Making a Call from Contacts

bigdog9586

Reaction score
Is there a way to touch a contact and have it dial the number. Now when I touch a contact I then have to touch the phone number before it will dial.

timrock

Reaction score
Touch the phone icon next to the number, I believe.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jamb

Reaction score

Yes , the green phone icon across from the contact name right next to envelope on far left of DX.:icon_ banana:

OP
B

bigdog9586

Reaction score

Yes , the green phone icon across from the contact name right next to envelope on far left of DX.:icon_ banana:
All that does is call the number when you touch it. When I touch John Does name in my contacts I want it to dial the number then not take me to the screen where I touch the phone icon next to the number. Sorry for the confusion.

Humpa

Reaction score
How about it, anyboday have an answer?
I'm using DialerOne, and when I click on Contacts, there is a green phone icon next to each one.
I didn't think DialerOne changed that, but if you don't have the green phone icon next to your contacts, try out DialerOne from the market - it is free.

Lightninrod

Reaction score
how to speed dial on Verizon Motorola Droid X? | Verizon Cell Phones

There is one way.

Or, go to your Contacts, select one you want a one-touch dialer for and then touch the 'star' in the upper right-hand corner. That adds that contact's name and phone to your Favorites list. You can put your Favorites on any of the screens. When you tap it, a list of your chosen contacts will appear with a green phone icon next to each name. Just tap the green phone and and dialing will begin. It's a two step process instead of a three step one. That list will also appear when you tap on the 'white' phone icon in the lower left of each scree; again a two step process.

OP
B

bigdog9586

Reaction score
I'm after a one step process. I want to put a contact on my home screen and touch the contact and have it dial the number not go to another screen where I have to click on the green phone icon. Only time you should have to do that is if you have more than one number for that person.

Humpa

Reaction score
I'm after a one step process. I want to put a contact on my home screen and touch the contact and have it dial the number not go to another screen where I have to click on the green phone icon. Only time you should have to do that is if you have more than one number for that person.
Oh, you want a direct dial shortcut on your homescreen. I thought you wanted a one-click from the Contacts. I was wondering what you were talking about.

I don't know why Moto Blur removed that widget - it is a standard one. I know there are other ways, but with BetterCut you can create a direct dial shortcut - create new shortcut from within BetterCut, choose "Available Shortcut" and direct dial is in there.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
There is a very simple way to do this...at least simple for me coming from a HTC Touch running SPB...

1) On a Home Screen, Long Tap to brig up the "Add to Home Screen" menu.

2) Go to "Motorola Widgets"

3) Then "Contact Quick Tasks". Your contacts list should appear, choose the contact you want.

4) The next screen should be all that contacts info. Here you can select up to 2 "quick tasks" to assign to this contact(call # or Text # etc). Choose 1 or 2.

5) Then select "Done" at the bottom of the screen.

6) Now you should see a new item on the Home Screen with 1 or 2 options associated with it. Now, to set it to automatically ring a phone number, all you need to do is tap the "phone" icon. This should bring up a menu box with the phone number displayed and an "Enable one-touch calling" with a check box. Check that box and it should dial straight away. From now on it should dial that contact just by tapping the ion itself.

7)Long Tap the widget to re-size it..you can make it as small as a normal widget icon just showing the contacts picture.

8) If this is all you wanted, then you should be done.

I know I said this was easy, and it is, but typing it out makes it look a bit harder than it is. Once you have did it for a couple of contacts, it becomes a breeze. I hope this helps...please let me know if this is exactly what you were talking about....:)

Humpa

Reaction score
There is a very simple way to do this...at least simple for me coming from a HTC Touch running SPB...
Well, that is easy - it just takes a lot of words. ;)

Why have I seen so many posts about that option missing? Maybe it is because you can't use that widget with LauncherPro - so those people were left without an option.

OP
B

bigdog9586

Reaction score

3) Then "Contact Quick Tasks". Your contacts list should appear, choose the contact you want.

4) The next screen should be all that contacts info. Here you can select up to 2 "quick tasks" to assign to this contact(call # or Text # etc). Choose 1 or 2.

6) Now you should see a new item on the Home Screen with 1 or 2 options associated with it. Now, to set it to automatically ring a phone number, all you need to do is tap the "phone" icon. This should bring up a menu box with the phone number displayed and an "Enable one-touch calling" with a check box. Check that box and it should dial straight away. From now on it should dial that contact just by tapping the ion itself.

7)Long Tap the widget to re-size it..you can make it as small as a normal widget icon just showing the contacts picture.

I know I said this was easy, and it is, but typing it out makes it look a bit harder than it is. Once you have did it for a couple of contacts, it becomes a breeze. I hope this helps...please let me know if this is exactly what you were talking about....:)

It still don't work but it does bring up a small screen that I still have to touch the 2nd time in order to make the call. Better but not what I want. I think it's Android problem. Don't they realize that when I click on my phone or setup an icon to call a certain person that is what I want to do. I should Not have to confirm one or two times before I make the call. Maybe they need a speed dialing option where I just tap the contact and it dials like most phones have. Maybe in version 2.3 :)

OP
B

bigdog9586

Reaction score
Oh, you want a direct dial shortcut on your homescreen. I thought you wanted a one-click from the Contacts. I was wondering what you were talking about.

I don't know why Moto Blur removed that widget - it is a standard one. I know there are other ways, but with BetterCut you can create a direct dial shortcut - create new shortcut from within BetterCut, choose "Available Shortcut" and direct dial is in there.
Thats what I wanted. I knew someone would figure out what I was trying to say. Sorry for the confusion.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

It still don't work but it does bring up a small screen that I still have to touch the 2nd time in order to make the call. Better but not what I want. I think it's Android problem. Don't they realize that when I click on my phone or setup an icon to call a certain person that is what I want to do. I should Not have to confirm one or two times before I make the call. Maybe they need a speed dialing option where I just tap the contact and it dials like most phones have. Maybe in version 2.3 :)

Again, once you set the Quick Task up, the first time you use it, you will have to "enable" the task you want it to do, such as dial the number, when that Menu Box pops up. Check the Enable box, and then tap the "phone icon"...it will then dial out. Now, the next time you tap the actual Quick Task icon for a person, it should automatically dial the number of that Quick Task contact...

Look at step #6 again...and check the pics attached to see if you are getting the right Widget Menus...
44048410835823425122.png
49419742647596686662.png
46720586584112858868.png

Last edited: