OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Do you ever archive emails on purpose? There's a setting for whether the default action is to archive or delete. I always switch it to delete. That way, I can delete junk emails from my watch/notification shade without ever having to fully open them.

If you change that setting, the archive button on the notification changes to delete and swiping right deletes as well.

EDIT: Swiping right OR left will delete once the setting is changed. I just double checked to see if swiping left does anything different.

Yea, you can do that in Gmail (archive or delete) as well as Moto's email app. Thought it was pretty standard...
It's not obvious in Gmail until you change an option:

Settings > Change ARCHIVE AND DELETE actions to SHOW DELETE ONLY
SWIPE TO ARCHIVE changes to SWIPE TO DELETE

Never knew that fellas... thx

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Happy to help! I don't archive many emails. When I'm done with them, they get deleted. A few important ones just live in my inbox. If they may be important later, like product license keys, I might archive them so they're out of the way, but available for future reference.

Since I delete way more than I archive, I like delete to be my default.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Does anyone archive. Google used to really push that hard. Drive me nuts. You give me a big ass mailbox, let me search it at light speed, why do I need archive? Folder, tag, or delete.... Who archives?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I assume SOMEONE must like it. It's the default. Although, I'm sure they push it because their computer snoop our email, so if we'd archive everything instead of delete, it's out of our way, but still accessible to them for data mining.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I archive. Hate organizing my personal emails.
I don't really worry about folders in my personal email, so, like I said, I do just go ahead & archive some important things so I can search for them later, but also like I said, I don't want that to be the default action.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've deleted a few emails that I later needed for CYA and I still kick myself for them. So now all important emails get archived, junk deleted.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I delete the junk but never archive..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've deleted a few emails that I later needed for CYA and I still kick myself for them. So now all important emails get archived, junk deleted.
I ran into that when trying to send my 6P in for repair. I'd bought it direct from Huawei, but I accidentally deleted the email with my order number/etc. and they needed it to prove that this was the phone I bought from them and that it indeed came to them. I swear I saved that email, but I guess not. It's definitely nice to have emails like that out of sight, but still just a quick search away.

k1601

Reaction score
I deleted this app almost as some as I downloaded it... My primary inbox needs to be spotless. As soon as I get an email it is either deleted or sent to the appropriate sub folder. Maybe I missed folders on here, but didn't see them in my first glance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I keep mine pretty clean. Currently about 100 emails in my Inbox. Everything else gets deleted. I have two folders:
1 that I used for awhile when I had a small business. In that one I tagged emails: 2010, 2011, 2012
2 folder is for receipts.
That's the extent of my tagging and foldering. lol

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I should make a folder for receipts. I have all of my work stuff organized by Vendor/Person/etc, but nothing productive about my personal email. Haha

k1601

Reaction score
I have about 10 different folders in my personal account (which also gets my school emails forwarded to it) and a separate account for a planning committee I'm on has about 25 folders split between 2 years. Can't stand more then a few emails in my primary inbox.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk