Low/No Signal and battery drain

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, just looked that up, forget it, we don't have another 249.00 to spend just to get a better signal. The phones were bad enough. The thought of having to go back to our bionics makes me physically ill. Sigh.

Where do you live? At least the city.

I've had the same problem with all my cell phones. I complained to Verizon and they sold me a network extender at their cost. I've seen sites where you get the components (antenna, booster, etc) and can get for a lower amount.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
I live near Utica, NY, approx 20 miles away. I found where our nearest tower is, it's not too far but we live in the midst of alot of trees and it's hilly here. We've experienced low reception with all our phones as well but this one was the worst and when comparing it to my husbands it def. had a problem. I inquired at 3G Store online and they want me to walk around the house to see where the best signal is, then drive to find it, etc....I'm just too worn out with all this phone business right now and don't want to bother. I will at some point. I'm sure an extender would help.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Just a quick note, got the new phone (it was new, in the box) and am still in the process of setting things up but so far after over an hour it's holding steady at 3g, the other phone was most of the time at 1x or no service, sometimes 3g and 4g at work. I don't want to jinx it but seems there IS a difference. Hoping things continue! Will let you know tomorrow if it's holding steady!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting back. I've been checking to see if you'd gotten your phone and replied again yet.
Also glad it was new and not a refurb

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Yes, it's def. better than the last one. Haven't been able to compare to the hubby's yet but it rarely goes below 3g, rarely. The other one was rarely IN 3g so I know there's a marked improvement. I do want to do something about boosting our signal at home sometime in the future. By the way, I never did hear back from "the engineers".

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's def. better than the last one. Haven't been able to compare to the hubby's yet but it rarely goes below 3g, rarely. The other one was rarely IN 3g so I know there's a marked improvement. I do want to do something about boosting our signal at home sometime in the future. By the way, I never did hear back from "the engineers".

You won't hear back if there isn't anything beyond range from cell and other natural phenomenon causing the issue.
The only reason I got any response was I saw the guy outside my house running the test and caught him before he could get back in his truck and he said my area is a well known, amongst the local employees, as a trouble spot. They even have a name for the area "the old town hole". He said they'd be adding another cell while they were upgrading to LTE in the area, that it was already in the plan. That was 2011 and still no new cell.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

m3incorp

Reaction score
Glad you got your phone issue worked out. That local store of yours wasn't following Verizons' rules if they wouldn't swap out your phone as long as it was less than 14 days old. If they said it would mess up their inventory, then they should stop doing inventory with pencil and paper and move to technology. BTW, there is a difference between Verizon corporate stores and Verizon authorized stores. The authorized stores are private companies and guess what their main purpose is....yep to make the owner money. I do have to say all the Verizon stores in my area of Colorado do tend to go out of their way to satisfy the customer. I had the Motorola Razr before buying my S4. I complained monthly about it and received five replacements. Two months before my 2 year contract was up, Motorola intervened and sent me a brand new one from the factory. Needles to say, I had already gotten the S4 by using my son's upgrade.