1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Making a framework-res.apk file: need help!

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by pkdesigns, May 31, 2010.

1. pkdesigns

pkdesigns New Member

Alright, first off I'm making a set of 3G icons. I've got the folders set right (framework-res/...), I've got the XML file setup (with the correct /system/framework path), yet metamorph didn't install it properly (did a MM loop, yes I've got debugging on)? Any help on what else the file needs would be great!
  2. forkup

forkup New Member

More info please, obviously if it was all setup correctly it would work :)
  3. treminaor

treminaor New Member

Are you using a .zip container for your theme? If so, ensure that you selected the /system folder and compressed it as framework-res.apk instead of selecting a framework-res folder CONAINING the system folder and compressed that. ex: a zip file with the structure "/framework-res.zip/system" as opposed to "/framework-res.zip/framework-res/system/".
  4. pkdesigns

pkdesigns New Member

Well I guess I'm asking if I need any other files than the folders containing the .pngs, and the xml file? I'm trying to use metamorph to swap my 'stat_3g' .pngs to make it show up red in my notification bar.
  5. FuzzyBeard

FuzzyBeard New Member

I just put in the files I'm replacing instead of all the .png's keeping in mind I still use the entire folder structure

/framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi/whatever.png

two things I found out. I needed to use 7-zip to set the compression to storage. I needed to put framework-res in the /system/framework/ directory
  6. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

All you have to do is adb pull the framework-res.apk, replace the pngs, and adb push it back.
  7. treminaor

treminaor New Member

+1 to this.

Metamorph is a waste of time IMO. Test your theme using ADB and when it's ready to release, make an update.zip.
  8. pkdesigns

pkdesigns New Member

So just zip the files up that I wanna change in the framework path, and make it update.zip and install from the root? That easy?

Anyone know of a good mac compressor that does a storage option?
  9. treminaor

treminaor New Member

Just use the built-in Right-Click menu compression tool. You don't need any fancy storage compression.

Find someone else's update.zip and take a look at the hierarchy. And keep in mind that OSX creates a folder to keep the extracted contents in that should not be re-zipped. For example, if you unzipped a zip file that had a structure like this: "/framework-res.apk/system", it would extract it into a folder called framework-res (even though that folder didnt exist). To rezip it correctly, zip up the /system/ folder and name the zip framework-res.apk (and press yes to change the extension.)
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  10. pkdesigns

pkdesigns New Member

what i tried to do before was:

make my files under the path of: framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi/whatever.png

then i tried to drag it right over so Metamorph could run it.

what you're saying is to do the whole path? /system/framework/framework-res/res/drawable-hdpi/whatever.png, zip that up, then move it over as update.zip? i'm still kinda lost at what you're saying.

by adb pull you mean './adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk' in terminal right? im not very familiar with adb
Search tags for this page

framework.res file

how to compress framework-res
how to make a new framework-res.apk