Making SBF file ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tujj99, Apr 22, 2010.

1. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2

I'm definitely impressed!

I am pretty sure that in the 3rd link of my signature is a link to a file Pete passed along (he did not make it) that is a rooted stock ese81 file.

And you are correct, the context of my phrase was that I thought moto released an sprecovery sbf file. I did not mean to imply moto created the sprecovery file only that to me it looked like someone at moto took the existing sprecovery file and turned it into an sbf file that RSD Lite could use.

So the next question might be....if moto is not the only entity that can create sbf files can one be made to flash over the stock recovery app on the DX and D2?

I'm in complete agreement that the hacking community is vocal and brought in additional sales for motorola. I guess not enough to repeat the same process on their newer phones though.

It did not cross my mind that someone would hack an existing sbf file to make it do something different. That's why I thought it odd moto would release sprecovery via a moto created sbf file.

2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +223
    Are any of these rooted, or just stock with the custom recoveries?

3. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm pretty sure p3droid from mydroidworld knows the most about this stuff. i think he make the ese81 with sprecovery sbf. and i think he has an understanding (i think he may have released an actual rom in the sbf form)

if developers could figure out how, it would be helpful to romming motorola phones

4. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, great job Moto! If these end up working this is gonna take a whole step out of rooting...just keeps getting eaiser for these kids.

5. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, OK, you're talking about SPRecovery_for_ESE81.sbf. I thought you meant a whole ESE81 that was already rooted. SPRecovery_for_ESE81.sbf is just the ESE81 kernel and recovery partition with SPRecovery in place of the stock recovery.

For those phones, Motorola is (at the moment) the only one who can make the files because of the encryption they are using to protect the phone. If your file isn't signed by the right keys it's not going in. The Droid 1 doesn't even care if the file is signed or not, much less who it's signed by.

They got what they needed from us.

The best hacks take something the phone trusts and use it against it. :)

6. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    So far just stock with custom recoveries. I keep the newest Superuser update.zip file on my SD card of all my phones, so getting SU from that point is flashing a single .zip. With a little extra work that .zip could be made even better by having it install busybox, etc. while it's adding su and Superuser.apk.

BUT, where I want to be is what you just said above. I want to be able to take the code group that populates /system, and add files to it, and then use it when rebuilding the SBF. Honestly I think it will be easy (especially compared to what I just had to figure out), but I just don't have all the Linux file system stuff loaded into my brain yet. Even if I never got to that point it wouldn't kill me (maybe bug me slightly) since as long as I can have my custom recovery flashed in as part of the stock ROM, everything else is a single update.zip away.

7. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    Next project......easily flash these from a Mac?

8. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    I've not seen anybody do a complete ROM as an SBF yet (other than Motorola of course). At this point I have no reason to think it's impossible, but if it's been done, I've not seen it yet.

According to my research, someone who goes by [mbm] made the SPRecovery_for_ESE81.sbf. I've seen posts to that effect here, and also found a little note by him buried in one of the code groups (which gave me a chuckle). In any event, I'm sure there are any number of people who could have done this if they weren't working on other things. The good news is, however many people there are that know how to do it, there's now 1 more and that helps get things done. :)

9. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks! With EasyRoot and ROM Manager, it can't get much easier -- heck, flashing a SBF is probably harder. I think I see these files more as a way to fix things when you break them (with ROM Manager or whatever) and can't get back in. Also for people like me who don't want to use EasyRoot and just want their custom recovery so they can do what they like however they like.

10. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    Since there is a Linux based utility that can flash SBF's on, I'd think if you had a modern Mac, running whatever it is they run that's a Linux derivative, you could just compile that utility for the Mac and you'd be all set. I don't know a thing about Mac's and don't know anybody who even uses one, so that's about as clever as I can be right off the cuff on that one.

11. jstafford1

Ratings:
    +223
    As nice as these are......since rsd only runs on windows our Mac users are left out in the cold. We searched for while to find a way to get it to work to no avail. Maybe someone will be inspired to try now. Lol

12. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, but Easy root and Rom Manager has serious problems. Seems like all the problems I see are directly related to one of those two apps.

This will be good!

13. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    I think it is hard to keep the newbies from taking the easy route -- it's too tempting. I'd much rather do it the tried-and-true, reliable way -- even if it takes an extra 3 minutes. Like you said, we can't protect them from themselves, but at least now maybe we'll have a couple extra options before we have to blow away the entire phone to get 'em operational again.

14. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This alone can explain why people have trouble when booting after flashing spr on Froyo. It comes with the ESE81 kernel. Learn something new everyday.

And that linux can just use flash_sbf.

15. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    According to a quick Google search I just did, you can compile Linux apps to run on Mac. Someone with a Mac needs to grab this code and take a whack at it.

Search tags for this page

create sbf file

droid a855 .sbf file
how to create a file from my files on droid

how to create a sbf file

how to create an sbf file

how to make a sbf file
how to make sbf file
make sbf file
sbf smg
sbf-recalc