Low voltage causes high Android System?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nausicaa, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I must have miscommunicated.
    Main profile is 125-600 conservative.
    Screen off profile is 125-125 performance. I read somewhere that at that rate it won't go any higher than the highest, which is 125. Is it better on another setting?

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Performance clocks the phone at the highest speed determined by the profile. On-Demand ramps the CPU up quickly when demand is placed on it. Conservative ramps up slower. Powersave keeps it at the lowest clock speed determined by the profile. Userspace is just weird. Interactive ramps up to max clock speed the instant demand is placed on the CPU and then ramps down differently than On-Demand. Net result of Interactive is slightly better performance than On-Demand and better battery life than Performance, but at the cost of lower battery life than On-Demand and more heat buildup. Interactive is not a good choice when you're not working the phone hard.

3. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    if you have it clocked at 125-125 then you're asking for issues (CPU can't ramp up to do anything, so the system chokes) and it doesn't matter what governor it's set at. :) However, I still wouldn't clock it as anything but On-Demand or Conservative for screen-off. But I'm paranoid. :D

4. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've set it to 125-250 on demand for the screen off profile. SetCPU doesn't have to be in notification to work right? I use quicksettings since it seems that SetCPU doesn't do much in the notifications area. My battery drains very quickly from 100-90 that probably means the battery isn't calibrated right (about 1-2 hours), but it stays at 90 for quite some time. Using the Battery Indicator program shows me the amounts of volts used during the phone's operation. Does a lower number necessarily mean that it is more energy efficient?

5. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Be in notification? Are you saying you don't have profiles enabled? If so, go turn them on, otherwise they don't work. :)

It does sound like your calibration could be slightly off, but unless it's really going weird like dropping 30% in thirty minutes of no use I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. Just keep an eye on it, and if it becomes troublesome or worrisome or just plain annoying you could do a battery cycle.

I would assume so that it means it more energy efficient, but I'd want to keep an eye on overall battery life under normal use before I said anything.

What exactly is quicksettings? :) I'm unfamiliar with that app.

6. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The notification area, the icons on the top left was what I meant.

Battery is okay as far as I can tell now.

Does voltage play a strong role in battery life?

quicksettings is an app that allow you to change some system settings. I don't use it on account of me having Ultimate Droid now.

7. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Like I said, if you're not getting notifications then you don't have profiles running and all you're getting is the one on the main screen.

Voltage affects battery life. The higher the voltage the more juice is being pulled from the battery.

8. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fur,

I am a little confused on the notification point. In the setcpu profile screen there is a check box for enable and another for notification. It was my understanding that they perfrom seperately, and I generally do not use notification as I do not want the additional polling going on. ???

Thanks,

Craig

9. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Good point, but the polling you refer to doesn't happen after the app has been running for a while (the OS kinda kills it to save memory). A lot of times it'll tell me something like I'm on the failsafe profile and when I open the app it'll tell me my temps are like 100 and 96, and that I'm on the charging profile.

Besides, how do you know your phone's throttling down properly if you can't see what profile it's on without opening the app? :)

10. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that was the opposite of what Android did, it keeps stuff running at all times, right? I haven't seen it exited out to free memory.

Quickinfo shows me the polling, and oddly enough I think that my battery life on P3's profile is better even though the voltage shows its using more. Its rather odd.

11. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    The OS will kill things when it needs more RAM for an app or whatever that demands it. That's one of the reasons we kept having redraws when hitting the home button -- the OS was a bit overzealous and killed the launcher. :icon_eek:

12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Throttling, easy, I watch my 3g bars:) Sortof seriously, I found out that due to my living and playing in the limits of coverage area that setting my cpu low end to 250 was causing me problems with dropped calls and lack of connection when first making calls.

Anywho, I have recently made the switch to PE's 3.5, and am having problems with slayers kernels and heat. Combined with my above problem with 3g/calls and setcpu throttling I am back to where I was many moons ago with temp monitor and setcpu in notifcations until I get the heat and speed where I want it. I too have seen some "wierdness" with setcpu's settings sticking or changing, and while setcpu may stop updating, tempmonitor seems to stay running.

Craig

13. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Slayher's kernels are VICIOUS in the heat department. I don't think they're low-voltage at all.

14. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    +1!

DroidForums junkie!

15. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fur, you ain't kidding. PE3.5 comes with a 1g slayer kernel. Trying to keep compcache and cpu temp monitoring I tried his 1200. My phone has run every 1200 tried to date. I had a major scare. The phone boot looped, generally no big, reflash another or nandroid. BUT, The phone would reboot (boot-loop) in the recovery menu!!! After having a few more swigs of beer and calming down, I pulled the battery, and let the phone cool down to ambient temp. I rebooted and quickly reflashed my nandroid. I have been doing these things a long time, and that one had me freaked.......

Craig

Search tags for this page
5 causes of low voltage
android low battery voltage
android system low voltage

android system voltage

chevyno1 low voltage vs stock
htc android low battery voltage
keep getting low voltage screen on my tablet but its shows c
lag when low voltage on android tab
low voltage lag android

what is the cause of low voltage of an android?