Making Calls: Poor Cell Reception in my house, Good WiFi

trevorx3

Reaction score
Can I use the WiFi to make calls and texts? I'd prefer to use my own number but if there's a way to do it with Google Voice, I'd probably settle for that.

If I do have to use G Voice, can you guys give me some tips or some links on how to switch smoothly?

lemodular

Reaction score
Short answer is no. You can not make wifi phone calls unless it's skype or something like it. GV will use your cell minutes (and require reception), it just "masks" your number. There are apps out there, however, which will use wifi to text; as a matter of act I think GV will txt using wifi.

If am wrong, someone will chime in to correct me.

Reaction score
Short answer is no. You can not make wifi phone calls unless it's skype or something like it. GV will use your cell minutes (and require reception), it just "masks" your number. There are apps out there, however, which will use wifi to text; as a matter of act I think GV will txt using wifi.

GV allows you to text using WIFI, but the text will come from your GV number.

OP
T

trevorx3

Reaction score

GV allows you to text using WIFI, but the text will come from your GV number.

I'm fine with that. Too bad that GV calls don't work through wifi.

harrellj

Reaction score
One option is to get the network extender. Its basically like a wireless router but broadcasts cell signals. It can be set up so only authorized phones use it t.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

OP
T

trevorx3

Reaction score
One option is to get the network extender. Its basically like a wireless router but broadcasts cell signals. It can be set up so only authorized phones use it t.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

I'd rather not. They are generally very expensive. I've looked into them for the most part.

Benton

Reaction score
I have had issues with signal at my home as well and it those cases found that location makes a big difference. A distance of <6' can bring my signal reading from -78dB to -94dB as crazy as that sounds and some days are better than others...randomly. When I am outside my home I receive -74dB to -82dB telling me the issue is likely roofing and/or wall insulation. I documented these findings then called Verizon to request assistance which included the dreaded factory reset...same result with dropped calls. In the end they sent me a replacement phone and so far so good, no dropped calls in the house.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have good signal outside and poor signal inside what you really need is a repeater.

Can I use the WiFi to make calls and texts?
Not without some sort of VOIP solution or a network extender.

born2golf

Reaction score
Can I use the WiFi to make calls and texts? I'd prefer to use my own number but if there's a way to do it with Google Voice, I'd probably settle for that.

If I do have to use G Voice, can you guys give me some tips or some links on how to switch smoothly?

GoogleVoice TXT messages are sent over the data network (3G or wifi, whichever is active), so you could at least SMS over your wifi connection (and they are free). Everyone else has already answered regarding voice via wifi.