1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Magnet locations for custom car mount?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by Sweet Kitten Feet, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Sweet Kitten Feet

Sweet Kitten Feet New Member

Can someone provide me either a diagram, or precise measurements with reference points for the magnet locations on the docks in order to force the Droid into car mode? I'm using a generic mount, but would really like it to automatically bring up the car home screen when placed.

Also, are the magnets sensitive enough to be effective through the otterbox case, or will I be the first to test this?
  2. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

If you use Rare Earth Magnets, yes, you will be able to do this through any case. The magnet location is halfway between the circular Motorola logo and the indentation in the battery cover (opposite of the gold speaker grille).
  3. ezeStand

ezeStand New Member

The magnet location for the Multimedia Dock and the Car Dock are the same location, just different polarity. Simply flip the magnet over if you don't have the right mode. Attached is a picture with approximate dimensions. Note the dimensions are for the Droid without a case so you will need to compensate for the case. As Big Lou mentioned, most any rare earth magnet will work even with a case. Good luck!
  4. Sweet Kitten Feet

Thank you!
  5. hiimjered

hiimjered New Member

I know its a little late, but the easiest way to figure out the spot for the magnet is to stick one to the back of the phone. The place it sticks is the right place to put the magnet.
  6. Sweet Kitten Feet

My overly complex brain never thought of that simple solution.
Search tags for this page
android car magnet

car dock magnet

droid 4 car dock magnet location
droid razr m case magnetic
droid x car dock schematics
magnet droid 4 car dock
mount magnet for car dock on android
what does the magnet do in the car dock

where is the magnet in a droid 4 dock