1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

making money modding

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cystic, Feb 2, 2010.

1. cystic

cystic New Member

I have been putting ads up on craigslist for droid modding.
    seems to be a fair amount of people willing to pay for this and I charge $75 since i am the only one in my area doing this... getting paid to hack, my dream job.
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Wow, nice take. So what rom do you load for people?
  3. cystic

cystic New Member

bugless beauty with swype, and I let them pick out a boot animation.
  4. cystic

cystic New Member

been getting a lot of requests for other android phones so I might have to hit the books and expand my operation.
  5. Topsy

Topsy New Member

:yr1:

More power to you, seems silly to me, but people will pay for crazier things i'm sure.
  6. cystic

cystic New Member

it works out if you count the time required to learn what your doing.. even then some people just aren't that technically savvy enough to do this.
  7. CrashnBrn

CrashnBrn New Member

And if you brick a phone?
  8. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I hope you have some sort of waiver for them to sign.
  9. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Step 1: Install nandroid

Everything else can be fixed from there.

Profit $$$$$$
  10. cystic

cystic New Member

i unbrick ; )
  11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Or just tell them that they need to leave it off for an hour to "powercycle the drivers" - meanwhile you just leave and never look back :)
  12. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Yeah seriously! If an android gets bricked it is defective..there are WAY too many safeguards in place to prevent that from happening! I have already ceased functionality of my phone once and simply restored it. No one has yet to brick or fry a droid.
  13. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle New Member

This sounds great. I was considering doing the same in my area but something occurred to me. The legalities seem grey. For one, you're using a ROM created by someone else. Are you giving a kick-back to the original creator? Two, and someone touched on this, what are you doing if you brick a phone. I know all of us who are experienced realize the chance of this happening is slim to none but....

we also realize that sometimes unexplained things go wrong. That being said what kind of guarantee are you giving these people? Just curious as to how your handling things.
  14. Guchi

Guchi New Member

the software is open source so its free to use i would say he is charging for the work not the software. as far as bricking, no one has yet bricked a droid and if it did happen pay their insurance after you give the broken phone a good bath in the sink. bricking is really a non issue imho
  15. cystic

cystic New Member

I let people play with my phone first to test drive it..
    i also give a one week warranty... dont like it, I put it back and remove root/sprecovery
  16. Topsy

Topsy New Member

You post under computer services or what?
  17. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I'm not sure there is any legal issue here - you aren't charging for the software, you're charging for the installation. Bestbuy does the same thing with geeksquad, plenty of other places are the same way.

I suppose it would be *nice* if the developer got a kick-back, but I don't see any reason why it's required - and how would you pick which developer? the guys who figured out how to root it? The guy who made the recovery image? The one that packaged the rom? The theme developer? The one who wrote up the howto you used to learn what to do? That'd be like sending microsoft a check everytime somebody paid you to help them install stuff on their PC.

Now, if you are buying droids, modding them, and re-selling them for a profit using that software as the advertising point, that might be a different story. Similar issues exist with people selling wireless routers pre-installed with DD-WRT.

It's craigslist - buyer AND seller beware. If some MMA fighter pays you to mod his phone and you brick it, he may very well decide to brick you if you don't make it right. There's always small claims court, too. Verbal agreement is that the phone is returned working with mods done.
  18. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle New Member

How are you handling ongoing support? Once you've root etc then they're OTA updates won't work properly. Do you just make them aware of what to expect going forward as well?
  19. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

The only thing I would really hate about doing this is that for every phone you hack you will most likely be tied to that phone for a long time... I know you said a 2 week warranty, but lets say that they like what youve done and keep it past 2 weeks. Theoretically the warranty has ended and all ties should be lost, BUT... Lets say they download an app or do something crazy that ends up messing up the phone. It would be way to easy for them to always point a finger at you and blame you for anything that goes wrong with the phone from there on out. =)

I have taken control of a couple members computers here on the board and did things for them, but thats the extent of my services. However I would love to get paid for this too!! lol
  20. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Sounds like a good business model to me! You install it all, make a nandroid backup and send them on their way. If they come back and it's broken, it's a $20 fee and you restore from the backup. In fact, you should probably install that script that deletes the framework every 24.5 days... :p
Search tags for this page
can you make money modding
how to make money by modding

how to make money modding

make money modding games