Magnet positioning, etc.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 640k, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Along the lines of related threads with mysterious programming docks and aftermarket docks that cause strange behavior... i wanted to test something out for myself.

The car dock/multimedia dock appear to be ONE magnet, using different polarities for each function. Now I'm wondering now if there is some combination of polarities or other hidden "gems".

When I got the phone, I understood the relation of the magnet to dock interface, but had no idea it was based on polarity.

2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Doubt it....haven't heard anything....

3. ebarcus

ebarcus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im trying to figure this out myself, ive got two different magnets (kids toys) and they are different polarity, one gets me to the car dock, the other to the multimedia dock... the other day i set my droid on my sub box and the media dock came on, my sub is in the front of my car, and it makes it super easy to get straigt in the car, mount usb and go multimedia mode, to bad it didnt go straight to car dock :D hope that helps, ill be posting experiments and pictures soon :D

4. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see someone make an X-Y grid over the droid and experiment with moving the magnet around on the back and then document exactly where the magnet should be.

5. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    at least i sparked soem interest. i started this thread because i read people's accounts of putting the phone against things with magnets and getting strange behavior. makes me wonder if there is some special combination that can be performed to take over the phone.

maybe we need a restraining bolt like what teh Jawas used!!

[​IMG]

6. Backnblack

Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone dissected a docking station?

Just a thought....

7. 640k

640k Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    for? it's a magnet. run a piece of metal along it until it sticks. the magnet is in the left side of the plastic piece that sticks out.

8. Backnblack

Ratings:
    +6
    \

I should of quoted post #4 above.

9. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have, there is a tiny round magnet offset to one side of the "backrest" of the MM dock. You can peel off the matte black sticker on the back of this and see the magnet embedded in the plastic.

10. ezeStand

ezeStand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Attached is a fairly accurate location of where the magnet needs to be in proximity to the phone. For Multimedia mode the North pole of the magnet faces the phone and for Navigation mode the South pole. The magnet does not need to be very large. The magnets embedded in the Motorola Multimedia dock and Navigation dock are only about 1/8" diameter so you only need a very small magnet to get it to work. Now you can build your own dock or check out the one I've created at ezeStand - The Ultimate Smart Phone Stand
    It will hold the phone in any orientation, with or without cases/covers, and of course has a small magnet inside that will activate the Multimedia Mode on the Droid.
    Thanks,
    Todd
    ezeStand - The Ultimate Smart Phone Stand

Search tags for this page

be polite be professional magnet