1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Making SBF file ?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tujj99, Apr 22, 2010.

1. tujj99

tujj99 New Member

Hey, guys, how to make SBF file for Droid?
  2. madspeed

madspeed New Member

I'm sorry to say, but if you are asking this question, it is way above your abilities
  3. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Haha, got it handed to ya by the sweetish chef! What is a SBF file for droid anyways?
  4. madspeed

madspeed New Member

SBF file is a Superbase 95 file. It is used to program a device like your droid. The sbf files for the droid will flash the intenals back to stock as if you just pulled the unit out of the manufacturers box.

Happy coding...
  5. chevycam94

chevycam94 Steel Droid ROM Developer Developer

OK, I finally found this post. I am doing some digging and found a program that will decompile the SBF to sub files, but beyond that, nothing useful. I do remember that there was a SPRecovery SBF for 2.1, so how did "they" make it? Its not above my abilities, but learning more never hurts.
  6. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

IIRC, they split the original SBF and then hexedited the su binary and the superuser.apk into it - after that, they joined it back together.

Similar to the process for changing the power on logo from the Motorola "M" to something custom, just a bit more involved.
  7. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Since there is now a Linux based SBF flasher, presumably the structure of these files is well understood at this point -- at least from the standpoint of taking one and pumping it into a phone. It would seem that knowledge would also let someone write a tool to do the opposite -- take a phone and make an SBF of it's brains. There's a tool out there called "SBF-ReCalc" that can open an SBF file and split it into the correct pieces and then put it back together again. I don't pretend to know what to do with it, but if you want to put the time in you might be able to do something useful with it. It opens the FRG01B SBF file just fine, so in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing it would probably be useful.
  8. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

We were discussing this amongst some of the RS. Gonna keep my eye on this one and see if anyone comes up with anything good.
  9. MotoCache1

Because I just can't seem to put this crap down and go to bed I went ahead and used SBF-ReCalc to split the original ESD56 SBF file since I have an image file of the recovery (by itself) from that build. Lo and behold one of the files that SBF-ReCalc spit out (VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03CG35.smg) contains the same data (on quick observation) as my image file -- just without all the extra padding on the end.

What this means to me is that, at a minimum, it should be possible to make an IMG file of the "stock recovery" from any of our SBF files and just flash it on with flash_image (assuming you're root). Assuming just a little knowledge of SBF-ReCalc can be had (which must be possible since this is a hacker tool, not something written by Motorola), then making an SBF for virtually any recovery image you have (Clockwork, etc.) so you can flash it on with RSDLite (if you're not already root) should be a breeze.

It also looks like replacing the recovery in any of the other SBF's we've got (e.g. FRG01B) might be similarly easy. I really need to sleep for at least a couple hours but I'm sure I'm going to take a stab at making an FRG01B SBF that has SPRecovery baked into it later today.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. christim

christim Super Moderator

I think a few of us would be interested in that. I've talked to others and as near as I can tell the sbf files come from moto. This makes sense that there is a 2.01 sbf file to reload a stock phone if some customer ended up with a glitch from an app or something.

What makes no sense to me is moto releasing a sprecovery sbf file. I hope that guy didn't get himself fired because I doubt it was an officially released item.

Likewise, the ese81 rooted stock file is also an odd release. Of course, moto may have still been making up their mind about open bootloaders at the time too. For them this rooting community may very well have been a marketing experiment to see how it went.....who knows.

It would be nice to have a 2.2 rooted stock sbf file too. If such a thing was easy, I'd think someone would have made it already, and for those trying such a thing, I wish you luck and the thanks of our community.
  11. MotoCache1

SPRecovery isn't a Motorola utility. Perhaps you meant to say it doesn't make any sense for them to release a SBF of just the recovery? Presumably that's what happened, and then the SBF was hacked and the image replaced with the SPRecovery image. It's also feasible for someone who knew what they were doing to have started with the complete ESE81 SBF and then just remove all of the parts not related to recovery.

I've never seen a "stock rooted" ESE81 SBF. Seen plenty of ROMs, but not an SBF. If you have a download link for an ESE81 rooted SBF I'd like to take a look at the file and compare to a non-rooted ESE81 SBF and how they did it.

My personal opinion on this is that Motorola didn't intentionally make it easy to root these devices, but they didn't go out of their way to prevent it either. I think providing the SBF files to the Verizon stores and repair shops is necessary to prevent getting 10 times the number of returns. If the store can flash a SBF on and send the customer on their way it is a win for everybody.

Also, from Motorola's statement about having a "business reason" for not locking down the boot loader on the Droid, it's pretty obvious to me that we were the business reason. Give the hacker community a nifty hackable toy to play with it and it will become their favorite above other less-hackable but otherwise similar toys. If we like it, then our non-hacking friends will probably also be convinced of how cool it is and buy one, and their friends and so on.

Personally, I'd rather install a bone stock SBF and root it myself so I know what I'm starting with. Making a SBF that is rooted is tougher than just replacing the recovery system in the SBF. The recovery system is a monolithic image. Find it in the file, replace it, fix the checksums, and you should be good. The /system partition however -- I have no idea how that is stored (yet) - but tacking a couple extra files into /system/bin and /system/app is bound to be a little tougher.

I'll let you know how it goes.
  12. MotoCache1

I was tied up for a bit, but finally got a little time to look at this. I have successfully made a SBF that can flash clockwork onto an unrooted ESE81 phone. It's somewhat amusing how easy it was. I guess it was sort of cheating since I had an ESE81 SBF that would flash SPRecovery on to start with. That told me which code groups I needed to mess with and it was pretty elementary from there. I'm going to see how that knowledge translates into making a SBF for FRG01B that only flashes the recovery. If this works the way I think it does, that will be easy as well.

Wish me luck.
  13. MotoCache1

I know the original creator of the ESE81 SPRecovery SBF file was someone on Droidmod who goes by the handle "[mbm]". I hope he sees this post some day and gets at least a little grin.

I found your short note hidden in one of the code groups in the SBF. I Googled the phrase and it doesn't appear that anybody else has ever repeated it anywhere in the whole of the Internet in proper context (or at least that portion of the Internet that has been preserved for prosperity by Google). It looks like you said it once on #milestone-modding in May of this year. You even put a :p after it. Could be just coincidence or could be an inside joke amongst your crew. Anyway, I thought it was a nice touch.
  14. MotoCache1

The beast is conquered.

I have built the following SBF's:

• SBF to flash complete FRG01B with SPRecovery for the recovery
    • SBF to flash complete FRG01B with ClockworkMod Recovery for the recovery
    • SBF to flash only recovery for FRG01B that replaces recovery with SPRecovery but changes nothing else.
    • SBF to flash only recovery for FRG01B that replaces recovery with ClockworkMod Recovery but changes nothing else.
    I still have some playing I want to do before elaborating as I didn't get a chance to work on the one last thing that I want to play with.

This wasn't a "plug and play" thing -- it took some decent reasoning skills and intuition to look at the output of "mount" and "cat /proc/mtd" and then look at these code groups that come out of the SBF and take some dd dumps of partitions on a live phone and compare it all and decide what is where. Obviously it's not impossible -- I went from never having touched an SBF before (other than installing ones made by others) to building my own in about 5 hours.

Anyway, thanks to christim for this nudge. I'm sure he didn't intend it as a nudge, but it was a little bonus incentive:
  15. MotoCache1

Note for my "to do" list. Make SBF to do nothing but put stock recovery back on without blowing away the whole phone. It's as easy as any of the others I just didn't think to do it yet.
  16. christim

christim Super Moderator

I'm definitely impressed!

I am pretty sure that in the 3rd link of my signature is a link to a file Pete passed along (he did not make it) that is a rooted stock ese81 file.

And you are correct, the context of my phrase was that I thought moto released an sprecovery sbf file. I did not mean to imply moto created the sprecovery file only that to me it looked like someone at moto took the existing sprecovery file and turned it into an sbf file that RSD Lite could use.

So the next question might be....if moto is not the only entity that can create sbf files can one be made to flash over the stock recovery app on the DX and D2?

I'm in complete agreement that the hacking community is vocal and brought in additional sales for motorola. I guess not enough to repeat the same process on their newer phones though.

It did not cross my mind that someone would hack an existing sbf file to make it do something different. That's why I thought it odd moto would release sprecovery via a moto created sbf file.
  17. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Are any of these rooted, or just stock with the custom recoveries?
  18. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i'm pretty sure p3droid from mydroidworld knows the most about this stuff. i think he make the ese81 with sprecovery sbf. and i think he has an understanding (i think he may have released an actual rom in the sbf form)

if developers could figure out how, it would be helpful to romming motorola phones
  19. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Wow, great job Moto! If these end up working this is gonna take a whole step out of rooting...just keeps getting eaiser for these kids.
  20. MotoCache1

Oh, OK, you're talking about SPRecovery_for_ESE81.sbf. I thought you meant a whole ESE81 that was already rooted. SPRecovery_for_ESE81.sbf is just the ESE81 kernel and recovery partition with SPRecovery in place of the stock recovery.

For those phones, Motorola is (at the moment) the only one who can make the files because of the encryption they are using to protect the phone. If your file isn't signed by the right keys it's not going in. The Droid 1 doesn't even care if the file is signed or not, much less who it's signed by.

They got what they needed from us.

The best hacks take something the phone trusts and use it against it. :)
Search tags for this page

create sbf file

droid a855 .sbf file
how to create a file from my files on droid

how to create a sbf file

how to create an sbf file

how to make a sbf file

how to make sbf file

how to open sbf android file

make sbf file

open sbf file
sbf recalc 1.3