Man.. wish i woulda rooted.

wil318466

Reaction score
It's a pretty easy thing to settle.

1) how many people have you heard say "Man, I wish I never rooted"
2) how many people have not been able to revert to non-root?

You guys are being way too theoretical about this. Like I said, I would agree that if it was a work-issued device, don't touch it. I completely agree to that. As far as anything else goes, I'd say go for it. It's relatively easy for most to do, AND it's reversible. I guess there are just people who will never agree.

mitchb2

Reaction score
no excuse whatsoever... I kinda feel stupid but, I always thought I would.

Why? So you could be one of those idiots posting "My Droid is stuck in an endless boot loop."

Screw that. It's okay if your Droid is a toy like a DS. But when your only phone is bricked...2.1 is just fine.

wil318466

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not telling him to join the thread, but for him to butt in and tell someone to not talk about something is utterly ridiculous. By no means am I saying he shouldn't join in. It's not a private convo at all.

I dont recall telling anyone not to talk. I asked why the discussion was still being debated, despite well stated, conversation ending arguments. Rooting or not rooting is a personal choice, there is no right answer, though you seem to think there is....

You, however, told me to butt out. Which would be exactly what you're excoriating me for doing....

no excuse whatsoever... I kinda feel stupid but, I always thought I would.

Why? So you could be one of those idiots posting "My Droid is stuck in an endless boot loop."

Screw that. It's okay if your Droid is a toy like a DS. But when your only phone is bricked...2.1 is just fine.

And how many people have bricked?

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Wil... why do you need to be right on this or have everyone affirm your way of thinking? I am not understanding why you keep the argument going. You feel that rooting is no big deal and that the risks are not that big of an issue either. I get that. But when someone expresses that there is risks or that the risks are a big deal or that rooting is a big deal to them you go on the defensive. I'm rooted and for me it was a good thing. My husband is rooted but is wanting to go back to stock because he is overwhelmed with the upkeep needed on a rooted phone. So is he right or me????????? The answer is neither. Again, rooting is a personal choice based on ones risk taking. If you are a risk taker, then rooting will not be a big deal but if you are conservative, then rooting is going to give you nightmares based on the risks. There is no right or wrong position in this discussion and no one should be made to feel as though there is.

OP
S

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
I see now that if you want to have a thread with a lot of hits put something about rooting in your subject bar LMAO!! no but seriously I love great debates... and this certainly was one... I'm going to study rooting mre and i may set aside my saturday for rooting...

jhigh

Reaction score
I just rooted my phone this morning, and I'm SO glad I did. My phone is my entire life, both professionally and personally, and I see little downside to rooting. It took me about a half-hour, and that's because I was overly cautious about following the directions that I had. I'm running the Simply Stunning ROM, and looking at others. The level of access that I now have over my phone makes it well worth it.

That being said, I won't be critical of anyone that doesn't want to root. My wife refuses to let me root her phone because it already does everything that she wants. I get that argument, but I want more out of my phone than she does so it made sense for me.

Just my experience...

Mule65

Reaction score
I just rooted my phone this morning, and I'm SO glad I did. My phone is my entire life, both professionally and personally, and I see little downside to rooting. It took me about a half-hour, and that's because I was overly cautious about following the directions that I had. I'm running the Simply Stunning ROM, and looking at others. The level of access that I now have over my phone makes it well worth it.

That being said, I won't be critical of anyone that doesn't want to root. My wife refuses to let me root her phone because it already does everything that she wants. I get that argument, but I want more out of my phone than she does so it made sense for me.

Just my experience...

What exactly is making you "SO glad" being rooted for a few hours?

wil318466

Reaction score
Wil... why do you need to be right on this or have everyone affirm your way of thinking? I am not understanding why you keep the argument going. You feel that rooting is no big deal and that the risks are not that big of an issue either. I get that. But when someone expresses that there is risks or that the risks are a big deal or that rooting is a big deal to them you go on the defensive. I'm rooted and for me it was a good thing. My husband is rooted but is wanting to go back to stock because he is overwhelmed with the upkeep needed on a rooted phone. So is he right or me????????? The answer is neither. Again, rooting is a personal choice based on ones risk taking. If you are a risk taker, then rooting will not be a big deal but if you are conservative, then rooting is going to give you nightmares based on the risks. There is no right or wrong position in this discussion and no one should be made to feel as though there is.

I feel this way because I believe there are many people who WANT to root, but read replies that have misconceived worries about whether it is dangerous or not.

For example, you just said your husband is overwhelmed with the upkeep of the rooted phone. I disagree, I see very little upkeep once the phone is rooted. Once you have your phone setup the way you wish, there really isnt' much more to do unless you want to change ROMs.

People get nervous when they mess around with things they don't understand. Instead of reassuring them it really isn't that difficult, some people encourage them NOT to root.

It's reversible. It's relatively easy to do if you folow instructions. I know of only 1 person who may have truly bricked their phone, and that is because they did a /wipe all command in a system folder (most people wouldn't even know they could do this). It improves the performance of your phone. It lets you customize your phone. It gives you access to apps that you could not have access to. There is almost no downside to it.

If it was a decision that you could not take back, I would agree 100% with you and others. Voiding a warranty and losing out financially or whatever scenario you can think of would be very disheartening to people. But I don't even think that is a valid argument, since root can be disabled and you can go back to stock.

I just don't think it's right that people spread misinformation. There is no downside, only upside. Try it, don't like it? Go back. It's like arguing against taking a free piece of candy.