1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Low voltage causes high Android System?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nausicaa, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

With low voltage kernels I seem to get a high Android System in battery, and take a huge hit. Is this standard or am I doing something wrong here?
  2. Milton515

Milton515 New Member

Which LV kernel are you running?

Sent from D1 running UD1.0.0 with Launcher Pro Plus with Red Theme and stock UD kernel
  3. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

I am using P3's kernel on UD right now.
    I have done the same on CN1 ulv and it seemed to have the same problem. I have searched and haven't found any info on the matter.

They were both at stock speeds since I rarely have to go higher.
  4. Milton515

Milton515 New Member

I know that PS3 has standard voltage kernels.... Try looking in Rom Manager, if I'm not mistaking the kernels ate under Slayher.... I had the same problem with the PS3 1.6 lv 1200 kernel, so I just went back to the original kernel that came with UD and now my phone runs smoothly with no issues

Sent from D1 running UD1.0.0 with Launcher Pro Plus with Red Theme and stock UD kernel
  5. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

I remember reading that other people have run into issues with P3 kernels and UD. The ROM comes with a slayher kernel so you should give one of them a try and see if you have better results.
  6. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

Ah yes, I am sure I can just switch it to a standard voltage module, just wondering if this was common. I was also looking up some things, kingklick had some interesting properties, but I am not sure if I can run them, I read about them being used on Droid, but it might have just been the 'Droid name.

If this is a standard problem, I do not see why it isn't reported more.
    If this information was out there, it could save a lot of trouble for users, unless it is isolated.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  7. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

8. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

Thank you for pointing out that thread.
    I've read it and even talked to Skull One.
    I get more confused everytime I read that thread. :(

(The info isn't bad, its just overbearing and I'm an experienced overclocker, it just confuses me since it lists so much stuff.)
  9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Two things:

1) Have you noticed a drop in battery life over stock voltage or any other performance issues or just a high percentage of Android System?

2) Some phones can't handle LV kernels, but if you can run a ULV kernel the LV shouldn't be an issue. If the voltage is a problem then you'll notice lag and tremendous heat buildup, random reboots, etc, because the hardware is malfunctioning. The ECC kicks in and heat levels jump, the phone will lag, etc. Have you noticed any of this?
  10. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

Yes, I could get 3 days on low usage, now it drains 10% in ten minutes while I do nothing.

I flashed a kingklick kernel once, it didn't work so I reverted back to the stuff I was using before. The only reason I mention that is because after that, it went from 80% to 50%. I'll recalibrate.

I ran an ULV, and it was warmer than usual, but never dangerously hot. There was a little lag, but probably due to clocking lower rather than the kernel not working as intended.

Okay, flashed to a standard voltage P3 kernel, the drain is still there. This occurred after the bad kernel flash, so I will restore nandroid and see if this was the main cause of the high battery drain. I've experienced Android System taking more battery on lower voltages though, still wondering is this common?

Odd, after the restore I get a lot of force closes, just like I did before the NANDROID restore.
  11. furbearingmammal

See if the recalibration helps. Are you running a good screen-off profile? That one's very important to overall battery life.

Out of curiosity, what kernel and speeds are you running at right now?
  12. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

I'm using P3, standard voltage 125 off as my lowest and 600 as my highest.
    I cleared the davik cache and I'm good with the apps not force closing now. Battery still draining really fast, so a recalibration is in order.
  13. furbearingmammal

I'd do that, but drop the screen-off profile down to 400 top. That'll help shave a few more ergs out of the battey. ;)
  14. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

Oh thanks, sorry I forgot to mention I have it on 125 on 'performance' when the screen is off. Main is 125-600 conservative.
  15. furbearingmammal

Performance? You're running it at 600MHz the whole time the screen is off, then.
  16. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

Sorry I must have miscommunicated.
    Main profile is 125-600 conservative.
    Screen off profile is 125-125 performance. I read somewhere that at that rate it won't go any higher than the highest, which is 125. Is it better on another setting?
  17. furbearingmammal

Performance clocks the phone at the highest speed determined by the profile. On-Demand ramps the CPU up quickly when demand is placed on it. Conservative ramps up slower. Powersave keeps it at the lowest clock speed determined by the profile. Userspace is just weird. Interactive ramps up to max clock speed the instant demand is placed on the CPU and then ramps down differently than On-Demand. Net result of Interactive is slightly better performance than On-Demand and better battery life than Performance, but at the cost of lower battery life than On-Demand and more heat buildup. Interactive is not a good choice when you're not working the phone hard.
  18. furbearingmammal

if you have it clocked at 125-125 then you're asking for issues (CPU can't ramp up to do anything, so the system chokes) and it doesn't matter what governor it's set at. :) However, I still wouldn't clock it as anything but On-Demand or Conservative for screen-off. But I'm paranoid. :D
  19. Nausicaa

Nausicaa New Member

I've set it to 125-250 on demand for the screen off profile. SetCPU doesn't have to be in notification to work right? I use quicksettings since it seems that SetCPU doesn't do much in the notifications area. My battery drains very quickly from 100-90 that probably means the battery isn't calibrated right (about 1-2 hours), but it stays at 90 for quite some time. Using the Battery Indicator program shows me the amounts of volts used during the phone's operation. Does a lower number necessarily mean that it is more energy efficient?
  20. furbearingmammal

Be in notification? Are you saying you don't have profiles enabled? If so, go turn them on, otherwise they don't work. :)

It does sound like your calibration could be slightly off, but unless it's really going weird like dropping 30% in thirty minutes of no use I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. Just keep an eye on it, and if it becomes troublesome or worrisome or just plain annoying you could do a battery cycle.

I would assume so that it means it more energy efficient, but I'd want to keep an eye on overall battery life under normal use before I said anything.

What exactly is quicksettings? :) I'm unfamiliar with that app.
Search tags for this page
5 causes of low voltage
android low battery voltage
android system low voltage

android system voltage

chevyno1 low voltage vs stock
htc android low battery voltage
keep getting low voltage screen on my tablet but its shows c
lag when low voltage on android tab
low voltage lag android
what are causes of low voltage on the high voltage system

what is the cause of low voltage of an android?