Manufacturing Issues

JCraigTD

Reaction score
Hi friends. New to the forums. I already went through the color-uniformity threads. Even though my thread is related to that what I want to talk about isn’t the same.

Unfortunately as bunch of Galaxy S7 users have I’m also having the color-uniformity issue. This is my 2nd device after replacement actually. 1st had much worse screen. I compared mine with my father’s and my couple of friend’s S7 of same model. I understood that my mind wasn’t making up the issue but one of my friend have the same issue but in different parts of the display.

The interesting fact that I found out was that his and mine(1st & 2nd devices) is manufactured at March 2016 while my father’s and other friend’s was at February 2016 based on the Samsung’s device serial number. So I guess only the units manufactured sometime in March(or later) are having this issue. Even if I do one more replacement which is possible through Samsung service center only as of now I won’t mostly likely get a unit manufactured at February or April and also there is no way to check the serial number without opening the box I guess.

It would be helpful if anyone knows whether there is a way to check the serial number without opening the box OR ask the personnel at service center to get me one manufactured at February or April. Will they have serial number information in their system?

Thanks for your reply.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I can almost guarantee they won't hand-select a particular date of manufacture for you. There is probably a way from software to identify the date of manufacture but I'm not aware of it. It could be encoded into the IMEI, or could be hard-coded into the root system. The question is whether they will help you by using it and my belief is they won't. To do so would be to validate your claim and admit to there being a particular flaw in certain runs of production. This would virtually guarantee a government mandated recall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
J

JCraigTD

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee they won't hand-select a particular date of manufacture for you. There is probably a way from software to identify the date of manufacture but I'm not aware of it. It could be encoded into the IMEI, or could be hard-coded into the root system. The question is whether will they help using it and my belief is they won't. To do so would be to validate your claim and admit to there being a particular flaw in certain runs off production. This would virtually guarantee a government mandated recall.

Thanks for the reply. Already current replacement took more than a week to arrive. Then most likely the one which is manufactured recently or past month will take a lot of time, could take more than one month even. So I guess I've to live with it. BTW I did analysis on IMEI also. Manufacturing dates aren't associated with that. Only Samsung's serial number, which in some country is labelled outside the box along with a sticker on the phone but in my place only on the phone for which I have to open the box. Will the service center(the wholesaler) have a record of manufacturing dates of the units in their database? So they can get me a unit from different batch? Anyway they are obliged to give a replacement if there is an issue.

jplemt

Reaction score
Samsung phone info app in the Play Store will give a date of manufacturer, or even knows what color your phone is. It has a picture of an Android as the app icon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jplemt

Reaction score
2078b07f000a61c68279c98df93247ad.jpg

OP
J

JCraigTD

Reaction score
Samsung phone info app in the Play Store will give a date of manufacturer, or even knows what color your phone is. It has a picture of an Android as the app icon.

That's what I used to find out the date. It's impossible to find the date of a unit in an unopened box if I'm going for a replacement again since the serial number is only inside the box. That's the main issue here.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, so mine is April 11.
96418d523ef81778738b92854c1ce054.jpg

Phone INFO ★Samsung★ - Android Apps on Google Play
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When was the screen made? Not the phone assembled but the screen itself. When were the parts for the screen made? Only Samsung can answer those questions and they'll never go public with them. If you remember the iPad 2 screen fiasco, Apple released the fact that a bad batch of screens got through and that LG made them to help Samsung keep up with demand but not which batch, when they were made and whether or not iPad 2 owners had LG or Samsung manufactured screens. Samsung will never release even that much information.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
J

JCraigTD

Reaction score
When was the screen made? Not the phone assembled but the screen itself. When were the parts for the screen made? Only Samsung can answer those questions and they'll never go public with them. If you remember the iPad 2 screen fiasco, Apple released the fact that a bad batch of screens got through and that LG made them to help Samsung keep up with demand but not which batch, when they were made and whether or not iPad 2 owners had LG or Samsung manufactured screens. Samsung will never release even that much information.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I totally agree with you. But they are actually bound to solve the issue somehow and the one solution being replacement from an another batch.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. But they are actually bound to solve the issue somehow and the one solution being replacement from an another batch.
That's exactly what Apple did but when Samsung was faced with a similar issue before they never admitted there was a problem, thus never gave carriers and retailers help but stuck to what FoxKat described above so they (the carriers and retailers) in turn had to resort to cta (cover your butt) mode about the whole thing. They'll keep replacing units but those with Assurion, Square Trade, etc may very well end up with those bad units instead of, like Apple did, pulling them from the shelves wherever those shelves may be.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
J

JCraigTD

Reaction score
That's exactly what Apple did but when Samsung was faced with a similar issue before they never admitted there was a problem, thus never gave carriers and retailers help but stuck to what FoxKat described above so they (the carriers and retailers) in turn had to resort to cta (cover your butt) mode about the whole thing. They'll keep replacing units but those with Assurion, Square Trade, etc may very well end up with those bad units instead of, like Apple did, pulling them from the shelves wherever those shelves may be.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I strongly doubt whether Samsung will do that. I don't how to talk to them regarding my request to get me one from another batch. Any help would be appreciated.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's Samsung. It's just how they operate and by the time any class action lawsuit or anything came to fruition most would have moved on to their next The next big thing device. They count on it. Apple was more concerned about imagine than revenue when theirs happened.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's Samsung. It's just how they operate and by the time any class action lawsuit or anything came to fruition most would have moved on to their next The next big thing device. They count on it. Apple was more concerned about imagine than revenue when theirs happened.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
Agreed.