't begin to trust Google maps to be the replacement.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up on the price of the copilot. I just bought it. Like you, I am thinking of getting rid of my Garmin 750.

Thanks.

OP
H

harv2000

Reaction score
A little embarrassing

After pointing out the drop in price for Copilot North America, I discovered that Copilot puts out an app (Copilot USA) that they are charging $4.99 for. It appears to have the same features, but limited to only the continental USA, as opposed to all of North America.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
One quick impression is that it BURNS the battery rapidly unless plugged in.
It's not CoPilot. It's your GPS receiver.

No huge surprise there, but I'm curious about what other users are doing for mapping.
I use Google Maps Nav and I've done so for over 3,000 miles. I did run into some issues with Verizon's lack of data coverage in part of Kentucky but it really wasn't a big deal IMO.

Given the experience with Google Maps, I can't begin to trust Google maps to be the replacement.
You gotta go with what works for you. Just be aware that if you're using locally stored maps that you need to keep them up to date.

Last edited: