1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

LV vs. ULV kernel?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by dt_, Aug 2, 2010.

1. dt_

dt_ New Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is a particular advantage to running the low voltage 1.0GHz kernel over the ultra low voltage, or vice versa? Both of them run quite stably on my phone, but I've read a couple of horror stories about ULV kernels permanently limiting the capacity of some phones' processors to handle various kernels at reasonably cool temperatures :\ Am I just being paranoid? Or am I really safer with the LV over the ULV?

I am using Chevy's kernels because they run cooler than P3's for me. Thanks Chevy!

Thanks,

dt :)
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

id say just paranoid - if its stable, run the ULV
  3. Fault

Fault New Member

From what I understand, ulv uses less battery. Not a ton less, but some. But the lv I believe starts up a bit faster than ulv

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. Taegost

Taegost New Member

The ULV kernels would cause the processor to use less power, therefore increasing battery life and running cooler.
    In theory, under-powering a device can be damaging if there is not enough power to switch on the circuit, it can cause "feedback" through other parts of it.
    I would say, however, that if your system runs stable on a ULV kernel, than you should be fine to run it. Motorola has built in some pretty good safeguards, so I would think that any potential damage from it would be limited, and quite a few people run the kernels with no issues.
    Worst case scenario: You have insurance, right? :)
  5. dt_

dt_ New Member

Insurance? whaaaaaat? :p
  6. joshk

joshk New Member

You would know it if you werent to use an uLV kernel. Some cant even boot with uLV kernel flashed. If you can and things run smooth, then its good for you. I personally use uLV 1.2, no issues to date. Good Luck,

JOSH
  7. Master Yun

Master Yun New Member

Josh, how long does your battery last?
  8. flyinion

flyinion New Member

I can't even run the 800Mhz ULV. The first time I got a random reboot 5 minutes into a sleep timer app. The 2nd time I put one on (newer version) I was lucky to get into ROM Manager and choose a different one, actually I think I had to restore a backup. It was so unstable for me the first time it booted I actually didn't get past unlocking the screen. LV works fine for me though. Like joshk says, if you're not supposed to be using a ULV kernel you'll figure it out pretty quick lol. Guess I got one of the more average chips off the wafer :( I guess it could be worse, at least I'm not stuck on MV (which I believe is actually stock?) kernels.
  9. devator22

devator22 New Member

I had been using 1.25 ulv since the day it came out, it ran super cool and I had battery forever, but more recently I have been trying to stick to the recommended kernels for each ROM. SS 4.6 came with an lv 1.1, i believe, so I just re-flashed a ulv 1.1, and it runs great. I have used anything from 1.25 ulv to 800 mv successfully, so no problems there.
  10. stryker71

stryker71 New Member

Does P3 make a ulv kernel? His page P3Droid Kernels
    seems to only have SV and LV
  11. brad r

brad r New Member

Every chip is different. Some can handle less power than others. Try out the ULV and if you get random force closes or reboots, you have to either lower the clock speed or increase the voltage.

What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. You just have to experiment for yourself by starting at the fastest clock speed and lowest voltage and then working your way down/up until you don't get any more problems.
Search tags for this page

droid ulv kernel

ulv kernel galaxy nexus