Lte connection

jfguerra

Reaction score
I live in Cincinnati which supposedly has LTE coverage. I have noticed random, incomprehensible, and maddeningly frustrating network drops on my new Nexus Prime. I'll have 3 bars and then the next thing I have none with no access to any of the apps that access the Internet (browser, social media, news sites). I am not moving around so it's not like I am travelling from cell location to cell location. Is there a known problem for LTE access using this phone? Or is it just LTE problems? yes, I know Verizon has had several outages in the last few weeks on their LTE network but these outages I am having last about 30 seconds. Thanks for any insights you may have.
If this keeps up I ma seriously consider (horror of horrors!) going back to a BlackBerry 3G.
Thanks.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
There have been issues with the Nexus' data dropping randomly or having a poor signal. Some people have these issues and other's don't, Verizon did somewhat acknowledge the issue and Google will most likely provide an update to alleviate the issue if it is indeed a software issue.

capt. dan

Reaction score
I am from Cincinnati and I have noticed when I return that the data drops for me frequently. This was a couple weeks before Christmas. Back home in Birmingham I have no issues. I have the thunderbolt and Xoom and both had issues so it may be a Cincy thing and not a Nexus thing. Need to make another trip up and get some Gold Star, Montgomery Inn, and Goetta and verify the data connectivity for you...

prowler85

Reaction score
If it does it frequently enough I'd go stand in my nearest Verizon store and wait til it does it and check other's connection. Could be the network in Cincy or could be you got a bum phone. There seems to be a lot of that with this phone (bad radios). If you could show a store rep when it happens I'm sure they'd give you a new one.

hydro556

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I like the Nexus, but I am starting to think it was compromised somehow. Worse, I am not confident that things can be corrected via software updates. I believe that if they could be, a fix would have been announced, especially considering the Jan 15th return option.

I am to the point that if there is not a solid, concrete fix announced by the end of next week, I am going to send mine back and give the Rezound a try.

I had great luck with my HTC Incredible and am willing to go back to HTC.

Even though I preferred the Nexus when comparing them side by side, I am losing confidence due to the signal issues and the speaker volume. The screen is better on the Nexus, based on my quick comparison, but it's not as though the Rezound screen was bad. Not at all.

Also, I know that the negatives are always amplified on internet forums, but sheesh, if you compare the Rezound forums with our Nexus forums, it just seems that everyone has trouble with the GNex verse almost no issues with the Rezound. Maybe, HTC hit a home run, and if so, I see no reason to compromise on a half baked effort from Google/Samsung if these are indeed hardware problems that we will be saddled with, in a full price phone.

I am losing confidence, I would be very happy if Google/Samsung announced a major update and assured me it would fix all the issues. I really like the Nexus, minus a couple (potentially major) issues.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I had this problem too as have others. Verizon is aware of it but it's not clear if they intend to fully acknowledge the extent of it. It appeared as if they were pulling an Apple, claiming the phone was improperly reporting signal strength. I went through 2 Nexi and both phones had the same problem. I switched to the Rezond and it has the best signal I've ever had.

samiusmc

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I like the Nexus, but I am starting to think it was compromised somehow. Worse, I am not confident that things can be corrected via software updates. I believe that if they could be, a fix would have been announced, especially considering the Jan 15th return option.

I am to the point that if there is not a solid, concrete fix announced by the end of next week, I am going to send mine back and give the Rezound a try.

I had great luck with my HTC Incredible and am willing to go back to HTC.

Even though I preferred the Nexus when comparing them side by side, I am losing confidence due to the signal issues and the speaker volume. The screen is better on the Nexus, based on my quick comparison, but it's not as though the Rezound screen was bad. Not at all.

Also, I know that the negatives are always amplified on internet forums, but sheesh, if you compare the Rezound forums with our Nexus forums, it just seems that everyone has trouble with the GNex verse almost no issues with the Rezound. Maybe, HTC hit a home run, and if so, I see no reason to compromise on a half baked effort from Google/Samsung if these are indeed hardware problems that we will be saddled with, in a full price phone.

I am losing confidence, I would be very happy if Google/Samsung announced a major update and assured me it would fix all the issues. I really like the Nexus, minus a couple (potentially major) issues.

I liked the Nexus too but did lose confidence. As far as the screen is concerned, once I got the Rezound home, the screen looks much more crisp than the Nexus. Everything seems clearer.

YoungDrea

Reaction score
I'm in the Cincinnati area too (northern ky bit close enough lol) and my 4g is the same.... in and out. Kinda annoying. Hope they can get a fix for this soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

tacticalfats

Reaction score
This is a problem I've had as well. Only have 4g for a short period of time, losing all data now and again, etc.

Went to the VZW store yesterday morning and the mgr swapped out my (original) SIM card, and said that they've seen alot of this issue, and putting a new SIM in seems to solve it.

I haven't really been out and about (off of my wifi) to see if that's the case.

OP
J

jfguerra

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks everyone for your insights! I thought maybe I was a lonely voice in the wilderness! So the bottom line is that it could be a problem with the Cincy area, a bad radio or a sim card. I'll start with the suggestion of going to a Verizon store, waiting to lose the signal (which seems to be happening more often now) and see what they say...hopefully swap the sim card and see if that works.
Thanks everyone!

YoungDrea

Reaction score
Keep us posted!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums