Major Battery Dilemma

wyld

Reaction score
You can go into battery manager and tap the battery pic it will tell what uses the most out of your battery!

OP
awwpickle

awwpickle

Reaction score
it says display is using the most battery... 53%.

And the times listed on them were like 10 hours-30 hours running

garbageman

Reaction score
Never use task manager they are bad. Plenty of discussions on them here, look it if you disagree,

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

wyld

Reaction score
Some apps need to run for the phone to work! I have a task manager I only set certain apps to be auto killed

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Some apps need to run for the phone to work! I have a task manager I only set certain apps to be auto killed

Let's not debate task managers this isn't the thread for that.

Sent from somewhere...

wyld

Reaction score
Ok well goodnight hope the info you got helps out!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
My help may be a bit late seeing as you have a crap-tastic amount of errant apps running...but, in case you do get that issue fixed, feel free to give these instructions below a shot. This is how I have set my phone up, and depending on the ROM I am running, I get anywhere from 17- 24+ hours on the stock normal battery. I generally only charge my phone at night after I get home from work/go to bed. The best I have seen so far is with the leaked Pre-rooted/DeoDexxed GingerBread release from P3Droid..I ran my phone "moderately" and was able to pull off just a tad over 31 hours with 10% remaining battery...YMMV...

1) Go into Settings--->Battery--->Nightime Saver Mode..this is actually IMO a better setting than Maximum Saver, at least on my Droid X.

2) Your e-mail accounts, do they sync on their own? What type of schedule? Sync only over WiFi or over 3G as well? Set them for WiFI Only if you are in a good WiFi area...extend the times out if you are mostly on 3G.

3) What type of signal reception do you have, Great, Good, Lousy or 2 Soup Cans and some String? If your signal reception is Low, your phone will work harder trying to stay connected and trying to bounce between stronger towers. If signal is really bad, but a free WiFi connection is available, switch the WiFi on and keep it on until you are in a better 3G area.

4) Do you have any Social Widgets, RSS Feed Widgets, Weather Widgets or any other Widgets/Apps that like to update themselves regularly? If so, what are the refresh times for each? Can you set them to only update on a Manual Push? If not, then set the frequency to the longest permissible time frame for your ease of use and lifestyle.

Thats basically all my "tricks" that I utilize to keep my Droid X going for upwards of 17-20 hours on any given day....I hope they might help you as well..."

jeffly777

Reaction score
I'm going to buck the trend here. The rate you're describing for battery drain shouldn't be caused by any one app running.

I'm thinking it's either a problem in the software not managing memory allocation correctly (hence the huge number of running apps) or you have one of the incredibly rare android viruses I've heard about but never seen.

I think you should try a factory reset first, which is a pain but will solve any but serious software issues, or take it to a verizon store for a warranty exchange. The behavior you're describing is not normal, no matter how many apis you have installed.

Thunderstruck

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I'm going to buck the trend here. The rate you're describing for battery drain shouldn't be caused by any one app running.

I'm thinking it's either a problem in the software not managing memory allocation correctly (hence the huge number of running apps) or you have one of the incredibly rare android viruses I've heard about but never seen.

I think you should try a factory reset first, which is a pain but will solve any but serious software issues, or take it to a verizon store for a warranty exchange. The behavior you're describing is not normal, no matter how many apis you have installed.

Thunderstruck
1 rouge app can cause the operating system to flake out...and this can result in apps not being closed out properly when no longer needed. The fact that the OP has 62 apps currently running...and not idle, is an indication of something not being "right"...but I would not do a Factory reset until I distinguished between rogue app or botched system completely...

OP
awwpickle

awwpickle

Reaction score
I went into my settings and it is already set on nighttime saver mode.

My gmail syncs on its own.... but i'm not sure how often.... i would says its really often ... and i believe just over 3g?

Signal is kind of off and on... I live in a small town in montana so its never really great. But i can sit in one spot and watch it flicker from 1x to 3g.

I think I have some social networking widgets but i'm not using any and there are none on my homescreens.

Soooo ... If i do have some virus is my phone totally screwed??????

jeffly777

Reaction score
No. A factory reset *should* deal with a virus, but I've never actually seen one so I'm not 100% sure.

The fact that you're going back and forth on data and your signal is flaky couldn't be helping any. Try setting your data on wifi for a while if available and see if the battery drains slower.

A rogue app can cause weird stuff, but with the number of apps you have going and the fact that your battery status says no particular app is draining a lot of juice makes me think that's probably not your problem. Do rule it out first, though.

FYI, the gmail app is a push email app, meaning it only syncs when you open it and tell it to refresh or the network "pushes" an email. It's power drain is small. The social apps trying to update, combined with your data issues, could be the problem. Again, try leaving it on wifi for a while and see if that helps.

Thunderstruck