1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Manually setting "clean" Google apps state?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by CodeX, Nov 20, 2010.

1. CodeX

CodeX New Member

Anyone know what makes that initial Google setup/initialization stuff display after a factory reset? You know, the "touch droid to continue" and the other stuff. I assume it's something in /data but what exactly?

I'm giving a rooted phone as a gift and I want to do some pre-configuration beforehand. After I'm done I want to clear that initialization information so that when they start the phone for the first time it will go through the whole initialization/setup again. Obviously doing an actual factory reset would undo any changes I had made so I can't go that route.

BTW, I'm new to the forum and Android but I'm an experienced developer and Linux user for nearly 20 years. Really liking this Android stuff. :)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

First :welcome: to the Forum

I understand exactly what you are asking and to understand and help more, exactly what kind of changes are you trying to make - because a Factory Reset will not necessarily clear everything...if you flash a ROM and factory reset the ROM will still be intact
  3. CodeX

CodeX New Member

Thanks.

Really the only thing I absolutely would like to pre-configure is installing SetCPU and its settings. I tried putting it in /system/app put it will not run from there, it seems to close itself (protection to prevent from distributing in ROM's?).

Other than that it's mostly just tweaks to various app settings, desktop layout, etc. I realize there are ways to set this up by making changes in /system and I know how to do most of it but I don't want to get all crazy with it. I mean it's just a one time thing. I figured by far the easiest would be to just wipe whatever Google Apps is looking for that makes it run that initial setup and leave everything else.
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

This might not be possible - of course with SetCPU being a Paid Application we wouldn't condone redistributing it - IMO the best way to learn is to figure it yourself, you can always flash a Stable ROM and then factory reset and let them start from scratch the ROM will stay intact but the "Touch the Android" screen will prompt - you can also direct them to the Forum as we like to help old and new members alike :wink:
  5. CodeX

CodeX New Member

Hmm, I think it's called the Setup Wizard so that gets me something to start looking at. It must be possible, otherwise it wouldn't run when you wipe only the user data. There is something that tells it to run that wizard.

Really I was hoping somebody already knew since it seems like a pretty simple thing and there is no point spending hours digging around in there reinventing the wheel (if you know what I mean). Could be that it's not interesting or desirable enough for anyone to have ever looked into it so maybe nobody knows. Maybe I can try one of the Android developer lists as this is might be a little more low level than the typical ROM's/Mod's and such.

Thanks for the help though.
  6. CodeX

CodeX New Member

I figured it out.

The file to edit is:
    Code:
    /data/system/packages.xml
    Find the following 3 lines and delete them:
    Code:
    <disabled-components>
    <item name=”com.android.setupwizard.SetupWizardActivity” />
    </disabled-components>
    Save and reboot... Voilà, the wizard starts again.

Ugh, I spent way too much time on this.
  7. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

yeah welcome to this forum!
  8. diverbelow

diverbelow New Member

SetCPU is free from the developers website. All you have to do is to become a member over there.
  9. CodeX

CodeX New Member

Yeah, I knew that (in fact that's how I got it) but thought it might be some sort of unsaid thing that you don't talk about. Most "official" type people always indicate that it's a paid-for app so I never mention the alternative.
  10. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

It is free on their website - but not free to redistribute, so we take the standpoint that we do on all paid apps, because it is paid in the Market :)
Search tags for this page
android how run onetime initializer again
android one time init
android restart setup wizard
android run setup wizard again
com.android.setupwizard
eliminating google apps
google apps clear data android

google one time init

google one time init android

restart android setup wizard
run android set up again