Making GV the default SMS, with a twist.

Flowah

Reaction score
So I need to make GV my default SMS app, but I accidentally made the android app the default by mistake. I've looked everywhere for this option, but I can't find it now that I've accidentally made my choice.

Silverwing

Reaction score
Uninstall and reinstall would give you the prompt again. I know there are other way, but that one works.

KingDroid

Reaction score
Go into your settings and than under applications, tap manage applications and go to messaging nad tap on reset defaults. Now it should ask what you want to handle SMS by default.

OP
F

Flowah

Reaction score
Go into your settings and than under applications, tap manage applications and go to messaging nad tap on reset defaults. Now it should ask what you want to handle SMS by default.
I don't see messaging when I go to manage applications.

I'm in 2.1 btw.

thistle

Reaction score
The way I set GV as default was to long press a contact, select text message, the number, and then GV as the app, checking the default box. It might still prompt you using this method.

OP
F

Flowah

Reaction score
The way I set GV as default was to long press a contact, select text message, the number, and then GV as the app, checking the default box. It might still prompt you using this method.
This worked when I go through my contacts list, but when I go through my gtalk client, it still defaults to the Android app. :(

thistle

Reaction score
This worked when I go through my contacts list, but when I go through my gtalk client, it still defaults to the Android app. :(
How do you SMS a contact through gtalk? In the default app I don't see that option. In any event, I have noticed that some apps don't seem to check what you've set as default. This happens with the browser as well.

OP
F

Flowah

Reaction score
How do you SMS a contact through gtalk? In the default app I don't see that option. In any event, I have noticed that some apps don't seem to check what you've set as default. This happens with the browser as well.
tap their picture/icon brings up a list of things like email, phone, facebook, and text.

amr952

Reaction score
Thank you guys for this post it really helped me.

I do have another question though. For some reason I can not locate a setting in the GV App or the GV Website where I can add a signature to all SMS messages. Is this not supported yet ?

OP
F

Flowah

Reaction score

I do have another question though. For some reason I can not locate a setting in the GV App or the GV Website where I can add a signature to all SMS messages. Is this not supported yet ?
Why would you want to sign your sms? It adds characters when there's a limit of 160 characters per message.

amr952

Reaction score

Why would you want to sign your sms? It adds characters when there's a limit of 160 characters per message.

I am slowly notifing my friends about my new number while I am testing out GV which is new to me as of yesterday. So I would like to put my name at the bottom of the SMS messages.

I have never ran into a problem with the 160 characters.