Magnet in DroidX case provided by Costco

[email protected]

Reaction score
When I bought my DroidX at Costco, it came with a case which has a magnetic closure. I asked Motorola if it mattered how I inserted the DroidX in the case and got the following reply:

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

We do not recommend using a holster with a magnet for the Motorola DROID X.

If you notice that your phone is displaying a screen that you are not familiar with or your backlight continuously stays lit even when you have adjusted the backlight settings your phone may be in close contact with a magnet.

There are certain components within the phone that when placed in close contact to a magnet will trigger a different screen configuration and cause your phone backlight to stay lit.

Tip: Several phone holsters contain magnets that may also cause your display to change and your backlight to stay continuously lit.

This is not a defect of the phone.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

Any thoughts?

TheJester34

Reaction score
I tried out a holster at Walmart with a magnet in it. My phone said it was then connected to the car dock o_O. I don't think I'd recommend the magnetic ones

OP
B

[email protected]

Reaction score
When I bought my DroidX from Costco, it came with a case which has a magnetic closure. I Asked Motorola if it mattered how I inserted the DroidX into the case and got the following reply:

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

We do not recommend using a holster with a magnet for the Motorola DROID X.

If you notice that your phone is displaying a screen that you are not familiar with or your backlight continuously stays lit even when you have adjusted the backlight settings your phone may be in close contact with a magnet.

There are certain components within the phone that when placed in close contact to a magnet will trigger a different screen configuration and cause your phone backlight to stay lit.

Tip: Several phone holsters contain magnets that may also cause your display to change and your backlight to stay continuously lit.

This is not a defect of the phone.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

Any thoughts?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Ya i dont think you want anything with a magnet close to any of your electronics.

In the case of our X, it's because the phone has a magnet in it to recognize the docks.

Regarding other electronics, it's only true if it contains magnetic media, such as a hard drive. If you place a magnet near a computer with a standard hard disk drive, it would wipe it.

This is not a problem for Solid State Drives (SSDs) or flash-based Memory.

iDr0id

Reaction score
put a magnet to a tv, would that be what would happen to your x if the magnet is close enough? And this is totally a bummer, i LOVE magnetic cases, its so easy to access your phone. Velcro would be a pain, what else is there?

scf

Reaction score
Depends on the strength of the magnet in the case. I bought a caselogic case from Walmart and it worked awesome with my D1, so long as I faced it the right way. If I faced it backwards, it put it into cardock mode. Was very easy to adapt and it worked great.
Moved up to the DX, and I'm using the same case. So long as I orient the DX in the case correctly, it works just fine. If I put it in backwards, it cardocks. So I just don't do that. Pavlov had it right ya know...

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Dockbuster (market) will stop you from going into dock mode or car mode and wasting battery

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I use the black pouch/holster case that VZW sells - 2 magnets in closure - phone goes in with the screen facing out. No issues with the magnets putting the phone into either dock mode...As Abe comments above me, there is also DockBlocker in the market that will block magnets from setting your phone into either dock mode.

Technoman

Reaction score
Ya i dont think you want anything with a magnet close to any of your electronics.

In the case of our X, it's because the phone has a magnet in it to recognize the docks.

Regarding other electronics, it's only true if it contains magnetic media, such as a hard drive. If you place a magnet near a computer with a standard hard disk drive, it would wipe it.

This is not a problem for Solid State Drives (SSDs) or flash-based Memory.

It would require an extremely strong magnet to cause any issues with a hard drive. Current hard drives have enough isolation to keep them safe.

put a magnet to a tv, would that be what would happen to your x if the magnet is close enough? And this is totally a bummer, i LOVE magnetic cases, its so easy to access your phone. Velcro would be a pain, what else is there?

The only T.V. that would be affected would be an older CRT based television. There are magnets actually in the CRT televisions that cause the R,G,B guns to be bent to align them and get you the white balance. Magnets (as a coil) also work to focus the screen on a CRT based television. If you run a magnet close to the front of a CRT it could cause the screen to distort and have the R,G,B colors to separate. This is easily fixed with a degaussing coil.

garath

Reaction score
The official verizon leather belt holster has a magnet in the case. No issues with it keeping the screen on at all.

SMarciano1

Reaction score
I have not had a problem with the Costco case. I've had it since 7/15. Very ocassionally, it'll say multimedia or car home when I remove it from the case. I have been checking the display while in the case and the screen does not turn on.