Low on memory??

BoltFan

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain why I keep getting the "low on memory" notice sometimes? How do I free up memory? The only way I can get it to go away is to clear caches and force stop everything I can. I pretty much have it down to the factory-given apps. I think I have like 4 or 5 of my own apps installed, and that's it. When I check the Running Services setting, I have "54MB in 3" and "26MB+9MB in 9", which seems to me like it's a lot.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
What phone are we talking about, the OG Droid?

The max ram installed is going to be 256 MB of RAM. That's not a lot by today's standards. Apps have gotten much larger since the OGD was introduced and phones have been increased in RAM to compensate. So running a great percentage of the apps that are "compatible" with the OGD will result in low memory errors much sooner with that phone. Keep the number of apps you run to a minimum of one to three.

Install as much as you can on the External SD Card, to free up internal space. But the best way to resolve this is to get a more current phone that has either 1GB or even 2GB of RAM.

OP
B

BoltFan

Reaction score
What phone are we talking about, the OG Droid?

The max ram installed is going to be 256 MB of RAM. That's not a lot by today's standards. Apps have gotten much larger since the OGD was introduced and phones have been increased in RAM to compensate. So running a great percentage of the apps that are "compatible" with the OGD will result in low memory errors much sooner with that phone. Keep the number of apps you run to a minimum of one to three.

Install as much as you can on the External SD Card, to free up internal space. But the best way to resolve this is to get a more current phone that has either 1GB or even 2GB of RAM.

Oh, right, it's the original Droid. I've sent as much as I can to the SD card, but sadly, that was only 1 thing. The rest are stuck on the phone. And I would get a new phone if I had the money. I can upgrade, but we're still talking about $100 to do so. I can get the iPhone 4 for free, but with the iPhone 5 already out, I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, right, it's the original Droid. I've sent as much as I can to the SD card, but sadly, that was only 1 thing. The rest are stuck on the phone. And I would get a new phone if I had the money. I can upgrade, but we're still talking about $100 to do so. I can get the iPhone 4 for free, but with the iPhone 5 already out, I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

What is your budget? Motorola is now selling the Moto G. The Moto G is the same form factor as the Moto X, and is $179 without a contact. Motorola's CEO has a vision to "put a smart phone in every hand in the world", and to do that they have developed a pretty awesome phone for $179 bucks. It has a full 720 HD display, Quad Core processor, 1GB RAM, etc. It is however, currently only on GSM. I think that might change here soon. ;) Here is a link to order: Moto G by Motorola - A Google Company

Operating system
Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean)

Processor

Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor with 1.2 GHz quad-core CPU

Capacity

8 GB standard
16 GB version available
Two years 50 GB storage free on Google Drive

Dimensions and weight

Height 129.9 mm
Width 65.9 mm
Depth 6.0-11.6 mm (curve)
Weight 143 grams

Display
4.5 inches diagonal (11.3 cm)
1280 x 720 HD, 329 ppi

Connectivity

Micro USB
3.5 mm headset jack

Battery

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion, 2070 mAh
Mixed usage up to 24 hours

Rear camera

5 MP at 4:3 and 3.8 MP at 16:9 (user-configurable)
LED flash
4X digital zoom
Slow motion video
Burst mode
Auto HDR
Panorama
Tap to Focus

Front camera
1.3 MP

Video capture and playback

720p HD video (front and rear)
Capture 30 fps (MPEG4, H.264)
Playback 30 fps (MPEG4, H.263, H.264, VP8)

Audio playback

AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, PCM, FLAC, MIDI, QCELP, EVRC, OGG/Vorbis

Networks

Global GSM Model: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
US GSM Model: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 1700 (AWS), 1900 MHz)
CDMA Model: CDMA/EVDO Rev A (850, 1900 MHz)
Both GSM models require a micro SIM card.

Wi-Fi
802.11 b/g/n

Bluetooth® Technology

Version 4.0

Location services

GPS, GLONASS

In the box

Moto G in black
USB cable
Quick start guide

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Another option is the one I took...the EDGE plan from Verizon. I got my MAXX (yeah, the MOTOROLA DROID MAXX), for about $21 a month, and if I decide next year that I want the next "latest and greatest" phone, I trade this one in, get the next one and continue paying $21 per month. NO CONTRACT!!!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2013/07/edge-device-payment-early-upgrade.html

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/devices/edge.html

Also, they'll give you a $100 gift card for a trade-in of your OGD!! I traded a Droid 2 Global and got $100 toward accessories!

View attachment 68404

Last edited:
OP
B

BoltFan

Reaction score
My budget right now is pretty much $0 since I'm unemployed. If it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't have a phone. Heck, I'd be living on the streets. But I'll keep those in mind, thanks! Maybe I'll be able to upgrade to those since I have a free upgrade available to me.

OP
B

BoltFan

Reaction score
But going back to topic, there's nothing really I can do? No Phone Defragmenter, no Disc clean-up, nothing? I've thought about rooting my phone and uninstalling Car Home, Amazon MP3, twitter, and other factory-installed apps I don't use.

NOVICE

Reaction score
My budget right now is pretty much $0 since I'm unemployed. If it wasn't for my parents, I wouldn't have a phone. Heck, I'd be living on the streets. But I'll keep those in mind, thanks! Maybe I'll be able to upgrade to those since I have a free upgrade available to me.

Parents are pretty good people to have. It's unfortunate that more parents are thankful for the opportunity to take care of their children. My parents took care of me through law school and I'm thankful for the opportunity to provide for my kids.

NOVICE

Reaction score
Correction: "... It's unfortunate more parents are not..."

OP
B

BoltFan

Reaction score
Parents are pretty good people to have. It's unfortunate that more parents are thankful for the opportunity to take care of their children. My parents took care of me through law school and I'm thankful for the opportunity to provide for my kids.

Correction: "... It's unfortunate more parents are not..."

That's very true. Parents are a great thing to have. I'm thankful for everything they do to me. I swear, if I get a good job and lots of money coming in, I'm going to pay them back and take care of them, just like how they took care of me.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
But going back to topic, there's nothing really I can do? No Phone Defragmenter, no Disc clean-up, nothing? I've thought about rooting my phone and uninstalling Car Home, Amazon MP3, twitter, and other factory-installed apps I don't use.

That couldn't hurt. If you can get it rooted and remove bloat that would free stuff on flash and in memory.

OP
B

BoltFan

Reaction score
Is there a tutorial on how to do it correctly? I've looked online and found like 10 or 15 different ways to root your phone. One said to simply use an app, one said to get the Android SDK, etc...