Manual root?

nomad3d

Reaction score
Is there instructions anywhere on how to manually root the droid razr with ICS? Not one of the automated scripts work for me and it seems to be an issue with adb that I can't resolve.

Thanks

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums!!

Moved your thread over to the Razr Hacks section. That way the Razr pros can give you some advice.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome aboard :)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No problem!! And sorry I don't have any Razr knowledge to share. I am sure someone will be along who does.

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_NEXUS 7

OP
nomad3d

nomad3d

Reaction score
I keep getting the error from adb "error: device not found" ... I've tried manually putting the files on the device and using a terminal emulator, of course I can't move the files to where they need to be because I don't have permission... :p

I remember using a terminal emulator to root my first Droid X... I dunno... been trying this for weeks to no avail.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Does your PC recognize the phone?

OP
nomad3d

nomad3d

Reaction score
Does your PC recognize the phone?

Yeah, it sees the phone. if it's in mass storage, I can transfer files back and forth manually or using the MDM. But... When I put it in MTP mode, MotoCast USB pops an error and says it can't connect the phone is still listed, and I can still access it as if it's in Mass Storage mode...

I've tried it on my PC with Windows 7 64 bit, on my laptop with Windows 7 64 bit, and on an old dell with Windows XP, which I just wiped and put Ubuntu on it and am going to try to do it with that! LoL!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah that's strange, I definitely do not have any experience with that. Keep me posted on your latest operation.

OP
nomad3d

nomad3d

Reaction score
Welp, tried under Linux too... adb keeps hanging on "waiting on device", which is the problem I have with it on windows too. adb doesn't find the device. Ever. :(

Read a post somewhere about a guy that was having the same problem. Said he took his phone back and got a new on and it fixed the issue. But I'm not sure what I'd tell them at Verizon... "hey, I can't root my damn phone. Gimme a new one!" LoL

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
OK, this is a random thought and please don't be insulted, I am the kind of person who would forget this so I am asking. Do you have USB debugging enabled? It probably does need to be on for you to do all this.

OP
nomad3d

nomad3d

Reaction score
OK, this is a random thought and please don't be insulted, I am the kind of person who would forget this so I am asking. Do you have USB debugging enabled? It probably does need to be on for you to do all this.

Yep. USB Debugging, MTP mode.

This is why I'm hoping that there's a manual way to root the phone without using adb.

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I assumed you had it set right, just one of those things I thought I would throw out there.