Low/No Signal and battery drain

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Ok, decision made, going to the store this afternoon (ok, stop clapping). Put phones side by side in a few spots last night and this morning, his is consistently at 93 or 94 (once in a while it shot up to 103 but rare), mine sitting right next to it was always either 103, 104 or 120. Put his by my usb modem (84) and it was 93, mine was 104. Not sure what I need to take with me but bringing the box, charger and any accessories that were in the box just in case I can talk them into switching the whole thing out.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Ok, decision made, going to the store this afternoon (ok, stop clapping). Put phones side by side in a few spots last night and this morning, his is consistently at 93 or 94 (once in a while it shot up to 103 but rare), mine sitting right next to it was always either 103, 104 or 120. Put his by my usb modem (84) and it was 93, mine was 104. Not sure what I need to take with me but bringing the box, charger and any accessories that were in the box just in case I can talk them into switching the whole thing out.

The last suggestion I have is to measure the signal strength of the old S4 in the store and then the new one. I would want to see the signal strength of the new phone be 10 dBm or so better than your old phone. And perhaps compare the new phone to another one that the store might have as a demo.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Will do, if they even let me have a new one. It's under 14 days so I would hope they won't balk much.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Sooo, back from the store, taught the guy there about dBm's, he had no clue and was immediately checking his phone, lol. I went right over to another galaxy and it was reading 90 while mine was 103. I explained to him how my hub's was different than mine when holding them together, so on and so forth. He said "they" (I'm assuming vzw) said to try a new sim card first. Upon putting the new card in, it went down into the 90's so I felt we had nipped the problem. Got outside the store and it was already up to 100, now how and it's at 103 to 102. Not budging. He said if there is no change after 24 hours I can call in and they can send me a new phone, if I bring it into the store I would have to go thru all the troubleshooting again. Sigh. I'm thinking it's the internal antenna. Ooo, I'm so mad, dropped it getting out of the car a few minutes ago so have a tiny dent in one of the corners, not perfect anymore. As I'm typing this, the usb modem is at 84, phone is next to it and at 103 4 asu.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sooo, back from the store, taught the guy there about dBm's, he had no clue and was immediately checking his phone, lol. I went right over to another galaxy and it was reading 90 while mine was 103. I explained to him how my hub's was different than mine when holding them together, so on and so forth. He said "they" (I'm assuming vzw) said to try a new sim card first. Upon putting the new card in, it went down into the 90's so I felt we had nipped the problem. Got outside the store and it was already up to 100, now how and it's at 103 to 102. Not budging. He said if there is no change after 24 hours I can call in and they can send me a new phone, if I bring it into the store I would have to go thru all the troubleshooting again. Sigh. I'm thinking it's the internal antenna. Ooo, I'm so mad, dropped it getting out of the car a few minutes ago so have a tiny dent in one of the corners, not perfect anymore. As I'm typing this, the usb modem is at 84, phone is next to it and at 103 4 asu.

Good you got it narrowed down to the definite culprit and yes I get a kick out of watching their eyes glaze over when a customer that knows their stuff comes in and asks them questions that cannot be answered with *228 or factory reset. Some actually want to learn the stuff we talk about on these forums but some just get that look of "oh no not another one"

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
He was very interested, he said they don't teach them any of that stuff. I told him I've learned everything online and I'd be happy to come down and teach a course, lol. We're holding steady at 103, I don't think I'm going to wait the 24 hours he asked me to, will probably try to call tonight and ask them nicely if they can just swap out the phone and get this over with.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and call. I wouldn't wait. Are you going to replace with the same or a different phone?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mike BUT I would absolutely make sure they are very very very clear that you want a NEW phone, not a refurb, not a factory certified like new, not fcln(acronym for last phrase) or any other words they use other than Brand New In Box.
The in store should have noted your account about the situation but stranger things have happened so they might be unaware at the call centers.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
Gonna wait and call in the morning, got busy. I will definitely be sure to mention that I expect a NEW phone not a refurb, and yes, I want to stay with the s4, I like it otherwise. There just isn't anything else out there that thrills me. I certainly wouldn't mind a refurb if I was out of a 30 or so day window but this is only a week and a couple days. I just hope they do this quickly, I think I have to have the rebate in by the end of the month (not that it's that hard to do). I watched the guy in the store type in that we tried a new sim card he specifically told me he was sure to note it on my account so that when I call they'll pretty much be at the last resort - a replacement. Just ticks me off that I can't go in the store and do it, I mean I can, but he said I'd have to go thru all the troubleshooting again, doesn't make sense but what does nowadays.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Gonna wait and call in the morning, got busy. I will definitely be sure to mention that I expect a NEW phone not a refurb, and yes, I want to stay with the s4, I like it otherwise. There just isn't anything else out there that thrills me. I certainly wouldn't mind a refurb if I was out of a 30 or so day window but this is only a week and a couple days. I just hope they do this quickly, I think I have to have the rebate in by the end of the month (not that it's that hard to do). I watched the guy in the store type in that we tried a new sim card he specifically told me he was sure to note it on my account so that when I call they'll pretty much be at the last resort - a replacement. Just ticks me off that I can't go in the store and do it, I mean I can, but he said I'd have to go thru all the troubleshooting again, doesn't make sense but what does nowadays.

If they replace it in the store - as they should if they have them in stock - then it will be new, as they don't stock refurbs in the stores. If you phone it in, then I believe it will be a refurb. Not sure any amount of arguing will change that. They would argue that refurb is better than new since it is more thoroughly tested. That's probably true, but if you return your phone and they run it through the repair/refurb process and can't identify a problem because their signal level is high there, then it will get a new case and go back out with the problem. Some end-user in a high signal level area may never note a problem either. If the store refuses you a new one, then they are just trying to avoid depleting their stock - don't allow it.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
I'm online chatting with them now...mess. Said I can't return it to the store because it would screw up their inventory. They said all I can do is send it back and they can't send a new one until they receive mine. I'm trying to tell the guy the rebate is only good thru the 15th, it just won't work can they send me a new one and I will send this one back as soon as received...nope, then like you said they would have to do it as a refurb. We're waiting for a supervisor now. This is crazy.

OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
So, still chatting, it's got to be at least an hour by now, probably more. AFter going back and forth, whining (hard to do just by typing) they have FINALLY agreed to send me a new phone on Monday and let me return this dud after receiving the new one. I told the guy that he deserves an award, he's really, really tried to help me. It's like pulling teeth. So, I have another phone on my credit card that will be taken off once they receive the return (think I'd better insure it, with my luck, lol). So, I should be fine with sending in the rebate and can only pray that the new phone will have better reception. He just gave me my order number so I can FINALLY go to bed, it's midnight, WAY past my bed time, lol! Have a good night, I'll be sure to report the new findings!

Alextodd

Reaction score
So, I took the plunge and updated from a Bionic to a S4. Not so sure I should have. My bionic was the most irritating thing, to open an app it was a minimum of 30 seconds, even to dial a number, etc. Nothing opened fast. I can't believe I didn't throw it. So after reading reviews, etc. I got the S4, so excited. Not so much anymore, have only had it 5 days and I'm really having a problem with signal. I live in an area where it's sketchy but pretty much just by moving in the room with my bionic I could get something. With the S4 I'm lucky if I get 1x, yep, 1x. I saw 3g on it a couple times. I work in a city that has 4g and I always get that with my usb modem and did with my bionic but with the s4 I only get 3g. I sat at home tonight and tried for 1/2 hour to send a text message it wouldn't go thru. My hubby got the same phone and when he called me at work today I finally gave up, he was breaking up, the phone dropped the call a couple times.
I have taken out the battery and sim card and reinstalled, 4g came up for about 2 minutes then it went right back to 1x, then no signal, then 1x, so on and so forth. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something on the phone that I can do? I can't even open facebook, nothing. I seriously don't want to sit on the phone for hours with vzw for them to tell me to do a factory reset, I have limited data so having to download apps all over again, well, lets just say I WILL throw the phone.

And, another thing....are there apps that are running that are default that I can turn off? I lose a percentage about every 5 minutes. I was at 99% about a 1/2 hour ago and now at 70. I've done nothing except try to send that text message about 6 times and try to open facebook. I have fb and gmail notifications turned off, is there anything else I can turn off that's not needed? I don't have any apps that should run all the time (except what may have come with the phone that I have no idea what they are).

I'm so let down. And if it's just that this phone has a crap antenna I don't know what the heck else I can buy, I don't want a phone that doesn't take a memory card or have a removable battery. That slims down the choices to almost nil. Any advice would be appreciated.

Andreah your phone is surely a huge mess, and factory reset should always be considered as the last resort. Did your phone encounter any kind of physical or water damage? Anyways did you verified Network mode of your phone? I have read a blog which gives quick and effective tips to resolve network problem and at the same domain you might also find how to fix S4 batter issues. Here is the link of the blog, i hope it resolves your network issue: Fix of Samsung Galaxy S4 Network Problem | A place to find best mobile phone repairing tips

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, still chatting, it's got to be at least an hour by now, probably more. AFter going back and forth, whining (hard to do just by typing) they have FINALLY agreed to send me a new phone on Monday and let me return this dud after receiving the new one. I told the guy that he deserves an award, he's really, really tried to help me. It's like pulling teeth. So, I have another phone on my credit card that will be taken off once they receive the return (think I'd better insure it, with my luck, lol). So, I should be fine with sending in the rebate and can only pray that the new phone will have better reception. He just gave me my order number so I can FINALLY go to bed, it's midnight, WAY past my bed time, lol! Have a good night, I'll be sure to report the new findings!

Every time I've dealt with Verizon the human beings are great to deal with but are stuck with horrid company policies. The biggest snafu supervisors run into is making what they are trying to do work within the computer system. Getting their system to stop rejecting their input always takes what seems like forever. Add in some corporate executive gets a flag or some other nonsense if the rep stays on the query over a certain amount of time and you've got a reason why they are hesitant to do anything more than spout some corporate shpeal double dribble they're told to say.. Last month was my 20 year anniversary of being a Verizon (or previous company name) customer and I've seen the employees stay awesome but their hands tired tighter with each passing year.
Looking foreword to hearing back how the new phone works.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Last edited:
OP
A

andreah1

Reaction score
He was very nice, and I agree, it's the policies, what took the longest was him trying to work around the system so that he could send one right away. At least he made an effort and followed thru. We're dealing with Whirlpool now with a fridge problem and they could less give a sh**. I had to put that dig in because I promised them I would tell everyone I knew about their terrible products, lol. Thanks Alextodd for the blog link, I'll check it out...no, I haven't dropped the phone except for yesterday (the problem started right out of the box). All I can tell you that vzw did regarding network was have me change to global settings.
Will let you all know at the end of the week if there is any improvement!