Maintain Root Through OTA with Voodoo OTA RootKeeper APP!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;tARC_hsfcTY]http://youtu.be/tARC_hsfcTY[/video]

Normally if you install an over the air update from Verizon it will strip you of your superuser ability at which point you have to search for a method, if one is even available for Re Rooting your device. Voodoo OTA RootKeeper is an app that allows you to simply backup your root, then accept the ota update, then go into the play store reinstall voodoo ota rootkeeper, then simply restore root. This is the simplest way by far to maintain root through almost any update. It is always good to get confirmation that this method works in whatever update thread is out before doing this.

Play Store Link

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
This app works great! I've used it on multiple phones as well as my ASUS TF101 tablet and was able to keep root on an otherwise unrootable OS revision update. :biggrin:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I like! Don't even have to power cycle after restore!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
So does this mean that if a new OTA fixes an exploit to root the phone, you can still keep your root? If so, that is awesome.

Reaction score
I have a Bionic and just installed this app but my OTA update still fails. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Sam

:edit:
Maybe I was a little confused about what my phone was doing. I thought my update was failing due to the root access.

Last edited:

jayman350

Reaction score
I've been using this on my Kindle Fire to have root access when I need it, but also be able to hide root to be able to use Amazon Prime Video and the other stuff that gets blocked when you root. Great app.

Good to know that I should keep it on my Bionic, for those updates that are coming....eventually :mad:

Vortec6

Reaction score
Amazing, but coulda used this a while back! Now I am stuck waiting on root! Fml stupid 2.3.4 I miss root

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
OP, I think that for something of this nature, you should actually say you tried it yourself, or atleast list some references.

This app works great! I've used it on multiple phones as well as my ASUS TF101 tablet and was able to keep root on an otherwise unrootable OS revision update. :biggrin:
Glad to hear an actual user review confirming it works. I imagine it wouldnt be posted here if it didnt already have success stories, but you never know.

So does this mean that if a new OTA fixes an exploit to root the phone, you can still keep your root? If so, that is awesome.
Sounds like it to me, but I honestly don't see how it is possible.

Thinking about the app...you have root and you back it up through this app. I would think the Voodo app would need root or an exploit to be able to restore the root. Even then, if the OTA update patches the root exploit like it did for most of the Droid line(might be an overstatement but you get the idea) with Motos recent update spree, the former root method used technically should not work anymore because that exploit has been patched. Of course this is all in theory and seem to be proven wrong by at least a few people here. I am quite intrigued! I would love to see a follow up that explains how this is possible if the former root exploit has been patched.

comk4ver

Reaction score
so in theory...

i download this on my droid x, make the backup, then i can take the ota update 4.5.621 and when it's all said and done I'll be able to bring back my su?
Has anyone else done this on a droid x?

pistacio

Reaction score
i download this on my droid x, make the backup, then i can take the ota update 4.5.621 and when it's all said and done I'll be able to bring back my su?
Has anyone else done this on a droid x?

Yes, I rooted my friends before the update, ran Voodoo, took the update, and restored root successfully. Make sure you are on a STOCK ROM WITH ALL BLOATWARE INTACT! Or else the update will fail.

Sent from:
[ ] Droid 1 A855
[ ] Droid 3 XT862
[x] Xoom WiFi
All rooted, of course.

pistacio

Reaction score
OP, I think that for something of this nature, you should actually say you tried it yourself, or atleast list some references.

Glad to hear an actual user review confirming it works. I imagine it wouldnt be posted here if it didnt already have success stories, but you never know.

Sounds like it to me, but I honestly don't see how it is possible.

Thinking about the app...you have root and you back it up through this app. I would think the Voodo app would need root or an exploit to be able to restore the root. Even then, if the OTA update patches the root exploit like it did for most of the Droid line(might be an overstatement but you get the idea) with Motos recent update spree, the former root method used technically should not work anymore because that exploit has been patched. Of course this is all in theory and seem to be proven wrong by at least a few people here. I am quite intrigued! I would love to see a follow up that explains how this is possible if the former root exploit has been patched.

It stores the SU backup file in a directory that the OTA doesn't overwrite...not sure if it was in the /system folder or /data.

I was stumped myself, but it does work from first hand experience with a Droid3 and a Droid X(updated to 4.5.621 and restored root!).

Edit: FYI- it stores a backup in the /system directory

Sent from:
[ ] Droid 1 A855
[ ] Droid 3 XT862
[x] Xoom WiFi
All rooted, of course.

Last edited:

comk4ver

Reaction score
Damn, I just finished freezing everything... Oh well time to unfreeze and take the update...

tomv5314

Reaction score
Voodoo OTA no longer working

On latest update stopped working and also unrooted me. Temp unroot disappeared and so I tried to roll back to earlier version which had been working fine for 2 months . No Luck so I uninstalled and had to root phone again. Reinstalled Voodoo and same thing happened. Uninstalled and rerooted phone again then went to bed. Tonight after work was going to try Voodoo again and now says not compatible with this device. Apparently a Moto user spammed dev with complaints so all Motorola phones can no longer use or download the app. Seems harsh that the foolish actions of a Motorola phone owner has lost a very good app from having the dev who has provided many updates to app to correct problem with update with Moto phones. I hope this gets resolved. I miss having the app and hope to have it back soon.

Last edited:

genebopp

Reaction score
there is a voodoo apk file in the utility that everyone talks about. I just put that apk in my dropbox file and ran it from there. I got the version that does work. If I look at play it does show that it wants to update, i just don't let it update.

datboiwizzie

Reaction score
If you go to the app in the Play Store...it says that they fixed the incompatibility issues