Magnet locations for custom car mount?

Reaction score
Can someone provide me either a diagram, or precise measurements with reference points for the magnet locations on the docks in order to force the Droid into car mode? I'm using a generic mount, but would really like it to automatically bring up the car home screen when placed.

Also, are the magnets sensitive enough to be effective through the otterbox case, or will I be the first to test this?

Big Lou

Reaction score
If you use Rare Earth Magnets, yes, you will be able to do this through any case. The magnet location is halfway between the circular Motorola logo and the indentation in the battery cover (opposite of the gold speaker grille).

ezeStand

Reaction score
Can someone provide me either a diagram, or precise measurements with reference points for the magnet locations on the docks in order to force the Droid into car mode? I'm using a generic mount, but would really like it to automatically bring up the car home screen when placed.

Also, are the magnets sensitive enough to be effective through the otterbox case, or will I be the first to test this?
The magnet location for the Multimedia Dock and the Car Dock are the same location, just different polarity. Simply flip the magnet over if you don't have the right mode. Attached is a picture with approximate dimensions. Note the dimensions are for the Droid without a case so you will need to compensate for the case. As Big Lou mentioned, most any rare earth magnet will work even with a case. Good luck!

hiimjered

Reaction score
I know its a little late, but the easiest way to figure out the spot for the magnet is to stick one to the back of the phone. The place it sticks is the right place to put the magnet.