Major drawback of the Incredible vs I-phone

posttal

Reaction score
I see a lot of people point out how great the HTC Incredible is.And for the most part I agree.I like my incredible but other than the processor and the fact that its NOT on AT&T I'm not overly crazy about it as some are.Why you ask..One reason that may not effect some of you but I kills me.The fact that I cant hook it to my truck like i do the I-phone.Keep in mine I dont have an I-phone but I do have 2 I-touches.One I keep in my car and it plugs into my pioneer touch screens gps dvd player.That way I can download movies and mp3's and play them in the truck.And it has the same user screen as an i-pod.I guess I could hook the droid to the radio via the headphone jack.But I dont know what it would use for a menu or how to charge it.And as far as movies..i have a few on my droid but theres no interface to play them on the pioneer.I know most dont care..But it would be nice if the droid did all that it does AND could be used more for multimedia.I even have an i-touch that hooks to the big screen in the housefor movies that I download.You just cant do that with a droid.But I did make the choice to go with the droid over the i-pod mainly because of the server..verizon.Even thought their customer service is the worst I'v ever seen at least the actual network is good and hopefully you'll never need customer service.
Just my 2 cents worth...

R24D24

Reaction score
Not a major drawback at all. I am confused as to why if you have 2 ipod touches, why you care about the ability of your phone to do what those devices already do for you.

The major drawback is in the iphone TBH, the Inc kills the iphone 3gs, and is a step up from the moto droid which is also superior to the iphone. There will always be little things/tweaks different phones give you, but there is no contest here, not now.

I went from BB, to HTC mogul, to iphone (1G, 2G, 3G, 3Gs), to moto droid, to Inc. I use 2 of them at any given time, and when I tried out my 3Gs again, it seemed like old tech.

Use what is best for you, but I can all but promise the iphone will seem dated when put to the test against the Inc. I laugh at work when people use the iphone to google info and solve arguments. I wait til they are half done with the search, pull out my Inc, use voice search, and pull up the info while they are staring at their screens lol.

kmo

Reaction score
And are you watching all this media while driving your vehicle or is it for passenger viewing? Hope it's the latter cause I sure wouldn't want to be driving next to you on the Freeway, haha. Sounds like you already have it covered with your Ipod touch. Did you know all this info prior to buying your INC? As far as service what hasn't Verizon done for you? Curious as to the specific reasons. I recently almost left VZW to purchase an iphone but it was the customer service that kept me hanging in there long enough to be able to upgrade the MDroid then the Incredible. I am glad I waited because seeing what my Incredible does side by side next to my wife's iphone I prefer the INC. Yea there's pros and cons for both phones so I guess it comes down to personal choice in features you want/need. By the way, the Incredible does have a TV out feature as well.

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never understood the need for hooking your phone to your car. All I used to do on my Alpine was just burn all my music to data on a blu-ray disc and bam!, 25Gb of music. On my old Pioneer Avic that plays video, I just burn half songs and half music, pop the disc in, go to the folder I want, and just play it. If I don't want to use a disc, I just pop in my usb hardrive which works too.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I never understood the need for hooking your phone to your car. All I used to do on my alpine was just burn all my music to data on a blu-ray disc and bam!, 25Gb of music. On my Avic that plays video, I just burn half songs and half music, pop the disc in, go to the folder I want, and just play it.

Same here...Connecting to my Auto is of Zero use to me....

But that;s just me :icon_ banana:

Droidlicous

Reaction score
Or be like me and just get a unit that has Bluetooth and bam!! you got instant Online radio or whatever music you have on ur phone!!!

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
I have 2 I-touches because one is used in the truck hooked to a pioneer Avic with all the goodies..including the over ride to watch video.. although its more for the passenger...or lunch breaks at work.I generally dont drive with it,but if i do its my choice like its some of yours to drive and talk on the phone or text..
I use it where most people would use a plain ole MP3 or i-pod.The other i use for MP3's on my Harley were it plugs into the factory radio and I have a wireless remote on the handle bars to change the music or I take it in the house were it plugs into a 52 inch flat screen for video.I download movies from various sites overseas to watch movies before there released here...and download old TV shows and movies as well as any weekly shows i might miss during the week.So they each serve a purpose.
Why do I have a droid..I buy and sell motorcycle parts on e-bay and got tired of looking for a WiFi hot spot if I had to make a bid during work or contact a company that kept the same hours that I had...thats why I got the droid..internet access.Plus I like to play games during breaks at work.I use it for the same basic tasks as I did the I-touch but with the added feature of internet and GPS..the GPS is great since I work as a mechanic for ther USPS making road and service calls when a mail truck breaks down..which could be any where in the city.
To have a phone with all the features of the droid but to have them NOT make a multimedia cable seems like short sightedness on their part.But again if you dont use it for this you wouldn't miss it.I've used my cell phones as MP3 playes on the motorcyle for years going back to my old motorola V710.So for me it would be nice to have the droid do everything.after all they can do it on the i-phone then by now so should HTC or motorola.
Oh and Droidlicous..the Avic HAS bluetooth..but it wont link to the music..only the phone and phone book.Although it WILL link to my sunglasses which is nice on the bike...but in the truck it would need a cable.

Last edited:
OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Oh and KMO..you asked about Verizon customer service.Well they did give me this droid for free after i get the 100.00 rebate.BUT they did it because I had Alltel and they did a verizon firmware push to my alltel phone causing it to go crazy.They said it was imposable but when i took it to a verizon store and the manager saw my phone said welcome to ALLTEL but had VERIZON icons he apologized and we worked out a deal on a new phone..he gave me a new LG ENv to replace my moto RokrV6.But with the gift of the replacement phone they also stuck me with a 2 yr contract which I never had.I didnt notice it until I went on line a few months later..normally I just pay my bill on the phone but this time i went on line...It took numerous calls to numerous people to correct it and thats when they gave me a deal on the droid.Of course now I do have a contract.
Calling verizon got me no where,they said straight out that there was nothing they could do to cancel the contract..all the positive help came from actual verizon stores where they admitted that there call centers pretty much have a book they go by..basicly if the customer says one thing they look it up in the book for the appropriate reply..they dont really think on there own.but the people in the stores seem to..at least around here.It took them 5 minites to look up my history..see the original problem and new phone they GAVE me and to cancel the contract.
So did verizon help me..yeah I guess..but it wasn't customer care it was the local store.They even told me of a government discount I could get since I work for the USPS saving me 20% on my bill each month as well as 20% off all accesories.Verizon customer service on the phone never mentioned it .So I'm on the fence as far as verizon goes..guess it all depends on your problem and who you talk to.

Last edited:

smacinskyjr

Reaction score
I see a lot of people point out how great the HTC Incredible is.And for the most part I agree.I like my incredible but other than the processor and the fact that its NOT on AT&T I'm not overly crazy about it as some are.Why you ask..One reason that may not effect some of you but I kills me.The fact that I cant hook it to my truck like i do the I-phone.Keep in mine I dont have an I-phone but I do have 2 I-touches.One I keep in my car and it plugs into my pioneer touch screens gps dvd player.That way I can download movies and mp3's and play them in the truck.And it has the same user screen as an i-pod.I guess I could hook the droid to the radio via the headphone jack.But I dont know what it would use for a menu or how to charge it.And as far as movies..i have a few on my droid but theres no interface to play them on the pioneer.I know most dont care..But it would be nice if the droid did all that it does AND could be used more for multimedia.I even have an i-touch that hooks to the big screen in the housefor movies that I download.You just cant do that with a droid.But I did make the choice to go with the droid over the i-pod mainly because of the server..verizon.Even thought their customer service is the worst I'v ever seen at least the actual network is good and hopefully you'll never need customer service.
Just my 2 cents worth...

I dissagree with this. I have the Pioneer Avic F-900bt head unit and that is what I blame. it is so lack luster in performance for 1100 bucks it makes me sick. it is the pioneer's falult that it wont work with your phone. You would think for an 1100$ deck it would at least stream audio through bluetooth, but it wont. Blame pioneer not the phone. I for one know that I will NEVER own another pioneer product. On a side note for 1100$ I should get Navagation updates for free. Not with pioneer, I have to spend 250 bucks a year to update that too (I think not) my Incredible has a better navagation any way.

jpoutre

Reaction score
I have to say the OP has a valid point. Now, I have an Incredible and love it. My situation, I just bought a new (well, 2008 Huyndai Santa FE) and had a addon installed which attached hookups for an AUX and IPOD connections to my radio. Now, I knew going into this that when I got my Incredible that I would be hooking it up via the headphone jack and controlling everything thru the phone. That's fine. BUT my daughter has an iTouch and we hooked that up thru the IPOD connector and everything shows up on the car radio itself and you can control everything from the radio and not the device itself, which I think is really cool.

I am not blaming anyone for this difference, but I do think it's one advantage of the iPhone/iTouch. Does not mean I am switching or anything, would just be cool if I could do the same with the Incredible. That's all. I listen to podcasts on the phone in the car all the time.

kmo

Reaction score
Well this is why Apple is well received with their market, their products work the way people want them to. For me not a big deal because when I get in my car I'm there to drive not to hook up my "entertainment" system. Personally I think people are way to distracted while driving, and having more distractions are becoming the norm with all the new technology that hook up to your car. To each his own I guess, I think eventually the Android phones will be able to compete on ALL levels with the likes of Apple, let's face it they were the ones who set the bar for all the devices arriving on the market place today.

jpoutre

Reaction score
Well this is why Apple is well received with their market, their products work the way people want them to. For me not a big deal because when I get in my car I'm there to drive not to hook up my "entertainment" system. Personally I think people are way to distracted while driving, and having more distractions are becoming the norm with all the new technology that hook up to your car. To each his own I guess, I think eventually the Android phones will be able to compete on ALL levels with the likes of Apple, let's face it they were the ones who set the bar for all the devices arriving on the market place today.

Just wondering, you must not ever listen to the radio then. I mean, if you did you would be as distracted as I would be if I had an iPOD type device hooked to my sound system, as it would be controlled by my radio. With my Incredible, I am more distracted because I have to pick up the phone to go to next podcast, pause, or whatever I want to do.

I hope that in the future, there is better integration. They would probably need a different type of outputs though, and with all different types of hardware, that might be tricky to work out. If they could , it would be awesome so we could be less distracted.

I know with some here, I am breaking a rule of giving Apple one area where it has an advantage. :)

OP
posttal

posttal

Reaction score
Dont know about the Avic 900bt..I have the AVIC-Z110BT which is suppose to be their top of the line..not that it matters this thread isn't about head units its about the phone.And..is just my opinion so it will differ from yours and others..thats the beauty of Forums.
As Jpoutre stated above the I-pod has a nice user interface.Of course they have been around for years.My original point was just that IF Droid or any one else wants to take the market from I-pod they need to make it more user friendly and expandable...more multi-media capable.I like my droid dont get me wrong..but when Verizon gets the I-phone...which I was told by a Verizon supervisor WILL happen by years end..i will trade in the droid...Personally I'll believe it whan I see it...I say this after seeing the NEXT generation of the I-phone that was leaked.You can see it at This Is Apple's Next iPhone - Iphone 4 - Gizmodo Also..if HTC doesn't improve the battery life I think a lot of folks are gonna be pissed.thats why Apple decided NOT to go with a phone that could mult-task..more things running means less battery life..and more heat.What good is a cool,high tech device if you can't make it though a whole day with it.And yeah I know some one is going to say they do..but on average they dont ..period.
The phone is new..it has issues..hopefully they will get it all worked out..I-Phones had issues to when first released..it is what it is !

kmo

Reaction score

Just wondering, you must not ever listen to the radio then. I mean, if you did you would be as distracted as I would be if I had an iPOD type device hooked to my sound system, as it would be controlled by my radio. With my Incredible, I am more distracted because I have to pick up the phone to go to next podcast, pause, or whatever I want to do.

I hope that in the future, there is better integration. They would probably need a different type of outputs though, and with all different types of hardware, that might be tricky to work out. If they could , it would be awesome so we could be less distracted.

I know with some here, I am breaking a rule of giving Apple one area where it has an advantage. :)
Well, since you don't me or my habits your statement directed at me is pointless. All I'm saying is people should be less distracted while driving not more because your device has to be picked up to make it do what you want it to. You do make my point though, people are too distracted when driving their cars. I use a bluetooth if I have to pick up a call and I'm not in the habit of making calls when driving, oh and not sure where you live and drive but we here in CA. have a hands free driving law in effect so picking up the phone while driving is supposed to be illegal, not that you'd know that by looking around at others driving on the streets. Not looking to argue about this just sharing my POV... ;)