Manual Install Required? How?

chasabi

Reaction score
Hi All

The Question
How do I manually update software?

The Details
I have recently rooted my HTC Desire and installed the Shadowsense Froyo 2.2 ROM. All is good except for a when certain apps try to update the installation fails. When I click on the notification it directs me to the marketplace page for the particular app and at the top is a tick box that states "Allow automatic updating". It is ticked but underneath it says "A manual update is required". There is no further details on hwo a manual update is acheived.

What is effected
So far I have only noticed this with Google Maps and the Gmail app.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lee

PARick

Reaction score
Hi All

The Question
How do I manually update software?

The Details
I have recently rooted my HTC Desire and installed the Shadowsense Froyo 2.2 ROM. All is good except for a when certain apps try to update the installation fails. When I click on the notification it directs me to the marketplace page for the particular app and at the top is a tick box that states "Allow automatic updating". It is ticked but underneath it says "A manual update is required". There is no further details on hwo a manual update is acheived.

What is effected
So far I have only noticed this with Google Maps and the Gmail app.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Lee

Go to the downloads section of the Market. You will see your app there with "Manual Update required" in red. Press on the app, then press on install and you should be good to go. It just means, for some reason, automatic updating is not supported.

OP
C

chasabi

Reaction score
Hi Parick

I have tried doing that but this (attached) is what I get. It is the same with Gmail. Also attached is what I mentioned before about requiring a manual install.

Last edited:

PARick

Reaction score
Hi Parick

I have tried doing that but this (attached) is what I get. It is the same with Gmail. Also attached is what I mentioned before about requiring a manual install.

When you touch the unsuccessful message in the notification bar, what does it say?

harrellj

Reaction score
Since those are Google apps, you'll have to remove the apks from /system/apps before you can install the updated version (and thankfully, only this once). You can also just rename the file instead of deleting it if it concerns you.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ns/82442-problem-installing-gmail-update.html has directions on how to do so via terminal emulator (at least for gmail). It should be similar for maps too. You can do so manually via root explorer too, if you have it but just have to make sure you mount r/w beforehand. Regardless of which method you choose, reboot the phone before attempting to install.