Major issue with wifi on Droid

Frank Lee

Reaction score
I just got my Droid a couple of weeks ago, and already had to exchange the phone for other issues.

The issue this time is the wifi and the fact that nothing works with the wifi. I cant stream Pandora, I cant surf the net, I cant download stuff from the marketplace. On the previous device the wifi worked just fine, all of the wifi devices in my house work just fine. I would deal with it, but in my house I get 0 service, and if I do get any service its 1x, and super slow.

Ive read some fixes, but they haven't fixed anything yet.

Does anyone know what I can check and do?

Thanks.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So it connects but it's not letting you do anything? Or it just won't even connect to your home wifi?

OP
F

Frank Lee

Reaction score
It'll connect, and it shows a strong connection. It just wont do anything.

Web pages wont load, marketplace times out, Pandora just sits there and loads until I close it.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would need some backup on this to be sure but... it really sounds to me like your router is letting you connect but it's blocking your access. You may need to go into the setup thing.. you know 192.168.1.1 (that's what my router is anyway) on a wired computer and check things out.

Also, maybe, if you have something else like Norton Firewall or something, it may be bloacking it. I'd say router but I am just giving you ideas.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree with Xkape. Your problem is with your network. Have you tried connecting to something like Starbucks or McDonalds or Barnes & Nobles, etc.? I don't think the problem is with your phone.

OP
F

Frank Lee

Reaction score
The strange part is, the first Droid I had worked great on the wifi, no changes made to the network what so ever. I get this new phone, and all of a sudden it acts like theres no internet connection there, just a network.

Ill check the network settings again, but I honestly think its gotta be something else.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Dude best I can tell you is test test test. Go to McDonalds, BW3's. Barnes and Noble.. like the other user said. See if it works somewhere else, then decide what to do.

scoder

Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that part about the other devices.

I would try a different wifi spot also and see if it works there. If not, try a hard reset. If you still get nothing, it's shot.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Are you blocking router access using MAC addresses?

New phone will have new address?

Ron W.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
Have you checked your WiFi AP's security settings? There has been an issue for a while with the Droid connecting to WPA/WPA2 secured networks that use AES encryption. If your AP is using AES change the encryption type to TKIP, this has solved the problem in the past.

HamDog

Reaction score
Have you checked your WiFi AP's security settings? There has been an issue for a while with the Droid connecting to WPA/WPA2 secured networks that use AES encryption. If your AP is using AES change the encryption type to TKIP, this has solved the problem in the past.

THANKS! I'm not the OP, but I JUST installed a new Buffalo wireless router and couldn't get my Droid to connect. I tried everything. I came here and saw this thread and initially thought this isn't my issue as I can't even connect. But I read the thread anyways and glad I did as you just solved my problem!

I was using WPA/WPA-2 TKIP/AES combo and changed it to WAP-2 TKIP and now everything works. Except that it shows I have a poor signal when I'm right next to the router. But the connection appears fast. My laptop picks up the signal excellent. Trying to figure that one out.

Droid 1 -Not Rooted - Manually updated to 2.2 FRG01B

nite 0wl

Reaction score
Glad it helped HamDog (I had to look through my list of old posts to find that one, it came from a thread from when we were still on 2.0, I had hoped the issue would have been addressed by now). I haven't run into the signal strength issue you describe but if it is connecting I think we can put that down as an "annoyance" rather than a "killer bug". It would be nice if the OP could update us on the status of his issue and wether or not any of the suggestions have helped the issue.

re747

Reaction score
I have a similar problem as the original poster. My droid is fully connected to my wireless network in my apartment (it says "connected", shows full signal strength) but it doesn't actually receive anything, if that makes sense. As in no web page or internet-requiring app will load. And yes, I have other devices running wireless on the network and have never had a problem. The weird part is that when I go home to my parent's house my droid connects to their wireless without any problem at all. This makes me believe there's nothing wrong with my phone, but the fact that I have laptop/printer/wii running on the network makes me believe there's nothing wrong with the router/network either. So I'm really stumped. Some people mentioned problems based on the kind of router. I'm using a netgear wireless router rangemax wpn824. I don't know if that's N or G haha, so any advice would be much appreciated.