Magnet in the case problem...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I shoulda known better. My wife wanted a leather case for her new Droid. So off onto the internet I go looking for a green leather case that isn't too big, isn't too small, holds the phone vertically, and most importantly doesn't have either a velcro or a snap closure. (Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.) Fortunately, she was not this particular in her choice of husbands.

OK. So I find a EBcase that seems to fit the bill. But it has a magnetic closure on the front. Knowing that this might be a problem, I figure that if the phone is turned off and she places the phone in the case facing "out," it's unlikely that the magnet will trigger the multimedia or car dock mode. So I go for it.

Well, I was largely correct. But this ain't horeshoes and close don't count. The problem is that putting the phone into the case requires that the flap be folded back carefully to avoid triggering the dock modes as the phone is slipped into the case. Even worse, it doesn't happen consistently but only if the phone happens to brush the magnet on the way in.

So, this sad story has a single moral. Avoid cases with magnet closures. Don't try to overthink it. Just avoid them.

CatsTide

Reaction score
I shoulda known better. My wife wanted a leather case for her new Droid. So off onto the internet I go looking for a green leather case that isn't too big, isn't too small, holds the phone vertically, and most importantly doesn't have either a velcro or a snap closure. (Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.) Fortunately, she was not this particular in her choice of husbands.

OK. So I find a EBcase that seems to fit the bill. But it has a magnetic closure on the front. Knowing that this might be a problem, I figure that if the phone is turned off and she places the phone in the case facing "out," it's unlikely that the magnet will trigger the multimedia or car dock mode. So I go for it.

Well, I was largely correct. But this ain't horeshoes and close don't count. The problem is that putting the phone into the case requires that the flap be folded back carefully to avoid triggering the dock modes as the phone is slipped into the case. Even worse, it doesn't happen consistently but only if the phone happens to brush the magnet on the way in.

So, this sad story has a single moral. Avoid cases with magnet closures. Don't try to overthink it. Just avoid them.
there is a dock blocker app in the market for 99 cents....should make your snazzy green case work.

xliderider

Reaction score
+1 on Dockblocker. I use it with my leather case that has a magnetic closure. I also use the app to block the car home mode when I have the Droid in the car dock.

zambrij

Reaction score
I also got a case that I was in love with...but then I found out about the magnet issue. I was so dead set on not switching cases, I used a mat knife to cut out the magnets from the inside of the case and covered the holes carefully with duct tape. I then used stick on velcro to replace the closure. Works fine now and no one is going to see the inside of my case anyway :)

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I also got a case that I was in love with...but then I found out about the magnet issue. I was so dead set on not switching cases, I used a mat knife to cut out the magnets from the inside of the case and covered the holes carefully with duct tape. I then used stick on velcro to replace the closure. Works fine now and no one is going to see the inside of my case anyway :)

Zambrij, sounds like the perfect solution for you, but the likelihood that this would work for Jsh1120's wife is just about 0%.

jbs1976

Reaction score
(Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.)

I'm going to show my geekiness here, but it was Jerry's father, Mortie, who didn't like the tearing sound of velcro, not Frank. :biggrin:

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
(Like Frank Constanza, she hates that "tearing" sound of velcro and doesn't want a snap closure.)

I'm going to show my geekiness here, but it was Jerry's father, Mortie, who didn't like the tearing sound of velcro, not Frank. :biggrin:

Argghhh....You're right! I'm deeply ashamed!

By the way, the saga of trying to return the case has been a minor nightmare. I would strongly suggest avoiding EBCases.